[OOC] The Missing Warlock [4e, closed]

The Digger

First Post
Just a note to say that I'm away on holiday for the next 4 days and will have no internet access. Please try to keep me alive till Sunday night - pretty please!

nerdytenor

First Post
Hello everyone.

We're coming up on the end of The Missing Warlock, which has evolved in my mind into Part I of a two (or maybe three) part adventure.

Two Questions for ya'

Question 1) Do you want to continue with part 2? I promise not to be offended if you say no (well, not _too_ offended :)). If anyone does not want to continue, I will recruit someone to take his/her place.

Question 2) Can you give me at least one thing you'd like me to change in terms of how I've beeen DMing? I can't promise to do everything you ask, but I will consider everything. (A couple of obvious points of self criticism - I need to label _all_ maps in the future with coordinates. I need to continue to post enemy stats. And I think going forward I will post my rolls too, just so you can catch me if I screw something up.)

Level Up!

At the end of this adventure, everyone will be approximately 3/4 of the way to third level. This being PbP, I will declare everyone level 3 at the finish by DM fiat. Fortunately, for level three all you have to do is recompute your hps and choose a level 3 power.

Given that 4e is so new and we are all learning it, I will allow anyone who wants to to respec their character (change ability scores, powers chosen, etc. etc.) within reason.

Some Random Thoughts

• Karis was really lucky in battle. Not so much with the attack rolls as with not getting hit. There were a couple times where I was sure she was going to hit the floor...
  • Todarr - pretty much the opposite of Karis. Walking pincushion. :)
  • I did not 'cheat' any die rolls, in case you were wondering...
  • I think the combat encounters were on the whole a little too easy. If you're in for part II, prepare for tougher foes and multi-stage combats.
  • I enjoyed part I - my first PbP DM experience! Hope you had some fun along the way. I got a little more railroady than I like a couple times, but that tends to be my weakness.
Cheers,
nt

Last edited:

PennStud77

First Post
Thoughts

I'm in for the next part.

I cannot think of anything I can think of that I would really like you to change.... Honestly, I never had any problem with saying "I move one square NW then three W, then one S", but since we went to the maps with the coordinates, I do find it better.

The way you handle combat is awesome; I am not exactly an old hand at PbP, but not exactly a newbie either. But the way you post everyone in order, then the arrow for whose turn it is, then, for the sake of time, everyone can go in chunks.... I cannot name anything that I feel would make it go more smoothly; I think things are great.

"Todarr = pincushion" (true) vs. "encounters were too easy; prepare for them to be tougher" .......... <gulp>

In fact, I might retrain Tactical Assault with Toughness, because my fighting style (frontline) couldn't change without redesigning the whole character.

Arbanax

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Well speaking for myself NT, I’ve loved playing the game so far, I think you’ve been a really good DM, on top of the rules, polite and consistent. With many of us still learning the ropes it’s been a great experience to work with you and I’ve personally appreciated your patience. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Secondly I’d love to continue – I’d like to see where things go for the gang and get to the bottom of this blight and who Baradur is and what happens next.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As for what you could do better, I’m with PenStudd in that I think there isn’t a lot I’d like to add. I’m grateful that it’s been a two way street the labelling of maps made a huge difference in that last battle for me at least. Its interesting what you say about combat...there is some debate about 4e combat being too long and therefore boring. Whilst reading this thread I couldn’t help thinking how satisfying our combats had been by contrast. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the whole stats thing I’m not sure I agree, although we know our stats, I think from a role playing point of view I’d rather not know that the Direwolf I’m facing has a strength of 18 for instance. I’d rather just know that the thing’s huge etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also didn’t notice the railroad, but now I look back I do see some pinch points but to be honest its PbP is or can be slow so I think that’s more a issue to do with this form of play, I’d hate to spend weeks just talking with NPC’s without feeling we’re advancing further. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t be too self critical, it’s been great so far and I’m thrilled to continue to be part of it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ab[/FONT]

covaithe

Explorer
I'm delighted to keep playing. Big props to you, sir, for running a fast-paced, enjoyable game that lasts long enough to finish an adventure. A nontrivial accomplishment, to be sure.

How to improve your DMing... Jeez, now you ask me. If I'd been watching the whole thread thinking about it, I could probably come up with a thing or two. Off the top of my head... The only thing I can think of is that we floundered a bit during that last skill challenge interrogating the enemy wizard (Though his comments were awesome... "keep your helmet on", lol) probably just because we weren't quite sure how to proceed at first, and didn't know where we stood. Not sure what to do about that, short of going to a strict initiative order for skill challenges with all the mechanics hanging out in the open. Halford and Phoenix8008 have done that in their L4W games with, I think, some success, but it does inject a bit more OOC into what is basically a roleplaying situation. Dunno.

Also, you should houserule Stealth to suck less. ;)

Yes, Karis has been lucky in terms of not getting hit. I've stuck her in some bad situations with poor tactical movement, but I think I'm starting to learn something about it. Playing a warlord in L4W has made me much more aware of the teamwork synergy available in 4e, and I'll definitely be looking to work with Todarr more closely, and take advantage of some of those Wolf Pack Tactics free shifts and extra attacks. I'm also going to see how far I can stretch make good use of your offer to retrain various things. Karis has some really suboptimal power choices. And I'm going to have to come up with a way to have intimidate be a trained skill; the way her character has evolved, it really seems necessary.

The Digger

First Post
Can I just 4th what everyone else is saying? This has been thoroughly enjoyable the whole way through.

As has already been said I particularly like the Initiative order bit. I'm playing in several other games that do not have that and it can get very hectic with people posting all over the place. So please carry that on.

OK Now the long bit:-

I do have a preference about you posting SOME of the enemy stats.

1) I have found that knowing the defences of enemies does help to speed things up a little. i.e. if I roll against Reflex for example and get a 17 and the enemy has a Reflex defense of 20, then I won't bother rolling damage and can get on with other thoughts. To some extent I believe this is almost expected in 4e - where powers can attack a variety of defenses.

2) Like Arbanax I prefer not to know the HP of the enemies although I appreciate we have to know if they are bloodied as this can affect some of our powers and abilities. Equally I would prefer not to know about powers/magic/ etc (although see 3 below!)

3) Now this information can be just given by a nice, friendly GM - OR -
this could prove an appropriate use of skill checks e.g. Dungeoneering, Nature, Streetwise etc.

All that aside thank you very much for an enjoyable experience and I look forward eagerly to part 2.

BlueLotus

Explorer
I'm enjoying the game. It's been a very good first experience in pbp games. I'd definitely like to continue. From my perspective, it's been a well balanced challenge. I had to use most, if not all of Moreen's powers between extended rests. I had an excess of healing surges, but with a limited ability to use them - balanced in a way. And though she was very durable, she wasn't able to do much damage compared to the strikers of the group. I'm very happy with how the mechanics of the game played out; Moreen fit her role nicely, in my opinion. I'm happy to see that a paladin can be different from a fighter, but just as useful.

Good job NT. As you said, sometimes it felt the story was railroaded, but it wasn't to the point where it was a hinderance to the enjoyment of the game.

I'd like some criticism on Moreen if that's alright. She has a lot of history behind her, but I'm worried that since she's been reinvented into a divine melee fighter from a divine caster that her personality has become a little one dimensional.

PennStud77

First Post
Some notes.

Not that I'm an expert, but I have been part of a tabletop group that has just got characters to level 5 from level 1, so have seen many many combats and synergies between all character types.

Defenders (including Paladins) have an INSANE number of healing surges... which makes Paladins better, in a way, since they can use some of those surges for others, but their marking works a little different. The Paladin isn't going to do the damage of the strikers, their role is to keep some of the bad guys on them, and if you're using that strategy you will excel.

Karis and Rellek are the damage dealers, and especially in the case of Karis, that damage most likely comes in the form of up close and personal, which makes combat advantage a great benefit, which is why Todarr keeps charging in and getting stuck multiple multiple times, because the shifting and such I can do can keep the bad guys surrounded. And I have an encounter power I haven't used much that does a good hit, then allows an adjacent ally to make a basic melee attack IN ADDITION.... FOR FREE!!! So I charge in. But it hurts. A lot.

Lotus, if you are having trouble with Moreen feeling one-dimensional.... if that feeling comes from what you're saying that Moreen was originally designed to be a caster, and was redesigned as a Paladin, then maybe Moreen is supposed to be a cleric???

Would you like to be the cleric, not the fighter, and Todarr be the fighter, not the warlord??? Let me be clear: I have thoroughly enjoyed being the tactician (and please let me know if anyone feels I'm throwing around my orders too much, I have enjoyed it but can take it down a notch if requested), and don't necessarily WANT this change, but (and of course with DM approval), Todarr as a frontline sticky fighter isn't that much of a change, really. Whereas Moreen as a cleric would be very different, but if you want to at least try it out, let us know.

nerdytenor

First Post
Thank you all for your kind words. I wasn't fishing for compliments (well, not consciously anyway), but I confess they are nice to hear. :) Of course the quality of the game hinges as much or more on the players than the DM (unless the DM seriously sucks), so really you have yourselves to thank.

So, a lot of points raised - I'll try to comment on a few of them before I fall asleep (looong day today).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads