D&D (2024) Pie in the Sky 6E

Horwath

Legend
HD d12, martial character, has total of 4 or 5 attacks per round at late levels, some subclasses have 1/3 casting(new spell levels every 5 class levels)

HD d10; half-casters/martials, has total of 2 or 3 attacks per round, new spell levels every 4 class levels

HD d8; 2/3 caster, has 1 or maybe 2 attack(depending on class/subclass), new spell levels every 3 class levels

HD d6; full caster, 1 attack, possibly 2 attacks from subclass, new spell levels every 2 class levels

Horwath

Legend
Remove all feats, ASI and 90% of class powers from the PHB. PC become awesome with the magical items and artifacts they find during their adventures. Put feats, ASI and more class powers in an Advanced D&D books. Letting the DM and players choose which type of game they want. It would be more modular.
so PHB is what, 20 pages max?

I'd buy that for a dollar

Li Shenron

Legend
Go ahead. Let it out. What do you REALLY want from a 6E that you know you aren't going to get?

I REALLY WANT the druids armor/shield restrictions to disappear, or be demoted to optional, as in "most druids...".

I have then to turn the question a bit around to answer properly... what I REALLY DON'T want and I am sure to get.

I really don't want a minor rules update. I'd rather have either non-rules updates only (such as more alternative character options, variants and narrative changes) or a completely new edition of the game with severe rules changes and non-backward-compatibility.

And I know that a minor rules update is exactly what we'll get.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
balanced weapons table, with damage die categories for melee weapons;
1d3-1d4-1d6-1d8-1d10-1d12-2d6-2d8

base weapon; 1handed, simple, versatile for any non-light, non-finesse 1Handed weapon

d8, 1Handed, versatile(d10)

finesse, reduce damage die by one step

light, reduce damage die by one step

reach, reduce damage die by one step

thrown(40/120), reduce damage die by one step

martial weapon, increase damage die by one step

2Handed, increase damage die by two steps

Heavy, increase damage die by one step

some rule limitations;
Reach cannot be thrown,
2Handed cannot be thrown,
Light must be 1Handed,
Heavy must be 2Handed,

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't think you should be a Wizard at 1st level.
How can you be a "Paladin" at 1st level? How can you be a "Warlock"? How can you be a Wizard, someone who has to have completed years of education and training before they could attain such a lofty rank! How can a mere novitiate call upon the great miracles of the gods?!
Wizard, Paladin, Warlock, etc. do not convey the same level of accomplishment WAR-LORD does IMO. Now FightingLeader is more ambiguous towards someone who isn't necessarily advanced in their field.

As for Wizard, calling them Mage or Magic-User would be fine with me, a Paladin might be a Crusader, a Warlock or Cleric might be a Devotee... If you feel THOSE names convey the same level of power Warlord does to me, suggest they should be changed also.

But hey, I don't care for the class concept, so I'll just leave it alone at this point. (Bows out.)

dave2008

Legend
Oh, yes... Psionics and new spells.

Also different spell lists for different classes with -way- more uniqueness and less overlap. A real -difference- in how the magic feels based on which class or source the magic is coming from, too.

Also basically all of Level Up, in general, if I'm honest.

Rare spells, every class getting mechanics for every pillar, journey system...
I basically agree with @Steampunkette , but perhaps a little less options than LevelUp (I can do without separating exhaustion into strife and fatigue, and a few other things) and a few more things not in level up:
  • 3-4 base classes and everything else is a subclass
  • Armor w/ DR
  • Vitality points
  • Clear DMG suggestions / variants / options to adapt to a particular genre / playstyle (the modular options often discussed)
  • Update encounter guidelines that discuss Party composition and playstyle, and a revision of the challenge naming convention and descriptions (so deadly = deadly)
  • Monster roles

Horwath

Legend
Exhaustion as -1 penalty per level instead of binary disadvantage on more and more rolls:

per level of exhaustion:
-1 to all attack, saves and ability checks
-1 to AC and all DCs
-5ft to speed(min of 5ft speed)

Remove ads