D&D 5E Philosophy of Greataxe vs. Greatsword

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
About 100 percent of the players I've played with don't care about that .5 damage difference. They choose what they want to use because they think it looks cooler.

Yes, this.

Or whatever magic 2H weapon they come across.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
About 100 percent of the players I've played with don't care about that .5 damage difference. They choose what they want to use because they think it looks cooler.
100% of my players don't realize that there's a damage difference between a Greataxe/Lance and Greatsword/Maul. They just see that the maximum damage on both is 12, and make their choice there (well, at least one of my players realizes that Great Weapon Fighting is better on the Greatsword than on the Greataxe, because 1's and 2's are much more common on d6's than d12's. That's just about as far into statistics they can go).

Now, if only we had a 3d4 Two-Handed, Heavy Weapon and we'd have a complete set of "the most you can roll is 12 for the base weapon's damage"-type weapons. Maybe a Great-Trident or something like that? The closest thing we currently have to this is the Double-Bladed Scimitar, which is 2d4, but lets you make a bonus action attack that's just 1d4.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yes I get the numbers and no I won't pick the Greatsword if the Great Axe is what I think that character should have. The picture in my head is more important than the damage numbers, at least for me in this case.

100% of my players don't realize that there's a damage difference between a Greataxe/Lance and Greatsword/Maul. They just see that the maximum damage on both is 12, and make their choice there (well, at least one of my players realizes that Great Weapon Fighting is better on the Greatsword than on the Greataxe, because 1's and 2's are much more common on d6's than d12's. That's just about as far into statistics they can go).

Now, if only we had a 3d4 Two-Handed, Heavy Weapon and we'd have a complete set of "the most you can roll is 12 for the base weapon's damage"-type weapons. Maybe a Great-Trident or something like that? The closest thing we currently have to this is the Double-Bladed Scimitar, which is 2d4, but lets you make a bonus action attack that's just 1d4.
Why not 6d2?

I don't see how greatsword/axe can compete with sword and board. 2-2,5 on average more damage compared to up to +5 AC difference. In a system that toutes bounded accuracy and growing rate of hit points as features, how are twohaded weapons ever thought to compete?
In 3X, at least you dealt 1.5 str bonus with twohanded. Should 5e have such a rule as well (plus perhaps, an ekstra damage die on a crit?)?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't see how greatsword/axe can compete with sword and board. 2-2,5 on average more damage compared to up to +5 AC difference. In a system that toutes bounded accuracy and growing rate of hit points as features, how are twohaded weapons ever thought to compete?
In 3X, at least you dealt 1.5 str bonus with twohanded. Should 5e have such a rule as well (plus perhaps, an ekstra damage die on a crit?)?
1. Using a two handed weapon allows for casting somatic spells (sword and board requires putting up your weapon till next turn or taking the warcaster feat).
2. GWM is very good and there's no sword and shield feat comparable.
3. One can't assume any particular magic items in 5e. Meaning the AC difference being considered s mostly likely 1-2.
4. Offense tends to be better than individual defense.

Oofta

Legend

It competes because a lot of people only look at DPR and ignore defense. After all that greatsword is going to slightly more than .5 damage more per round for a fighter with great weapon fighting than a dueling sword and board fighter. Whether great weapon master significantly increases damage is going to depend on a whole host of options, but with a barbarian that can go reckless it can add up.

I'm sure someone can give actual numbers on DPR - my point is just that most times the analysis doesn't include defense. It really comes down to personal preference, style and game.

Remove ads