5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Explorer
I think Sloobudop makes the most sense.

Btw, do all PCs know about the plans for escape by now?
Yes. Sarith, Derendil and Stool also do (at a minimum) along with anyone else you want to include. Sarith recommends eventually getting to Neverlight Grove and using Drum to gain their gratitude and aid. He's willing to help guide you there (I'm sure someone can roll well enough on insight to know that he has some ulterior motive but seems sincerely interested in getting there).
 

Uller

Explorer
Also of use to you is the garrison: Numbers vary, patrols have come and gone. A decent sized patrol recently left towards Menzonberrenzan. You estimate the following remains:

18 male drow: two on duty in the guard tower, one each at each "watch post" at either end, two or three overseeing a work detail and the remainder relaxing in area 2 or 3.

7 male drow officers (including Jorlan and Shoor): One in the guard tower, one with a work detail and one moving about making sure everyone else is doing what they are supposed to be doing (usually this one ends up in 3) Shoor is usually with Ilvana and never does work details or guard tower duty. The others are in Area 4 or 3.

Asha: You don't know where she spends most of her time...perhaps in the room above Ilvana's quarters and she keeps some space in Area 4 closest to 6-8.

Ilvana (FYI, the book calls her Ilvara...I didn't change it on purpose but let's stick with Ilvana): Usually in 6-8 or in the common area that 2,3 and 4 all attach to.

12 Quaggoths - Usually 6 are with work details or wandering about doing work on their own and 6 are usually in 12

At least 6 giant spiders that are trained and a bunch of smaller ones that wander about.
 

SunGold

Villager
[MENTION=6801331]DMAesh[/MENTION] your plan works for me.

Heading in the general direction of Sloobludop sounds good too, but should we actually approach it or bypass it and make for Blingdenstone? Shuushar seems ok, but aren't kuo-toa generally evil? I'm not sure why they would help us (or do anything other than kill us on sight).

Same goes for Gracklestugh...I have no desire to go near a duergar settlement. Basically Blingdenstone and Neverlight Grove are the only places that look even vaguely safe.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
But Sloobludop is on the edge of the subterranian highway called Darklake. We could go there and decide on-route if we want to bypass it or go visit the place.
 

Uller

Explorer
Koa-toa have a reputation for being evil, yes, and often engage in taking slaves, making sacrifices to dark fish gods and the like. But they are not at perpetual war with other races the way drow are and mainly have a reputation for keeping to themselves. Shuushar definitely does not seem evil. If you talk to him you could probably get at least some advice on how to approach Sloobludop and/or navigate Darklake. He would definitely like to return to his life of solitude there (although he seems generally unwilling to take direct action to make that happen himself).

The Duergar also have a reputation for evil but are well known to actively trade with other races and have no love for the drow. If you are well armed enough to protect yourself it is unlikely they would just up and attack you for no reason. You'd have to talk to Buppido or perhaps Sarith to learn what to expect there.
 

Zansy

Explorer
I'm actually most curious about Blingdenstone. Klep is as well. He likes the three smurfs. What could we find out about svirfneblins, and about their city?
 

Uller

Explorer
In spending a little time with the deep gnomes you are able to learn some things about their city. Snrivfneblin are not good at keeping histories...for time out of memory Blingdenstone was a secretive city occupied by thousands of gnomes and hidden by magic and trickery. But when they took in a renegade drow who eventually convinced them to join in a war between the dwarves of Mithral Hall and the drow of Menzoberrenzan. The drow were defeated and repulsed but over time they rebuilt their forces and eventually laid siege to the now revealed city. Alone the gnomes were no match for the drow, Blingdenstone fell and it's citizens that survived taken away in chains.

Within the last few decades, a few have begun to return to their ancestral homeland. But from what you are able to learn that all hangs in the balance. Drow raids and monsters of the underdark make life difficult and lately attacks by earth elementals and strange oozes have made things even more so.

You get the impression that many in Blingdenstone desire to return to the old days of living in secrecy so they are suspicious of strangers, but at the same time their hands are so full that they may welcome anyone who could help them. What help they might offer you might depend on what help you can offer them.
[MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION], are you making any attempt to hide your motivations from the gnomes? If so, make a deception check to be opposed by their 'passive' insight (10).
 

DMAesh

Villager
I think that based on all that we know about things, Blingdenstone sounds like the best bet. However, Ezraen does not even know that Menzoberranzan is the drow city, though I do. Based on what Ezraen knows, since the Kua-toa and Duergar are generally considered evil, I think Ezraen would vote for Blingdenstone, and if Shuushar offers to guide us across the Darklake, all the better. However, he also has a soft spot for helping and would be willing to escort little Drum home to Neverlight Grove first.
 

