Picard Season 3

Zardnaar

Legend
Not when you do mass polling of people, which all modern shows do. They all poll to find out how their audience likes or dislikes certain characters.

While yes ask 2 people if character X is boring, and you'll get personal opinion. Take 1000, and now your getting trends and statistics.

Link to any of those polls?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Funnily enough, I'm the reverse - I watched all of ENT as it came out, but dropped out of VOY partway through.

That's only partly Voyager's fault, though - it went on a season break after season 5 (following the first part of the "Equinox" two-parter), and then the BBC didn't really advertise its return properly. By the time I realised it was back, I'd missed the second part, and decided I couldn't be bothered with it anyway. I still haven't watched most of those last two seasons, despite them still being available on Netflix in the UK.
For my part I watched Voyager and despite not really caring for it, I continued to watch it because it was kinda sorta passable and there wasn't any other new Star Trek series on TV. When we had that season where at the end of the season it turned out not to even be the Voyager and its crew, essentially making the entire season a Dallas "It was all just a dream" kind of season, I picked up the remote and switched it off never to see another episode. No, actually I did turn on the series finale just out of curiosity to see who was still around, if there was anyone new on board, and to see how they managed to get home.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Discovery fans are like the yeti. I've heard about them but no one has ever met one.
At this point I only watch Discovery because I've invested so much time into it already and want to see it play out. That and I try and count Michael's one major expression in each episode. Her look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. And she uses it on just about everything bad. Her boyfriend is captured and needs rescue? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. Someone kicks a puppy? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. The villains rip a Black Lotus in half? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. The universe is about to be destroyed? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. It's almost comical at this point. :p

Zardnaar

Legend
At this point I only watch Discovery because I've invested so much time into it already and want to see it play out. That and I try and count Michael's one major expression in each episode. Her look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. And she uses it on just about everything bad. Her boyfriend is captured and needs rescue? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. Someone kicks a puppy? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. The villains rip a Black Lotus in half? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. The universe is about to be destroyed? Give a look of abject horror as if the universe is about to be destroyed. It's almost comical at this point. :p

Ripping a black lotus in half damn....

Bagpuss

Legend
Huh. The Little Mermaid with a white Ariel is a Disney classic but the exact same story with a black Ariel is lazy writing. Funny how that works.

Well of course it is, it is copying. Come up with some new stories Disney, maybe look into folk tales outside of Europe?

To be honest the changes to Sebastian bother me more, how's he gonna smile?

Last edited:

Getting BACK to Picard (remember the show this thread is about?)

345279275_710585320819271_8411820654666469978_n.jpg
Meanwhile, the Jagentrophic Imperial Destructor Fleet declares war on Starfleet for spelling out the worst possible insult in their language...

Hussar

Legend
Well of course it is, it is copying. Come up with some new stories Disney, maybe look into folk tales outside of Europe?

To be honest the changes to Sebastian bother me more, how's he gonna smile?
So you can never retell a story? Guess Patrick Stewart is a terrible hack actor for acting in all those Shakespeare plays. :erm;

But, I see now that "lazy writing" is in the same category as "poor quality". It means whatever people want it to mean and all it actually means is "this is something I don't like, but, since I absolutely must justify my person preferences in order to beat everyone over the head with them, I'll just say it's "lazy writing" and then it creates a nice, safe, unassailable bastion from which I can shout at the world about how my likes and dislikes are far, far more important than anything you happen to like".

Good to know.

As a super fan of the original animated Aladdin, honestly, Will Smith's version had little to no chance to win me over.
I think re-making these stories into live action or with a person who is a minority is a cool endeavour but it is extremely difficult to please the fans of old. So these remakes are very much for the new generations. It is a little different with Marvel though since this is all still within the same generation (Iron Man 2008).

The recasting is a tricky business. Almost every story is now being recast with a PoC, or with a woman now replacing a character that used to be male. It can feel a little jarring when this is seemingly done rapidly, accompanied by the media which seemingly showers undeserved adoration, sometimes prematurely on actors, writers and directors just because they may be non-white or non-male. I mean you can see sycophantic reviews for Disney/Marvel movies.
Sure every once in a while someone with a little bit of backbone decides not to soil their integrity but for the most part the critics and media seem to over glorify for no other reason than the change (race, sex) or the representation. This then receives pushback by fans as mediocre and shabby writing and terrible directing is seemingly praised. I feel the product has decreased in quality and that frustrates me.

What I want are likeable characters (villains can be likeable) and solid storylines and if the directors, writers and the media could rather make THAT the focus we wouldn't be the midst of such a hot mess of opinions. I say that, because there will always be bad-faith fans who will pick at race or sex. But at least you'd have the core base shutting those trolls down if say DISCO was done better. At this point, you have the bulky middle fan base very much dissatisfied.

Anyways, my two cents.

Bagpuss

Legend
So you can never retell a story?

Of course you can, but why when there is a whole culture that is under represented, not make the effort do something new. Yes it is lazy.

Guess Patrick Stewart is a terrible hack actor for acting in all those Shakespeare plays. :erm;

Plays are a little different than movies, I think you would agree. Repeat performances are needed so people can get to see it, each performance is different even in the same production, and different productions are often remarkably different.

But, I see now that "lazy writing" is in the same category as "poor quality".

No idea what the quality is like as I've not seen it, the trailers look impressive enough. It's Disney the production will most probably be good and the actors fine. If I see it I might even like it, but it is still lazy.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Plays are a little different than movies, I think you would agree. Repeat performances are needed so people can get to see it, each performance is different even in the same production, and different productions are often remarkably different.
He isn't talking about repeat performances of the same play with the same cast and director within the same play run. No, he's absolutely clearly talking about the number of times Macbeth or any other Shakespeare (or Shaw, or Wilde, or any other playwright) play's legion of adaptations.

Remove ads