Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder: Which books do you use?

What books do you use to create player characters while playing Pathfinder?

• I only use the Pathfinder Core rules

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I also use WotC 3.x books

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • I also use OGL 3rd party books

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • I also use heavy houserules

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Other(please describe)

Votes: 3 3.7%

A question going out to Pathfinder players: Which books do you use while playing Pathfinder from a player's standpoint in terms of character creation? Do you stick to the Pathfinder core rules, use WotC supplements, 3rd party supplements, or houserule heavliy?

At this stage, I have started Crypt of the Everflame (flowing into Council of Thieves) with my group. I kept things core only but will leave the door open for extra stuff in the future once we have found our feet.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Here's a twist. My D&D group is already using some things out of Tome of Secrets a PFPRG 3rd party book and we're tossing around ideas of using some things out of the core book.

Gnome

First Post
Just core for now to get a feel for the system as a whole. A few things from other sources may creep in as time goes on, such as feats, and maybe modified prestige classes.

The Lost Muse

First Post
I'm using the same book-list that I used with 3.5 which generally includes:

The Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Warrior/Arcane/Divine/Adventurer, Books from w/e setting I'm running in (in the case of my next campaign, this includes most of the 3.5 Eberron stuff, as well as Ptolus), and the Complete Book of Eldritch Might. I am toying with using Arcana Unearthed/The Diamond Throne also.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I basically just use the Pathfinder core book as a source of houserule fixes for my 3E game - a really awesome resource, but still just a resource. I don't use the book exclusively or in it's entirety.

So, I chose:
  • I also use WotC 3.x books
  • I also use OGL 3rd party books
  • I also use heavy houserules
It's possible that some casual Pathfinder users aren't following this sub-forum. Your results may be skewed by a higher percentage of Pathfinder switchers than ENWorld as a whole is representive of.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am another that essentially ported their 3.X collection over. :) A bunch of Mongoose, Monkey God, and others squabbling in imperfect harmony. :p Mass combat, naval battles, and alternate tech levels are all important.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads