Paths of the Damned, Pt. 1: Through the Drakwald

Lot

First Post
Ottokar, sweating and tired, hears the cry of alarm. He leaps up from his digging and runs over, hammer drawn.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Dietrich has fallen into a fairly deep pit. Several wooden stakes pierce through Father Dietrich and blood slowly fills the bottom of the pit. Miraculously, he still lives. He looks up at you and grimaces. "At least I do not die alone. For that, at least, I can be thankful." He gingerly reaches into his robes and pulls out a small parcel. You can hear his breath coming in ragged gasps. "I have, through the course of my life, had some travels and seen and done some interesting things. I acquired an icon of Blessed Sigmar some years back. Swear to me that you will take it to His temple in Middenheim."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar scrambles down the side of the pit as best he can, eager to get to the man before he expires.

When he gets to the man, he respectfully lifts the package and looks Dietrich in his fading eyes.

"I swear I will get this most holy relic to the temple in Middenheim. I am not worthy of the task but I shall not let you or the Empire down. I stake my life on this claim. With my dying breath, I shall bring this back to where it belongs.

Ottokar stays with Dietrich and tries to make him as comfortable as he can.

[sblock=OOC]Heal 50 (failure) Ottokar tries to save Dietrich but, if that is impossible, he will support his head and keep him from shifting on the stakes and causing himself too much pain until he dies.[/sblock]

Iron Captain

First Post
Grimkrag is slient for a moment. He rams the point of his axe into the ground. He gets onto one knee and prays to Sigmar. "Oh helper of dwarves. Help this true servant find his way to your bliss."

Old Fezziwig

Dietrich manages a weak, beatific smile. "Praise the Heldenhammer."

Ottokar: Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but make Dietrich as comfortable as possible. Shortly after he says his last words, you feel his breathing stop. The package you hold is roughly four inches square, and it feels surprisingly heavy, despite it's small size.

Falandror:
As you stand over the pit, you notice that there are many small holes in the ground behind a nearby log, roughly the size of arrows. Given the location of the log (between the woods and the crossroads), it's likely that this was the point from which the goblins attacked.

Insight

Adventurer
Falandror spins, looking to the foliage beyond the clearing. "Take care, my fellows," he says. "There may yet be an ambush afoot. Let's move this along before we meet the same fate as these poor souls."

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred watches Dietrich die with an impassive expression, "Praise the Heldenhammer," she repeats, reflexively as she awaits the doomed man's last breath. After a suitible pause she looks at Falandror, "You are right, let us not tarry here longer than we must. We need to bury Herr Dietrich and fill in the pit, should we do two tasks as one?"

Old Fezziwig

When the road is clear and the bodies, including Dietrich, have been buried, the caravan is at last able to move on. By the evening, it reaches Immelscheld, another town that was sacked during the Storm of Chaos. Captain Schiller stops the caravan outside the ruins and sets guards and camp as usual. There's a palpable sense of relief among the refugees that had seen the mess at the crossroads. "Those poor souls from Delberz," mutters Hans to Granny Moescher as he settles in for dinner. She says nothing in reply.

As you eat, you can see Schiller sending a handful of guardsmen into Immelscheld to look for supplies. He notices you watching him. "Is there anything you need? My men would be happy to look for it while you relax tonight. You've been more than helpful to us."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar sits, more exhausted than he realized he was.

"Sir, I could use a spare shield or some light armor if any is available. I know that times are tough but with all the dead, maybe something could be taken from one whom needs it no more."

Ottokar grimaces at the morbid idea of wearing something that someone died in.

"I carry precious cargo and staying alive will help it get to where it is going."

Ottokar settles in and his eyes start to close. He suddenly sits back up with a start.

"Also, if your men come across a prayer book of Sigmar, I would appreciate it. Times like this, we could all use some spiritual guidance."

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred looks at Captain Schiller, "For the moment I am fine thank you. Though I could use any spare arrows you find, and if you happen to come across any broken down pistols I can see about getting them fixed in Middenheim."

Remove ads