D&D 5E Paladins in SCAG are all good-aligned?

dewderino

First Post
The perfect example of an Oath of Vengeance paladin in pop culture for me is Inigo Montoya.

Lawful Neutral.

He is willing to work for an evil man to pay the bills so he can keep his quest for vengeance going.

I wouldn't be surprised if the class was modelled on him.
Hallo, My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!

I'm sorry, he's just hilarious. Killer molestache and superb perm.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The perfect example of an Oath of Vengeance paladin in pop culture for me is Inigo Montoya.

Lawful Neutral.

He is willing to work for an evil man to pay the bills so he can keep his quest for vengeance going.

What on Earth was lawful about Inigo?

Lawful Neutral.

The Punisher is a fine example of a LE Vengance Paladin.

Azrael too.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

Lawful Neutral.

I wouldn't classify Inigo Montoya as a paladin myself. He's a fighter with a code if I were modeling him, maybe a fighter/rogue.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Paladins aren't really necessarily holy warriors or soldiers of gods in 5e - they're warriors whose power is fueled by an oath. By devotion to a cause. That cause is summed up in their subclass.

And neither ability score requirements nor alignment restrictions balanced Paladins in 2e. Inasmuch as they were balanced (they weren't; nothing was), it was mostly by being on a stupidly steep XP chart. Ability restrictions can't balance a class; they can only restrict access to it. If the class isn't balanced without them, then with them, the class will either be absent entirely or still unbalanced. And alignment restrictions as a balancing factor are laughable.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Paladins aren't really necessarily holy warriors or soldiers of gods in 5e - they're warriors whose power is fueled by an oath. By devotion to a cause. That cause is summed up in their subclass.

And neither ability score requirements nor alignment restrictions balanced Paladins in 2e. Inasmuch as they were balanced (they weren't; nothing was), it was mostly by being on a stupidly steep XP chart. Ability restrictions can't balance a class; they can only restrict access to it. If the class isn't balanced without them, then with them, the class will either be absent entirely or still unbalanced. And alignment restrictions as a balancing factor are laughable.

That's not how I play it, though I know others allow this interpretation. I use old school FR where you worship a god that gives you power. That is also traditionally what the paladin is: a warrior whose faith is so great that God rewards him with additional powers to use in his name. That's the only type of paladin I allow.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That's not how I play it, though I know others allow this interpretation. I use old school FR where you worship a god that gives you power. That is also traditionally what the paladin is: a warrior whose faith is so great that God rewards him with additional powers to use in his name. That's the only type of paladin I allow.

It always surprises me the enormous gap between the way fans talk about the fandom overall using 5e, and the way (other) fans speak about how they personally use 5e.

That is, it seemed like I couldn't hear the end of "5e lets you do anything! It's free and open to all possibilities!" And yet it seems like the actual 5e fanbase is highly, even dramatically against that. It's tradition all the way, and lamenting the places where it's not traditional enough. While it might not actually signify a closed-minded attitude, it's really hard not to feel like that's what 5e...encourages? Permits? Fosters? I dunno.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
It always surprises me the enormous gap between the way fans talk about the fandom overall using 5e, and the way (other) fans speak about how they personally use 5e.

That is, it seemed like I couldn't hear the end of "5e lets you do anything! It's free and open to all possibilities!" And yet it seems like the actual 5e fanbase is highly, even dramatically against that. It's tradition all the way, and lamenting the places where it's not traditional enough. While it might not actually signify a closed-minded attitude, it's really hard not to feel like that's what 5e...encourages? Permits? Fosters? I dunno.
Yeah. This... is a thing.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Everything?

He is very concerned with keeping his word and ensuring that other's keep theirs.

His life revolves around a strict code of honour.

He kills people for money. He's going to be a pirate at the end of the film. He doesn't offer Wesley the rope out of a sense of honor, but because he wants to kill him in a fight of skill because he likes showing off his skill ([I'm going to fight him left handed because it will be too short otherwise]). He's willing to use any and all means to achieve his goal of vengeance, especially extra-legal ways. The most lawful thing he did was go along with his employer in a plot to murder an innocent girl to start a war, and that's iffy (he could have just been doing it for the paycheck). I fail to see anything lawful enough about Inigo to warrant saying he's lawfully aligned (and Inigo is one of my favoritest characters).

Remove ads