Level Up (A5E) Orb of Dragonkind

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.15.40 PM.png

Stalker0

Legend
I like the check….dm wise you can have an evil villain in control of the orb, or a hapless pawn controlled by the orb.

And player wise you could in theory do a lot of good with it, imagine pulling evil dragons to the perfect killing ground and then destroying them…so it’s very tempting to use.

hopeless

Adventurer
Due to having bought Storm King's Thunder and the Hoard of the Dragon Queen pair of books it got me thinking that the Giants created those Orbs.

With the help of the evil dragons the intent was to create Orbs of Dragonkind specifically to control good dragons, but the giants double crossed their allies and created the evil version everybody knows about.

However there is a good variant, which was sealed away with so little information on them that they're considered little more than a myth at best.

However they DO exist and eventually will be rediscovered.

Remember that first D&D movie?

Now imagine those exist!

Why does the Magic section repeat the Detect Magic ability? You can cast it at will, and you can cast it by expending no charges, which is the same thing. Also, you can "expend 1 or more charges" to do things, with a list item of expending no charges (which is not 1 or more).

hopeless

Adventurer
Has anyone tried using Thaumaturgy and asking if it can cause any ambient magic to glow so rather than being able to do whatever else Detect Magic does all it does is cause all magical items, glyphs, active spells to glow dimly?

Is that even possible?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Has anyone tried using Thaumaturgy and asking if it can cause any ambient magic to glow so rather than being able to do whatever else Detect Magic does all it does is cause all magical items, glyphs, active spells to glow dimly?

Is that even possible?
Thaumaturgy can’t make ambient magic glow.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It causes a minor supernatural effect, what's more supernatural than an enchanted object glowing in response?
Because it's not detect magic. Also, despite that we both might want cantrips like thaumaturgy to have more cool effects, making things glow is not one of the listed options so by RAW, it can't do it.

At most, you could argue (with your personal DM) to let it cause an object or image of your choice to glow slightly (although I'd say that's more a minor illusion thing), but it shouldn't actually perform the same effect as a 1st-level spell.

hopeless

Adventurer
Detect Magic does a lot more than detect magic, but I agree with your point I was just asking if it could cause such things to glow but not to the extent that it duplicates the spell that allows the spell and its college to be identified using an Arcana check.
(And apologies if I didn't make that point clear as I think I did miss that part)

Remove ads