D&D 5E Optimization and the +1 Weapon Principle

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Same published adventure with different groups solves for "what you are fighting against" and party composition IS the measuring stick. All that remains is variations of tactics. Which should be something that evens out with averages.

your not clearly thinking through that problem.

FrogReaver

On-demand nova damage is more valuable than consistent round-to-round damage. Therefore I believe it should be weighted more highly.

no. If you do 0 round to round damage and have 10 nova damage that’s worse than 9 round to round damage And 0 nova damage.

if I'm understanding you correctly you would find the most optimized potential DPR/DPA combinations and then compare others to them with the addition of a +1 weapon factor. If they match or surpass the old standard they would be deemed a passing grade?

Too many 5E monsters are just bags of hit points with one cool trick at best.
Strahd is a great example of a fight where Nova is rated higher than DPR.

FrogReaver

if I'm understanding you correctly you would find the most optimized potential DPR/DPA combinations and then compare others to them with the addition of a +1 weapon factor. If they match or surpass the old standard they would be deemed a passing grade?

close enough

FrogReaver

Interesting. First thought is either a paladin or battle Master who goes for broke and burns all, or most, of there resources in round one. Samurai would do ok but really need SS/GWM to take off.

that rule applies to dpr. Itdoes Not apply to nova damage.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
your not clearly thinking through that problem.

What's your objection?

Example:

Forge of Fury, Room 33, Roper's Lair.
Encounter: 1 Roper

Let's say we are able to obtain data from Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds or DnDBeyond (after they get there tabletop portion going) on 5000 different parties each composed of 5 PCs in this same adventure.
The dataset include party composition by race, class, subclass, damage dealt to foe, damage dealt to PCs, rounds between rolling for Initiative and falling out of Initiative, etc..

With enough data, we might not know if a monk used stun in the combat, but we can tell how quickly the combat ends with a monk, and without a monk. Or for any other class and subclass.

And we can do that for hundreds of different fixed encounters from the published advetures.

We can make a sort of D&D version of the sports Plus/Minus stat. It won't be perfect of course, and no stat is perfect. But it might prove useful.

Last edited:

Remove ads