D&D 5E PHB Races in a Post-MotM 5E

Gnome: Consolidate, though I'm not sure if they'll lean Rock Gnome (because steampunk) or Forest Gnome (because fey).

I just don't see how the current version of Rock Gnome survives under the new paradigm of only physiological or magical traits for races. Constitution bonus? Gone! Artificer's Lore? History knowledge is aquired, not intrinsic. Tinker? Got to learn how to make a clockwork toy, music box and a lighter.

Fadeaway should be folded into the Forest Gnome suite of abilities and Deep Gnome should be added to the PHB (they've been reprinted four times in the life of 5e!). Tinkerer should be a background that is common to, but not exclusive to, gnomes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I just don't see how the current version of Rock Gnome survives under the new paradigm of only physiological or magical traits for races. Constitution bonus? Gone! Artificer's Lore? History knowledge is aquired, not intrinsic. Tinker? Got to learn how to make a clockwork toy, music box and a lighter.

Fadeaway should be folded into the Forest Gnome suite of abilities and Deep Gnome should be added to the PHB (they've been reprinted four times in the life of 5e!). Tinkerer should be a background that is common to, but not exclusive to, gnomes.
Seriously folks, Level Up's system is much stronger, and includes all these elements.

Micah Sweet

Yes but I can’t take that to an Origins game in 2024 of d&d. I can never take it to an adventure league game. And since most of the group dislikes 3rd parties I don’t even have a lot of use for it in home ganes
Do you spend a lot of time at conventions or Adventurer's League? If not, I don't see how that would be an issue. If so, then I would recommend getting used to it since WotC is not going back at this point.

As to your home game, this anti-3PP thing is an attitude that really needs to change. WotC is no better than any other publisher, and everything from anyone needs to be evaluated for each table on its own merits.

HammerMan

Legend
Do you spend a lot of time at conventions or Adventurer's League?
I (pre covid and I hope to get back to it) do spend a good amount of my free time at Cons stores and I do enjoy adventure leave play… why would I bring it up if it didn’t?
As to your home game, this anti-3PP thing is an attitude that really needs to change.
Okay, you mind control the three players I know that said never again after 3.5 third party games or you can forget telling me to change things that are not mine to change.
WotC is no better than any other publisher, and everything from anyone needs to be evaluated for each table on its own merits.
And I have friends coplayers and co DMs (one who is in every home game right now that I run or play) that do NOT want to have to evaluate every book… so they stick to the 1 company and some house rules.

Micah Sweet

I (pre covid and I hope to get back to it) do spend a good amount of my free time at Cons stores and I do enjoy adventure leave play… why would I bring it up if it didn’t?

Okay, you mind control the three players I know that said never again after 3.5 third party games or you can forget telling me to change things that are not mine to change.

And I have friends coplayers and co DMs (one who is in every home game right now that I run or play) that do NOT want to have to evaluate every book… so they stick to the 1 company and some house rules.
Ok, so nothing "unofficial" is of value to you. Got it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases