Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2e: Actual Play Experience

CapnZapp

Legend
Writing your own adventures (in the sense that you're designing your own combat encounters from scratch) certainly requires a certain sense of how the system works and what characters are capable of withstanding.

Getting it wrong and risking a TPK or three is just part of the learning curve. PF2 certainly isn't as... infinitely patient... as 5E is. For instance, when WotC maxes out at "deadly" encounters, I'd have to peg that as somewhere between "moderate" "and severe" in Paizo parlance, and certainly nowhere near "extreme".

I have pitted maybe two encounters at "extreme" encounter budget. Over many months. Compare that to 5E where every session had to feature at least one fight at deadly (or far beyond!) for the players not to get bored...

Talking about reasonably seasoned players minding their minmax playing each game with feats, multiclassing and treasure turned "on" now.

Last edited:

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Writing your own adventures (in the sense that you're designing your own combat encounters from scratch) certainly requires a certain sense of how the system works and what characters are capable of withstanding.

Getting it wrong and risking a TPK or three is just part of the learning curve. PF2 certainly isn't as... infinitely patient... as 5E is. For instance, when Paizo calls an encounter "severe" or "extreme", that's many levels above what WotC calls "deadly".

Talking about reasonably seasoned players minding their minmax playing each game with feats, multiclassing and treasure turned "on" now.

And to me that's a plus point. I find that building encounters fits what the guidelines say.

I love 5e to bits but I found encounter building was more hit and miss and finding the sweet spot for a particular difficulty isn't as easy as easy as in PF2

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Just had a player die. And we don't have the gold to get them back. Looks like you can die again and can't get them back easily. Flesh to Stone is nastier than I thought it was.

CapnZapp

Legend

jeffh

Adventurer
While Paizo encourages its AP writers to playtest, this isn't a requirement and many are not run.
I find this mind-boggling, but it explains a lot. At least in this case they have a good excuse, but my experiences with "normal" APs haven't been much better albeit in the opposite direction.

Remove ads