D&D 5E Pew Pew magic......AHHHHHHH! Make martials all day swingers and casters limited per day slingers.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Naw, you raise a fair point and I shouldn't have dismissed it.

In this instance, I think they want the at-will cantrips because of feedback they received during the closed playtest, the open playtest, the polling articles, paid consultant feedback, and the internal authors and editors liking it. That's a lot of movement towards that type of rule being in the game as the default.

Yes. It's paired with movement away from wizards having spells that just end combats. Part of the old style of D&D was that a wizard might not cast spells every combat, but when they did it would be decisive. If you get rid of that "I win" moment - which 2E and later editions have moved towards - then the traditional D&D magic-user isn't quite so viable. So, one solution is to make the wizard more active at other times.

Cheers!

EnglishLanguage

First Post
Why on earth would anyone ever assume that?

Never mind that the text you quoted wasn't an example of one anyway.

Yes it was actually. Houseruling that casting Wishes not be an immediate task despite falling into the requirements for one is a houserule.

And because if we start assuming houserules in play, then there can't be any discussion because any problem with any part of the game can be handwaved away with "Well I houseruled it, so no there's no problem" he only way a coherent discussion can take place is if we're following RAW since it's what everyone has access to.

Wow, talk about some strong opinions.

I know D&D has a history of "very few, but powerful, wizard spells" (heck, I grew up on that D&D), but I thought it was a pretty good improvement when the magic guy could use magic regularly and have it be about the same as having to throw darts or a dagger or use a crossbow. Better flavor, same rules balance.

If it were dropped, it wouldn't be a game-breaking loss to me, but I think the game is better off with the development for the players who want their magic guy to be a Real Magic(tm) guy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes it was actually. Houseruling that casting Wishes not be an immediate task despite falling into the requirements for one is a houserule.

I kind of have to agree here; when you Gate in a creature, you have two basic options: Immediate tasks and contractual service.

A single use of a creature's standard spell like abilities, well within the written bounds of the spell in question, sure doesn't sound like contractual service. Don't want to call it a house rule? Well, okay. But it does sound like an unintuitive interpretation.

And if they were limited to say, 5x/day, they would suddenly metamorphose like into something wondrously exciting right.

At 5x per day they would become something that would require consideration and a decision before use.

I don't know, will they?

Like I said upthread, "uses a crossbow" is hardly an iconic feature of wizards in literature.

Quite right. I don't think D&D wizards should use them. Those same literary wizards who don't forget their spells when they cast them are also NOT using magic at every opportunity and have a habit of reminding the mundanes that magical forces should be used only when absolutely vital and should not be relied upon to solve every petty problem. Sound familliar? Games are not novels and so resource management mechanics of some type fill in for contrived plot device when the magic use question is: why not?

And a high level caster in 1e or 2e can be able to directly toss multiple Wishes or Miracles a day, if they want to.

I suppose. Magical aging is a trigger for a system shock roll. A wizard has as much right to be suicidal as anyone else.

Wulfgar76

First Post
Ultimately a 'no at-will cantrips' module is perfectly appropriate for the DMG.
I'm of the opinion that the DMG should be shock full of optional modules encompassing every sort of playstyle under the sun.

I really hope the D&D Next DMG delivers, my hopes are highest for that book.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Ultimately a 'no at-will cantrips' module is perfectly appropriate for the DMG.
I'm of the opinion that the DMG should be shock full of optional modules encompassing every sort of playstyle under the sun.

I really hope the D&D Next DMG delivers, my hopes are highest for that book.

I disagree. Whatever ACF WotC ultimately chooses should be placed right alongside at-will cantrips in the Player's Handbook (assuming they use the three book model). I see no reason why the class write-up shouldn't say something like:

Wizard Ability
Pick one: At-will Cantrips or [Insert ACF]

Neither is default, both are available.

Now, there are some modules that cannot be placed in the PHB, and teh DMG or UA may be the correct place for them, but at-will cantrips is not it.

Remathilis

Legend
I suppose. Magical aging is a trigger for a system shock roll. A wizard has as much right to be suicidal as anyone else.

Off-topic anecdote. My group in high-school usually loved the Haste spell for major combats. Usually, we had an elven wizard who could soak up +1 year of aging like nobody's business. We never saw the rule that it would trigger a system shock roll. When I got to college, I was playing ye-olde elven mage and when we hit 5th level I took haste. We went to face some bad guy (a vampire, I think) and like I always did, I cast it on the party first round of combat. The DM then asked me to make a system shock roll (and showed me the rule). Welp, my poor 9 Con elf rolled too high and dropped dead first round. Nobody ever cast haste again until 3e.

Remove ads