• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Star Trek Nemesis

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Assenpfeffer said:

That philosphical idea being "Let's just put out whatever bilge we can slap together - our faithful little fans wil just eat it up anyway."

Or did you get a different philosophical idea out of it?

;)

Only because I watched the movie.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

Only because I watched the movie.

I just thought of something that I wish had occurred to me leaving the theater.

For those who saw Nemesis and didn't like it, try this little mental exercise: Compare it to Attack of the Clones.

Try it - it'll work wonders.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Dinkeldog said:
I guess that would work. They're about exactly the opposite. One is about predestiny, and the other is about romanticism.

I was thinking more along the line that Attack of the Clones was so incompetently awful that Nemesis is a bloody masterpiece in comparison. But hey, whatever works for you. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, looking at dollars this could be the last movie, it only pulled in $18.5 million (cost around 60). With LoTR: TTT hitting screens does not look like it will turn around.

Airwolf

First Post
Assenpfeffer said:

I just thought of something that I wish had occurred to me leaving the theater.

For those who saw Nemesis and didn't like it, try this little mental exercise: Compare it to Attack of the Clones.

Try it - it'll work wonders.

Ouch, that hurts just to think about it.

Back to the movie:

----Spoiler Warning----
I saw it this weekend, but I learned after ST IV never to pay full price, so we went to a matinee. I enjoyed seeing the cast of TNG back together. I was glad that Wesley didn’t do anything but sit there; I hated his character from the first episode of TNG. The movie was full of holes, normal for most ST movies. As for Data dying, I had been thinking that this should have happened a long time ago; it is hard to have an ageless robot that ages. If someone asked I would tell them to see it, just don’t pay full price for it.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Re: Bah!

Tempuswolf said:
This movie was the worst of the series bar one Star Trek IV: Save The Whales. Goto the other thread to see why. {Spoilers}

Come on, that was one of their best. The worst one was when they were looking to find god, but found the devil. It was something like that, I forget which # it was, but i do know it sucked.

I have not scene the new movie yet. I will post my review in 6 months when I can rent it.

Tempuswolf

First Post
Re: Re: Bah!

KnowTheToe said:
Come on, that was one of their best. The worst one was when they were looking to find god, but found the devil. It was something like that, I forget which # it was, but i do know it sucked.

I hate to hijack but could anyone explain to me how Star Trek IV: Save The Whales can be considered entertaining beyond a debased self-parody, the actors giving implied winks to the camera after they say their god-awful dialogue.

At least in STV:The Final Frontier there were the themes of what would man really do in paradise/with perfection: pain, adversity, struggle being as much a part of our existence as the good bits. For the record, it wasn't the devil they found but an imprisoned alien in divine sheep's clothing, posing as Creator to get out of its prison.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Bah!

Tempuswolf said:
I hate to hijack but could anyone explain to me how Star Trek IV: Save The Whales can be considered entertaining beyond a debased self-parody, the actors giving implied winks to the camera after they say their god-awful dialogue.

You seem (based on your continued insistence on referring to the movie as "Save the Whales,") to object to IV on the grounds of its ideology, which is admittedly delivered heavy-handedly. But as has been noted, Trek has never been known for subtly delivery of its messages. If you object to liberal messages laid on with a trowel you probably ought to stay away from Trek in the first place. Of course you realize, as well, that the majority of folks (and critics) disagree with your assessment and feel that IV was one of the better movies in the series. It's not my favorite, but it's certainly not the crap sandwich you seem to think it is.

Furthermore, the alien probe of IV is not a deus ex machina, but a Macguffin. It would help your point if you would keep your terms straight.

I do agree with you, however, that the first film is very good and is generally underappreciated for some reason. I note, however, that it made more money than any of the other films once you adjust for inflation.

Welverin

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bah!

Assenpfeffer said:
I do agree with you, however, that the first film is very good and is generally underappreciated for some reason.

It's those god awful uniforms that every one wears, thye make me want to gouge out my eyes with a rusty spoon every time I see them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads