[OT] NHL Stanley Cup Finals

Uller

Adventurer
Overtime #3!!!

My wife asked me(before the first overtime) if I'd watch it all. I said: A Stanely Cup Final overtime game in a close series on a Saturday night is a rare and precious thing...I have no choice!

Crothian

First Post
THis has been an amazing game. 3OT, this is the longest game I've ever stayed up to watch. It was nice of them to do this on the weekend

GreyOne

Explorer
Crap, Detroit 3-2.

It wasn't near the record. I think that's at least five overtime periods, but I can't remember exactly.

In any case, when will my pain end?

Please Hockey Gods, don't let Detroit win the Stanley Cup. Please! I'll start going to church even!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Crothian said:
THis has been an amazing game. 3OT, this is the longest game I've ever stayed up to watch. It was nice of them to do this on the weekend

Yeah much better than the game between the Pens and Flyers which was the LONGEST game in playoff history that wasn't a Cup Final. 5 freaking overtimes! :) Even if the Flyers did win that game.

Btw, nice to see Larionov score that winning goal. He deserved it. But it was hard fought game and certainly the Wings could have won it earlier IF they wouldn't hit those darn posts! ;)

Lady Dragon

First Post
Isn't Igor Larionov a wonder,41 years old and he scores the winning goal in triple overtime and no one deserves it more than he does.His nickname is the professor and it fits him perfectly.

If the wings had hit one more post ah well it all worked out.

I know they usually give the Conn Smythe award to a forward or a goalie and it will probably go to Yzerman who is very deserving but I think Nick Lidstrom has been the best player in the playoffs this year.Do you realize that even though he plays 30+ minutes a game he has only been called for one penalty in 21 games played as a defenseman.That's phenominal he also deserves the lady bing but they never give it to defensemen.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yep, came close to tying/beating the now infamous "No Goal" Game 6 debaucle. I call it that since they still haven't forgotten in Buffalo. Though I find it humorus what Hull said about it to Gary Thorne. "I try to find ways NOT to talk about it!" :) That's Hull for you.

Where did you grow up? In NYC, if you played soccer you were laughed out of the school yard...

LOL, well NYC is probably not very representative of the US as a whole...

I grew up in Texas. Seems to me, though, that playing soccor as a kid is pretty common throughout the US. When I was in Argentina, most of the Americans I ran into had played as a kid (which was good because that's all anyone wanted to play in Argentina, so we weren't completely lame: in fact, we were often better than the Argentines because we weren't all trying to hot-dog it and be the next Maradona) and here in Detroit where I live now, soccor is probably the most common sport for kids to play.

YMMV I guess, though.

Remove ads