D&D 5E Perma-Death At Your Table: How Possible Is It?

How often does perma-death happen at your table?

• Characters die all the time. It's a game, why all the fuss?

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Characters could die at any moment; we carry blank character sheets.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • It happens, but not very often...usually because of bad luck.

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • It happens, but not very often...usually because it's in the script.

• Characters only die if the DM gets our consent beforehand.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Characters don't die, period. Our DM "fixes things" so that it never happens.

Shiroiken

Legend
Regular death, where a character dies but comes back, isn't really that rare IME. The most common reason being a "1" on a death save, with extra failures due to AoEs being somewhat common. Occasionally you'll die because a monster begins to eat you or a vengeful, intelligent enemies confirms the kill. The likelihood of this happening significantly lowers at level 3, and while it drops again at level 5, it never fully goes away.

Regular death before level 5 almost always results in permanent death, since the party lacks access to resurrection magic, but permanent death after level 5 is pretty rare. Normally it happens because it's the cleric/healer with the resurrection magic is the one killed, but after a certain point, you can just carry at least part of the corpse back to town. Occasionally the player will fall to something particularly nasty, requiring far more than simple resurrection magic, usually a Wish. The most memorable in 5E for me was in my first campaign, when a PCs hit with a Confusion spell wandered off the edge of the Demonweb, falling forever through the Abyss.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
We all have back up characters for when our main one dies, which happens often enough to have back ups!

EDIT: this is in reference to our 5e games, but we did it in prior editions as well.

I would push back on the definition of Perma-death meaning "the character dies, not just dying." That kind of death generally isn't permanent. Plenty of spells can be used to bring that character back into the game, if you want. If you can't cast them yourself, there are ways to get someone else to help (usually for a price.)

We rarely prevent those options if the player wants to keep playing the character. The only time we don't revive is when the player wants to play a new pc.

Oofta

Legend
Your missing "other". I talk to my players and we discuss how lethal they want the game. Death is never off the table, but it can vary from campaign to campaign.

In addition in my campaign death is almost always permanent for lore reasons. It's a realm where even gods can die, so once the soul moves on to it's final resting place, there's no coming back.

I don't think perma-killing a PC adds anything to the game, it just ends a story. But I've had plenty of my own PCs die*, it's not the end of the world. I just don't think it's required for the game to be challenging or fun.

*All elves and one exception for a warforged in an Eberron campaign. Actually, every elf I've ever run dies.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
At my AL tables I kill pcs with extreme regularity even compared to my 2e & 3x/pf days. Usually it goes like this
*players: "pets go burn down this caster we know is waiting on the other side of the door while under no meaningful time pressure
*gm: so you open the door & rush in...
... Three turns later
*gm: the caster casts [almost any aoe spell]
*Bob: I cast healing word on Andy?
Gm: caster casts [almost any aoe spell] again
*bob: can I run?
*gm: everyone else make some death saves
*Cindy: omg nat20! I'm up & wand to attack
*gm: caster says "bored now" like Willow & casts cloud of daggers on Cindy before sitting down plus some of ysll might need to make another death save.

My nonAL group knows better & it's almost impossible to die even while trying unless somehow there is nobody who theal or they refuse to.

Edit: in AL it doesn't really matter & nobody cares if they show up with the same no longer dead characters next week

Last edited:

Remove ads