D&D (2024) Pie in the Sky 6E

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Warlord was a heavy tactics class with emphasis on positioning and sacrificing your actions to either buff/heal allies or to give allies actions.

For example, my favorite at-will was Wolfpack Tactics. It let me move an ally while I make an attack, positioning both of us into flanking positions, or getting them out of harm's way. And that was just one of my two at-wills.

In terms of combat things, is Paladin the closest in 5e?

Vaalingrade

Legend
In terms of combat things, is Paladin the closest in 5e?
In the same way Mars is the closest thing to Earth, honestly. Maybe Paladin has some spells that can do warlord stuff, but them being spells and thus a sad, limited resource makes it not.

Thank you for not thinking the Battlemaster can even hold a sad, once or twice and encounter candle to Warlord though.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In the same way Mars is the closest thing to Earth, honestly. Maybe Paladin has some spells that can do warlord stuff, but them being spells and thus a sad, limited resource makes it not.

Thank you for not thinking the Battlemaster can even hold a sad, once or twice and encounter candle to Warlord though.

I've been in a game or two where the paladin has regularly stepped up and taken blows for people or used actions to deflect damage. I don't think I've been in one where anyone played a battlemaster...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As a person who only very lightly played 4e, what is the intense draw of the Warlord?
2 parts.
  1. The ability to use the mental parts of combat
  2. The ability to invoke the support side of combat
Inspiration, Tactics, Bravery, Resourcefulness, Team Play, Insight

Basically the abilty to use Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma in battle without needed it converting it into magic much how people do it in real life.

What about Bard? Like a "college of war" wherein bardic inspiration can be used for the things you describe?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What about Bard? Like a "college of war" wherein bardic inspiration can be used for the things you describe?
That might be a cool idea, but the Marshal/Warlord was a non-magical class that acted as a sort of force multiplier for their party. In addition to giving allies free attacks and buffing attacks, they could do things like give the whole team free movement with Reorient the Axis, or even get your party to stop dying with Stand the Fallen.

I never really grokked why they weren't liked more, since I know there are people who want low/no magic games. Sure, there were gripes about Warlord healing, but given the explanation of hit points has only ever partially been "physical injury", it's not really forcing the game to contort into unusual shapes.

Plus there are documented instances in the real world of military men rousing their subordinates from comas, shock, fatigue, and galvanizing them merely by barking orders authoritatively.

Raith5

Adventurer
I just want a 6e that is based on 5e and has a) more interesting monsters, b) more customization/design choices for PCs, c) something for my PC to spend gold on (masterwork items, magic items - I dont care if they are + or something more complex), and d) actually works well above 12th level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases