should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and
west and sixty miles south of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of
this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful
behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry
remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this
24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov
and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of
the Dragonscale Throne.

So reads the charter that each of you has in your possession as you travel down the dusty road toward Oleg's Trading Post on the north edge of the Greenbelt. The palisade of the trading post comes into view and the sound of a hammer reaches your ears. As you near the complex you can see that there is a man atop one of the buildings repairing the roof. He looks up and sees your group approaching and shouts something unintelligible. A woman appears from another building and walks to the gate to greet you.

She calls out as you approach, "Hello dears! You must be the adventurers that fellow told us were coming. Do you think you'll be able to help us with the bandits tomorrow? Are the soldiers on their way behind you?"

[sblock=Links]OOC RG[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
As you near the complex you can see that there is a man atop one of the buildings repairing the roof. He looks up and sees your group approaching and shouts something unintelligible. A woman appears from another building and walks to the gate to greet you.

She calls out as you approach, "Hello dears! You must be the adventurers that fellow told us were coming. Do you think you'll be able to help us with the bandits tomorrow? Are the soldiers on their way behind you?"

Prince Liam, on his mighty black steed, rides forward. As he reaches the woman, he lifts the visor on his helmet and produces a broad smile. "Madam, there is no army. You have Prince Liam and his faithful companions. That is all you need."

"Point us towards these foolish bandits. They will be no worry once we are done with them."

mazzoli

First Post
She eyes the group dubiously, "There are many bandits, and they're due to show up tomorrow. I'm not sure you'll be enough to help us."

The man gives a resounding "Harrumph" and grouses, "Prince, you say? Prince of where? And what would a royal brat be doing in this backwater? There are at least a dozen bandits. If you can't fend them off, you might as well not even try or they'll run us all through with nary a second thought. Are you willing to stand against those odds?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Brondelleon keeps his hood up and makes his way up beside the mounted warrior. "A dozen armed bandits may be trouble m'lord. Maybe we should look over the area, see where best to hold off such a force."

Kaodi

Hero
Home, Sweet Home.

The sight of Oleg's Trading Post was a familiar one, though one Pixie had more often spotted coming from the South. The young woman let out a long sigh, one she had been holding in since the Swordlords' men had nabbed her further up the South Rostland Road. She was back where she belonged. And if she died here, with these strangers, at least she'd die out here in the wilderness, where she had spent almost all of her life, instead of on some city chopping block.

She wasn't free. These folks from the Southwest had been insane to loose her bindings the night after they left Restov. Pixie could have run. She should have run. But something had kept her. A feeling that this was her fate: that if she ran, someone would find her and finish the job. One of these folk was a nature priest; she could tell. He could probably track her, and then the big fellow on the horse would have run her down. If not them, someone else hired special for the job. She was bound to these people now. Might as well make the best of it.

Pixie does her best to be inconspicuous when the party approaches the trading post. Listen to the chirping birds, smell the sweet grass and fresh blossoms. Already she is going over several lies in her head, each for a various contingency. Nope. Never been here. Not once. Not at all. Of course, she has been here before, several times, even to trade once or twice. Hopefully neither Svetlana or Oleg recognize her. That would be, well, awkward.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Rhote gives a wry smile. "Methinks that our lord has some proving to do, Bron. These simple folk seem quite unimpressed with us. Luckily for us, we brought our own expert when it comes to banditry." Rhote's smile disappears as he looks meaningfully at Pixie.

Turning towards the elderly couple, Rhote asks, "If Prince Liam is to clear these bandits for you, he will have to know how they normally approach and the equipment they carry. A successful ambush on our part should more than turn the odds in our favor, if these men are lightly armed and armored."

Insight

Adventurer
She eyes the group dubiously, "There are many bandits, and they're due to show up tomorrow. I'm not sure you'll be enough to help us."

The man gives a resounding "Harrumph" and grouses, "Prince, you say? Prince of where? And what would a royal brat be doing in this backwater? There are at least a dozen bandits. If you can't fend them off, you might as well not even try or they'll run us all through with nary a second thought. Are you willing to stand against those odds?"

"How DARE you question me, woman?"

Prince Liam takes a moment to collect himself. "I take it neither of you are knowledgeable in the nobility of the River Lands. No? Well then, of course you would not have heard of me!"

Prince Liam rides around the establishment. "Lads, and ladies, we will have to demonstrate our ability to fend off a mere dozen bandits. I don't expect any trouble, of course, but perhaps we should make a show of it... for our gracious hosts here."

Disposable Hero

First Post
Jaux Rankor (Human Barbarian 1)

"Its been several days since my axe has tasted the fresh blood of a man foolish enough to stand beneath it." Jaux slams his axe into a nearby stump and stretchs. "The bandits are of little concern and will be dealt with."

Insight

Adventurer
"Its been several days since my axe has tasted the fresh blood of a man foolish enough to stand beneath it." Jaux slams his axe into a nearby stump and stretchs. "The bandits are of little concern and will be dealt with."

"Yes, dearest Jaux," Prince Liam says. "But Rhote is correct; we should find out more about these bandits and possibly catch them by surprise."

Shayuri

First Post
Silent throughout was the Prince's Shadow, Kyria. A pretty girl in a simple dress and vest, only the curve of a short bow in a leather case over her shoulder gave a hint that her duties extended beyond that of a maid or serving woman.

She looked around the courtyard of the outpost, keeping an eye on the Prince to make sure he didn't do anything supremely stupid, like start threatening, or slapping people around. Though easily insulted, Liam's innate vaingloriousness generally prohibited him from physically oppressing unarmed peasants and shopkeeps.

What she needed was a good sniping post. Someplace high enough to avoid ground fighters, but not so high she'd be trapped and made into archer meat. The Trading Post wasn't fortified; it lacked battlements and such. But the roof where it overhung the door might be sturdy enough to provide a perch. A ladder would give her access, and she could kick it away once up. But it wasn't so high she couldn't leap down if they set the roof on fire.

Not for the first time, Kyria wished she'd had a crossbow instead of a bow. With a crossbow she could lie down on the roof and avoid enemy fire. A bow at least was a hunting weapon though, and was easier to pass off. Easier to stay mobile with too.

She drifted quietly to the woman and said in a soft, but clear voice, "For the defense of the post, the Prince will need a few things from your stores. I can write you a list, or you can take me inside and let me make the necessary selections."

Remove ads