Permanent Decrease of Int

smetzger

Explorer
Ok, I know that when you increase your Int your skill points and number of languages are not retroactivly increased.

But, what happens if your Int is permanently decreased? Does it only apply to the current level or to all previous levels?

*:> Scott

Vaxalon

First Post
Let's say a 7th level halfling rogue with Int 12 is our subject.

He has nine skills, each with 10 ranks in it. That's ninety skill points

Then he gets hit on the head, and his Int goes to 12. His total skill points drops to 80. He's behind by ten.

IMC, when he goes up a level (to 8th) his total skill points goes to 88. He can't buy any skills, because he's still in the hole.

When he goes up to tenth, his total goes up to 96... now he can spend six points.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Vax - if I thought it needed fixing, I think your method would be a good one.

I don't think it needs fixin' though.

--Mechanic Spikey

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Vax, your method is stolen.

I do believe however that you do lose skills if your INT drops. This was the ruling that was made by the sage regarding donning a headband of intellect, then losing it.

Rav

Gromm

First Post
Altalazar said:
No, you don't lose them. Just like you don't gain them when your int goes up. I don't think the Sage changed that.

You are correct.
Basically your skill points are your skill points, you never lose them once you get them (save through level loss).
Its too confusing and tends to penalize characters who have already had something bad happen to them.
Still even "permanent" loses can almost always be gotten back, so in the long run its likely to be a moot point.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, it's hard to unlearn something except through severe head trauma. And even then it's sometimes easier to get back. Losing skill points would be tough, cause who get s to rule on what is lost? A tenth level dwarfen fighter with an int of 12 that is reduced to 10 would loses 1/3 his tolal skill points. this would be rather harsh I'd say.

Remove ads