D&D General Outrageous Accents

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wouldn't dream of disagreeing. Back when I drank beer, I was definitely a beer snob, the kind that would use lager as a pejorative term.
Oh, I’m a lager man. I’m no snob. I’ll drink most lagers. But Fosters, Stella, and Budweiser I steer clear of on account of them being horrible.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I've been accused of beer snobbery, but I'm not as bad as your average Portland Hipster. I can genuinely find something good to say about most beers, except for the supermarket varieties.

Me, drinking most lagers: "Mmm. You know, as far as horse urine goes, this is pretty tasty."
Me, drinking most IPAs: "Mmm. You know, as far as bug spray goes, this is pretty tasty."
Me, drinking Guinness: "Mmm. What else you got?"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've been accused of beer snobbery, but I'm not as bad as your average Portland Hipster. I can genuinely find something good to say about most beers, except for the supermarket varieties.

Me, drinking most lagers: "Mmm. You know, as far as horse urine goes, this is pretty tasty."
Me, drinking most IPAs: "Mmm. You know, as far as bug spray goes, this is pretty tasty."
Me, drinking Guinness: "Mmm. What else you got?"
I hate Guinness. Yuck.

The Beer Gods punished me for my hubris, and took away my ability to drink beer.

Oh, I’m a lager man. I’m no snob. I’ll drink most lagers. But Fosters, Stella, and Budweiser I steer clear of on account of them being horrible.

But back to accents - they are a quick and easy shorthand to get a personality across. And that means using them can often be lazy. I can use a French accent to try to tell people that this character is a snob (and also, probably pretty offensive to someone with a French accent), or I can just have the character actually act in ways that show they're a snob. It goes back to show vs. tell. And if this is a PC or an important NPC, why wouldn't you want to put the work in on that?

Oofta

Legend

But ... but ... the frogs! The budweiser frogs are awesome!

giphy.gif

Remove ads