• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Hey there, Dr. Midnight, what's going on with your love life right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Hey, you know, she could just be excited about you and, combined with a potentially very legitimate excuse (her sister is up for a short period of time), well, why not?

Besides, if it really gives you the wiggins, you can turn it around by asking if she'd mind if you also brought a friend. NOT that it would be a double date, but a fun friends night out sort of thing. Good for the goose, good for the gander, and may take the pressure off (for while they conspire about you, you can do likewise to her with your bud).

I've never heard of a girl bringing a sister along for the purpose of evaluation. That sort of thing usually happens at a family gathering where the whole group scrutinizes you. You wouldn't chicken out on that, would you? So why do that here, if you are right and this is a 'test'?

Come on, be brave! It's only one night and even if it gets weird, you'll have a story to tell. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If the sister is visiting, then there may not be any intentional testing involved. It may simly be her method of compromising. It not being intentional doesn't mean it won't happen, though.

There is always the tactic of being honest (*gasp!* Perish the thought!), and letting the lady know that you're apt to be a little more nervous if the sister is around. A little trepidation is expected in such a scenario, and being honest about it may actually score you points, as well as cover for gaffs...

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
Dr Midnight,

A couple of questions:

1) Have you told Allison that you would be happy to reschedule your date for next week so she could spend some time with her visiting sister?

2) Due to her visiting relative, could you say the following. "I would really like to see you again this Thursday. Why don't I take you and your sister out for dinner on Thursday and set up another date next week? This way I can spend some time with you, and meet your sister, but leave you guys with some time to visit too." ?

(You could also bring a single red rose for Allison, and a yellow one for her sister - but hey, I am cheesy like that!)

Movie, to me, is a bad idea with the sister tagging along. I don't know what you have near by, but if the weather is nice, go out to plaza/port shopping area and just "window" shop. Two girls and shopping, need I say more?
(Also a good thing to do when you want to chat/talk and have things to chat/talk about)

Just my opinion!

Taren Nighteyes

Quickbeam

Explorer
I agree with Ashtal and Umbran. Let's not assume some powerplay game is in the works, but that Alison is telling the truth. In your shoes, I'd be flattered that shedidn't attempt to reschedule the date to spend time with her sister. In my book that's a very strong indicator that Alison had fun with you the other night, and doesn't want to forego the chance to see you again ASAP.

Some advice:
-- Don't go to a movie. If Alison and her sister don't see each other often, I'd avoid wasting two hours in a theater. They'll appreciate your thoughtfulness.
-- Eat at a "fun" restaurant, one that encourages chit chat. Do they have Mongolian BBQ style joints in R.I.? How about those steakhouses where you select your own cut of meat and prepare it yourself? Places like those are GREAT for conversation and setting people at ease.
-- GO ON THIS DATE!!! Alone or with friends, don't back out on this golden opportunity to endear yourself to the fair Alison.

One question for others reading this thread:
Is it me, or do your want to type Alsion instead of Alison? Just curious, because my fingers keep hitting Alsion and then I've got to correct my poor typing :D .

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Taren Nighteyes said:
(You could also bring a single red rose for Allison, and a yellow one for her sister - but hey, I am cheesy like that!)

Oh, this reminds me...

Although for many people yellow roses have come to symbolize friendship, joy, and gladness, they also indicate things that are not so fuzzy — infidelity, jealousy, and all that type of stuff.

I'm just pointing this out as a public service announcement, and because I find the conflict between the two meanings hilarious. :p :)

tKL

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Ashtal- good idea about bringing my own chummy-pal. Sadly, I don't have anyone who I'd even consider bringing along. Most are married, gamers, or both. It'd just be bad.

I've written to her:
Hi- Why don't you just hang out with your sister on
Thursday? We can meet up some other time... how's this
weekend for you? -Tom

Hopefully this doesn't look like I'm being cowardly. If she still wants me along I'll go, but I WILL be very uncomfortable. It'll not be terribly pleasant for me.

Umbran, I'm all about honesty, but at this point you want to put your best face on when you're being honest. I'm not LYING to her- just not exposing that I'm paranoid about being out with her and her sister. Just like I'm not volunteering to her that twice a week I play D&D. :D

Anyone seen the movie, "The Tao of Steve"?

In the movie, there are rules for getting the girl. Only three rules. Let's see if I get them right. (Okay, I only remember two of them. Anyone remember the third?)

1) If she advances, retreat. It'll throw her off her paces, and she'll be intrigued.

2) Do something exceptional. It doesn't matter what, as long as you can impress.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I don't generally retreat when advanced upon, but I'm so shy about advancing myself that it produces similar results.

I do several things very well, if perhaps only one thing exceptionally. I feel pretty confident in that. Dating and knowing what to say and do isn't one of my talents, though...

Keep one thing in mind before taking any advice from me: I'm a bitter person when it comes to dating and relationships, and am probably well on my way to being a misogynist and male chauvinistic pig.

That probably stems from the fact that there are women who drool over convicts on death row, but I can't seem to get a date to save my life. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads