Picard Season 3

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Of course you can, but why when there is a whole culture that is under represented, not make the effort do something new. Yes it is lazy.

Lazy, yes. Lucrative? Most certainly! Look, I, too, think that the live-action remakes of the Disney animated classics range from "Why?" to "Woefully Creepy" (Lion King?) but the simple fact of the matter is .... they make money. They are practically a license to print money. And that's why Disney does them.

As for as being lazy, the original Disney animated classic (The Little Mermaid) was lazy, as it was just another adaptation of a fairy tale. There is something that has been unsettling that people seem particularly angry about this particular cash grab, don't you think?

Snarf Zagyg

Besides, we're all missing the real point.

The moral of The Little Mermaid isn't that hot mermaids are white.

It's that women have to sacrifice their independence and their awesome lives and everything that makes them unique when they meet some boring dude. Right?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
For my part if a specific character has been established as a specific race and gender, I'm not going to watch a TV show or movie where that is changed. They new version is not the character to me and I very strongly dislike when they do that sort of thing. This view applies equally in all directions. I would not watch a black Superman or Wonder Woman, but also would not watch a white Luke Cage or Black Panther.

Rather than try to change an established character, give me a new one. Instead of a black Superman, give me Kor-Bel a black kryptonian with a new story of survival. I would eat that up. Instead of casting Idris Elba as James Bond 007, retire James Bond and give me Idris Elba as John Smith(or whatever other name that isn't James Bond) 007. I would eat that up as well. As a real world example, a absolutely love Anthony Mackie as the new Captain America. They didn't try to make him Steve Rogers.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For my part if a specific character has been established as a specific race and gender, I'm not going to watch a TV show or movie where that is changed. They new version is not the character to me and I very strongly dislike when they do that sort of thing. This view applies equally in all directions. I would not watch a black Superman or Wonder Woman, but also would not watch a white Luke Cage or Black Panther.

Rather than try to change an established character, give me a new one. Instead of a black Superman, give me Kor-Bel a black kryptonian with a new story of survival. I would eat that up. Instead of casting Idris Elba as James Bond 007, retire James Bond and give me Idris Elba as John Smith(or whatever other name that isn't James Bond) 007. I would eat that up as well. As a real world example, a absolutely love Anthony Mackie as the new Captain America. They didn't try to make him Steve Rogers.
While I don't necessarily agree completely with the first part of this statement, I do with the second. Make new characters!

Snarf Zagyg

Rather than try to change an established character, give me a new one. Instead of a black Superman, give me Kor-Bel a black kryptonian with a new story of survival. I would eat that up. Instead of casting Idris Elba as James Bond 007, retire James Bond and give me Idris Elba as John Smith(or whatever other name that isn't James Bond) 007.

Just to be clear ....

james-bond.jpg

James Bond can have any hair color from Black to Blond.
James Bond can have any hair style from fulsome to receding.
James Bond can be played by people that are Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh, or Australian.
James Bond can have any eye color from brown to piercing blue.
James Bond can be any age from 29 to 57.

So you can have a LOT of variability in casting James Bond. Except for one thing?

PS- Idris Elba would have been an amazing James Bond, but I think he's a little too old right now. They'll want someone who can play the role for a while.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
PS- Idris Elba would have been an amazing James Bond, but I think he's a little too old right now. They'll want someone who can play the role for a while.
My choice would have been Chiwetel Ejiofor because he does oily suaveness really well. But only 5 years younger than Elba, he probably wouldn't want to do it either. Henry Golding would be an interesting choice though.

Snarf Zagyg

My choice would have been Chiwetel Ejiofor because he does oily suaveness really well. But only 5 years younger than Elba, he probably wouldn't want to do it either. Henry Golding would be an interesting choice though.

I tend to think that there are two slightly different Bond Archetypes-

The Connery, which is more of a physical Bond (this is the Craig model).
And the Moore, which is more of the suave Bone (this is the Brosnan model).

There's a lot of cross-over, of course, but I think Idris would have been a great Connery Bond.

Snarf Zagyg

Idris already has Luther which is James Bond-ish. Just a pity this last movie was terrible IMO.

Yeah .... I just watched the Netflix move last week (I didn't even know that there was one!), and it was ... it wasn't good Luther.

It felt like it was written by people that didn't have much of an idea about the character. Which was a shame, because I thought the Serkis character was interesting, and it could have been good, but it was definitely not a good Luther vehicle.

Ryujin

Legend
I tend to think that there are two slightly different Bond Archetypes-

The Connery, which is more of a physical Bond (this is the Craig model).
And the Moore, which is more of the suave Bone (this is the Brosnan model).

There's a lot of cross-over, of course, but I think Idris would have been a great Connery Bond.
I kind of felt that there were three Bond models; Connery (suave but physical), Moore (charismatic and ruthless), and Craig (thug in a suit). The last seemed more book accurate, to me.

Remove ads