D&D (2024) Perfect edition update (kinda + thread)

This. But without onerous or nonsensical requirements.

If your PrC's prerequisite list needs to go to a second line, it needs to go into revisions.
1 line for a single stat/feat/feature/mechanic and 1 line for an RP requirment should be max...

Example: Lore Master Int 13+, must have spent at least X amount of time in libraries studding manuscripts

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeap, I can agree with that.
Tangent: I distinctly remember a PrC that required you to solo and kill a monster of CR equal to your level or higher for no other reason other than to join the connected organization. Which meant in order to take the PRC, you needed to 1) fight an entire combat where the other players are just sitting there, watching, Fight a combat that will absolutely kill you, and 3) have a character who can sense the CRs of creatures around them.

Between that and the Assassin's 'be a moron to join our murder club' thing, I'm leery of organization PrCs to this day even for my non-stupid world orgs.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Would something like the really expansive archetypes in PF 1e fill that need?
It wouldn't fill the need, but it would also be welcome.

More customization! Subclass, PrCs, backgrounds, archetypes, feats, sweet magical frippery that does nothing mechanical like a cape that always flutters dramatically, a ring that makes your teeth do the 'ting' gleam when you smile, or an invisible shirt that makes your abs look awesome.

More I say!

~breaks mug on the floor dramatically~

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
There are a slew of great ideas in here. I love the idea of getting the rules down to 5 pages or less as per the post above. I also agree with the post about using the new Mordenkainen’s format on playable races; one-page format is precisely the type of thing I go for…which is why we created the DM supplement that we did.

I also agree that 4e monsters were super fun to run as a DM. I’ve never had as much fun using monsters. I still use the minion mechanic to this day. My heroes don’t know it, but they enjoyed the swarm of 34 mongrelfolk aboard their ship this past Saturday.

I’d also love to see the introductory fluff sentence at the start of abilities removed. Anyone can look up episodes of countless streamed games online and learn how to add the fluff to their game. Just get to the point of what an ability does and let us be the creatives.

I’d also love to be able to buy a physical book, and have it come with a digital copy that I can keep on my iPad (Not necessarily an Edition thing).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Tangent: I distinctly remember a PrC that required you to solo and kill a monster of CR equal to your level or higher for no other reason other than to join the connected organization. Which meant in order to take the PRC, you needed to 1) fight an entire combat where the other players are just sitting there, watching, Fight a combat that will absolutely kill you, and 3) have a character who can sense the CRs of creatures around them.

Between that and the Assassin's 'be a moron to join our murder club' thing, I'm leery of organization PrCs to this day even for my non-stupid world orgs.
I like prestige classes being extra flavorful, but yes they had some cumbersome requirements both mechanical and flavorful over the years.

Stormonu

Legend
Basically, have them incorporate my homebrew material (though playtested, of course).

The highlights would be:

Extra feat at 1st level, possibly sourced from race. A racial ability at 5th level, and again at 10th level, maybe 15th as well.

add a 1/2 to 3/4 arcane caster/martial class (Eldritch Knight less focused on martial and more on magic, Swordmage, Bladesinger, Arcane Archer and all those designs can hang off that class instead of fighter).

Sorcerer origin decoupled from subclass, similar to Warlock Patron/Subclass. More non-combat spells added to the sorcerer list so it doesn’t have to be a blaster all the time.

Warlock’s Eldritch Blast is a class feature, not a spell. Option to make it a melee weapon instead of a ranged attack.

Monk’s spell-like abilities aren’t fixed by level, but instead chosen from a list, like invocations. Also, give the monk martial art styles (like Mantis Style or Tiger Style) to allow customization of how they fight/defend themselves.

Hit point accumulation greatly slows at 10th level, or only gained every other level.

Remove excessive Concentration requirements from many Druid spells, such as Barkskin. Drop the “no metal” speech from the class.

Add back some additional weapon qualities (crit range & multiplier) to further differentiate weapons and reduced the “best weapon all the time” state of the weapon list.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Warlock’s Eldritch Blast is a class feature, not a spell. Option to make it a melee weapon instead of a ranged attack.
My god, how have I not thought of a melee EB?

The Punch Wizzard rides again!
Remove excessive Concentration requirements from many Druid spells, such as Barkskin. Drop the “no metal” speech from the class.
Amen to both.
Add back some additional weapon qualities (crit range & multiplier) to further differentiate weapons and reduced the “best weapon all the time” state of the weapon list.
I miss crit ranges so much. I find myself rolling 19's and then getting kinda depressed.

more things like that too would be cool... I like class features for spell casters over more spell bloat
Hit point accumulation greatly slows at 10th level, or only gained every other level.
yeah... getting the HP inflation under control is a big deal
yeah... concentration is great but like mage armor some melee range spells should not have it
I forgot about that... yes brutal and increased crit range maybe more accurate... reach, I would love for weapons to have different ideas.

Remove ads