D&D 5E Pew Pew magic......AHHHHHHH! Make martials all day swingers and casters limited per day slingers.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
You really need to go and read the Wish spell because that is what the Efreet grants you. If you look under the spell you will see that casting time says read text. Under the text for creating a magic item you will essentially see nothing which means it falls within the realm of the DM to decide.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wish

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I am trying to place you as the one who started this thread, used language you knew to be inflammatory about it even after multiple people informed you it was inflammatory, and then said you find houseruling issues that bother you to be an acceptable way to deal with such issues. This isn't about what other people say or think, I am responding to what you've said in this thread. Is it really so unfair that I hold you accountable for things you say, given that context? Just answer the question - or don't I suppose, but then I think that would be pretty telling in itself.

Look, just because you want to place something that isn't inflammatory into the category is your problem. Me calling it pew pew pew doesn't break any of the CoC. Now if I want to call at wills pew pew then I have every right to do so.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Whether or not you or the candle casts Gate the same rules still apply. When the Efreet comes in the DM can still say it requires a task, service, or payment in order for the Efreet to grant you the wishes.

You are still going to be in the same boat.

"A controlled creature can be commanded to perform a service for you…taking any other action that can be accomplished within 1 round per caster level counts as an immediate task; you need not make any agreement or pay any reward for the creature’s help."

Efreet cast Wish as a spell-like ability requiring just one standard action. The Efreet does not have to MAKE the Candle of Invocation, the SPELL wish "creates" the magic item within the casting time (1 standard action). That's right there in the text of the wish spell. You're not commanding the Efreet to craft a candle for you, you're commanding the Efreet to cast the wish spell to create the candle for you, which takes one standard action, and which fits just fine in the definition of immediate task requiring no agreement or payment.

I understand you want to houserule it different, and that's fine, but why isn't that a good answer for cantrips too?

Does it tell you how long it takes to do that? All it tells you is what kind of action it takes in order to cast it. It says no where that a magic item is instantly made.

Yes, it tells you right in the Wish spell, that it takes 1 standard action. You're not actually personally crafting a magic item, you're wishing it into existence. There is nothing in the text of the spell that supports your claim. If you had to follow item creation rules, you wouldn't need the spell at all as you would just follow item creation rules! This is why they tell you all the times involved with spellcasting, in the spell itself.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
"A controlled creature can be commanded to perform a service for you…taking any other action that can be accomplished within 1 round per caster level counts as an immediate task; you need not make any agreement or pay any reward for the creature’s help."

Efreet cast Wish as a spell-like ability requiring just one standard action. The Efreet does not have to MAKE the Candle of Invocation, the SPELL wish "creates" the magic item within the casting time (1 standard action). That's right there in the text of the wish spell. You're not commanding the Efreet to craft a candle for you, you're commanding the Efreet to cast the wish spell to create the candle for you, which takes one standard action, and which fits just fine in the definition of immediate task requiring no agreement or payment.

I understand you want to houserule it different, and that's fine, but why isn't that a good answer for cantrips too?

Yes, it tells you right in the Wish spell, that it takes 1 standard action. You're not actually personally crafting a magic item, you're wishing it into existence. There is nothing in the text of the spell that supports your claim. If you had to follow item creation rules, you wouldn't need the spell at all as you would just follow item creation rules! This is why they tell you all the times involved with spellcasting, in the spell itself.

You are looking at casting time which is not the same thing.

When a wish creates or improves a
magic item, you must pay twice the normal
XP cost for crafting or improving the item,
plus an additional 5,000 XP.

So the spell still requires the crafting rules. XP cost is still a part of the crafting rules.

So while the efreet would not have to pay the Wish XP cost, it says nothing about not having to pay the XP cost of the item created. A DM could rule this either way.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You are looking at casting time which is not the same thing.

Yes, it is. It comes into existence instantaneously once the spell is cast. All effects of the spell happen once the casting time is completed, unless otherwise specified in the spell. As it's not otherwise specified in the spell, all effects of the spell happen once the casting time is completed. That's all right there in the SRD for spells.

The Efreet casts the wish spell, and the item it wishes for instantaneously appears. That's playing by the book.

And you still have not answered why houseruling (which you already admitted earlier is an acceptable way to address issues) is not an acceptable way to address cantrips. I am asking if it's because you don't want other people to play with a rule that you don't like? I am going to assume that's the answer if you're unwilling to respond, as I think it's one fair way to view what you've been saying. But please, correct me if I am wrong, and tell me what your opinion is.

Remove ads