Zansy

Explorer
are you making any attempt to hide your motivations from the gnomes? If so, make a deception check to be opposed by their 'passive' insight (10).
forgive me if I sound a little thick, but which motivations would those be?
Like I said I like the svirfneblins both IC and OOC. If nobody objects I'd like to take them with us. Or at least either the gambler or the duo, if anybody has concerns over any them in particular.
If others would tell Klep to be suspicious of them, he would be. He is very impressionable, but frankly I think if we want to go to Blingdenstone (- The city that chimes to Klep's muse for a while now without even knowing why-) taking the smurfs might be a smart wager.

EDIT: from what you explained, it also kind of sounds like a "Promised Land" for the deep gnomes. That would make Klep want to learn about it even more. But again. If you guys don't trust them, neither will Klep.
 
Last edited:

SunGold

Villager
Got a few questions.

1. Is the flint dagger that Drum gave me "daggerlike" enough that I'll be able to use it like one, or is it going to be a generic improvised weapon?

2. The pile of rocks by the door that the key is in...are those rocks big enough for us to use as improvised weapons?

3. I had a bear claw in my inventory. It isn't currently a spell focus, but if this character survives to level 3 it will be her totem for Totem Warrior skills/spells. Would the claw be at the guard tower or is that something I'll need to find in Ilvana's?
 

Uller

Explorer
Got a few questions.

1. Is the flint dagger that Drum gave me "daggerlike" enough that I'll be able to use it like one, or is it going to be a generic improvised weapon?

2. The pile of rocks by the door that the key is in...are those rocks big enough for us to use as improvised weapons?

3. I had a bear claw in my inventory. It isn't currently a spell focus, but if this character survives to level 3 it will be her totem for Totem Warrior skills/spells. Would the claw be at the guard tower or is that something I'll need to find in Ilvana's?
1: works like a dagger

2: Probably mainly as throw. You know what else can be used as improvised weapons? Shackles.

3: Well...it's not in the guard tower. It could be in Ilvana's, maybe in the chest. You didn't see it among the various holy symbols. Between what was seen in the tower and what is likely in Ilvana's probably doesn't account for _all_ your gear. Things that are of no use to the drow, can't be defiled as a sacrifice to Lolth and can't be sent back to Menzoberrenzan to be sold (things like spare clothing, bed rolls, jewelry with no real value, etc) have not been found yet.

Does Surana or Bertram want to try to accomplish anything while exploring either of the towers or do they just return to the pen to report what they've found?

Does anyone else want to accomplish anything or are you all now just waiting for things to start moving?
 

SunGold

Villager
Oh, I didn't realize I had the option to do anything in the tower. Don't see much to do in any case. (Guess I could try and swipe the traps map, but with two guards watching me...ugh. Here's hoping Sarith knows that stuff.)

Think I'm pretty much good to go.

I don't care who comes with us at this point. Bring 'em all. We can eat anyone we don't like. :p
 

DMAesh

Villager
I think I am good to go, unless there were any other opportunities to find small "palm-able" items that could help us further. If we are aware that the appointed time is coming up, I will moved closer to Evandur and attempt to pick the locks on his shackles. If we have enough time, I will try to free as many of us as possible. (Evandur first, because I trust him, then Erevan next because he can probably pick me free easier than I can myself, then probably Surana because she seems like the "ringleader".)

[roll0]
[roll1]
 

Uller

Explorer
Oh man. Now we are stuck here foreeeeever. I assume I can't really assist with this?
Sure. But assistance would, at best wipe out the disadvantage roll. A 7 is still a failure. So you're still stuck. Someone else could give it a try, however. It might be good to have one or two folks out of their shackles when the fit hits the shan...

FWIW, Due to the limitations of this format I'm being pretty lenient on things like aid another or other instances where a one character can help another. To keep things moving I want people to be able to roll as they say what they do. But I also want people to be able to chime in with helping each other. For now, we'll keep it that way. If it starts to become a problem I may impose some limits on it. So far I don't think it's been a problem at all which is why I've even encouraged it...team work will be needed. It's okay to see someone roll, realize you could help and then offer assistance.

I'll start writing up the next series of events. Maybe I'll post it tonight...I don't know though...my boss was calling me last night (he's in a different time zone)...I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be one of those "If you could work this weekend, that'd be greeeaattt...." moments...


For now, a few hours have passed. [MENTION=6802198]Ranger20[/MENTION]: Orsik wakes up and can spend a HD to get above 1 hp.
 

Advertisement

Top