log in or register to remove this ad

 

Pirates of the Broken Sea [D&D 3.5]

Orius

Adventurer
Pirates of the Broken Sea

The pirate ship Blood Hawk swiftly crosses the waves in the new light of morning. One of the many pirate ships who prey upon the trade routes of the Broken Sea between the continents of Eldra and Maldara, her captain is the burly human, Regnar Skullgrim. Standing as tall as the typical half-orc, and just as muscular, with the wind flowing through his coarse black hair and beard, he bellows orders to the crew at the top of his lungs.


"Look lively mates, there's a fat merchant ship on our horizon, just waiting to fall into our hands! All hands on deck! Raise the black flag!"

Regnar alters the ship's course to intercept the merchant ship. She sails slow and low in the water, seemingly laden with booty. The Blood Hawk swiftly crosses the distance. Regnar shouts an order to the gunners "Fire a warning shot across her bow!" The gunners fire one of the ship's two deck guns toward the merchant, but she doesn't slow down or alter her course. The distance narrows to a few yards. "Prepare to grapple!" The crew throw grappling hooks over to the merchant, and while the marines on board cut the rope and the crew tries to fend off the pirate with gaffs, their efforts aren't enough. "Prepare to board!" shouts Regnar. "Erdrak! You and your mates are to secure the bow! Miro! Stirke up a tune!" He then swings onto the merchant's stern and begins to duel the ship's captain, while several of the pirates follow him and begin to fight the crew. On the merchant's bow, there are six marines armed with short swords waiting to intercept your attack.

GM: Welcome to the campaign.

The PCs are to fight the marines on the bow. You can swing over and engage them hand-to hand, or fight them from a distance with ranged attacks, spells, etc. Everyone should start by rolling for initiative.

Choose a speaking color for your character. Use the OOC tags for any OOC action.

Kiltro cannot understand the captain's orders, but he should be able to at least follow the lead of the other crew members.


Links
OOC discussion
Rogues' Gallery
Rules

[video=youtube;ttQjm-8OITE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQjm-8OITE[/video]​
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Turrick smiles and stands fast on the deck of the ship. His spear in hand he appears to be little more than a strange form of decoration. "I do hope they have some decent food on the ship. I am starving."
 

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Halfling Psion

"Finally I was about to die from the tedium, now I can pass that energy onwards." Zandibus says haughtily, drawing his pistol and sauntering forward his lavish ensemble shadowed by the enormous purple feathers which nearly double his modest height - messing with which has caused more than one crewmate's brain to ooze out of their ears.
 

Lughart

First Post
"AY CAPT'N!" Kutyak shrieks. He aims into the mass of the merchants crew, pistol in shaky hand, trying to find an easy target. He pulls the trigger, but he hasn't loaded the gun right and it won't fire. "Go ahead mates, I need to have words with me pain stick!"
 

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Sharky, Dwarven Ranger 1

Yuric "Shark Tooth" Glanvir, Dwarven Ranger and Ship's Cook, got his nickname from the time he punched a shark square in the face, knocking out one of its teeth. He wore that tooth every day to remind the crew that he wasn't someone to mess with... never mind that he prepared the meals, too.

Sharky muttered to himself as he made his way topside, carrying a wicked looking heavy flail over his shoulder.

"This better be important," Sharky snarled through crooked teeth, "The stew ain't gonna prep itself."
 
Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Again, the human captain was barking orders it would seem, as Kiltro simply watched in amusement. The firing of the cannon signaled the usual motion set forth of an unlucky merchant ship being found. The grappling ropes set, the crew in full swing of their 'jobs', and constant pointing and shouting brought his concentration to the bow, where he was typically set to work.

Knowing that he had no intentions of going to meet his 'foe', Kiltro studies the men, noting their swords and stance. Nodding approvingly, he watches as the others move forward. The goblin simply waves a spear, more for flash than to cause fear. The flamboyant halfling strides forth with his plume waving around. Hearing the cook, and a fine one at that, come storming from the kitchen with a sour face, Kiltro can only sneer at who would be the brunt of his frustration.

With a safe distance from the foes, Kiltro decides to shoot now and ask questions later. It's not that they could answer anyways, as all he hears are a series of weird sounds that they call 'common'.

The crew spies the kobold moving his hands, yipping and yapping as he shoots at the unknowing merchants, hoping to score a quick hit before the rest ruin his aim. The pistol sparks, but does nothing, as the screaming kobold shakes his head and almost throws the weapon across the bow, but decides not to.

"Yipp Bark Yip Yip" is the angry reply from the kobold at his misfortune.
 
Last edited:

Baveboi

First Post
"Aye, aye me capitain." said Merovince in a melodious voice.
"You are pirates, lads! Do what you want, 'couse a pirate is free!" He screams from full lungs and sit on the deck with his sitar in hand.

While others run about dealing with the bow, the bard sits quietly on his bask and sings a tune to shakes the mast.
"Give me a har and another hey, give me a flask of rum and them say hurray."

[First round: Inspire Courage +1]

[Next round everyone will have +1 on all attacks and damage rolls, +1 on all saves against charm and fear effects]
 
Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
With a great roar of laughter Erdrak raises his sword high. The thrill of battle! The clash of steel upon steel! How long has it been since the last raid?

You heard the captn' lads! If you dont get them pea shooters workn', it be latrine duty!

With a laugh, Erdrak grabs one of the ropes and swings across, swinging upon the ropes. Letting out another roar, this one more primal sounding, Erdrak lands upon the deck and starts hacking away, a bloodthirsty look in his eyes

OOC: Is there a skill check to make it across? will edit text if there is.

Rage Activated: 6 Rounds Remaining:
GS: +5 To Hit; 2d6 + 6
 

Orius

Adventurer
GM:
Initiative:

Turrick: 20
Zandibus: 19 (+4)
Kiltro: 19 (+2)
Erdrak: 16
Yurik: 10
Mirovince: 8
Marines: ???
Kutyak: 3

Initiative rolls for DM-controlled combatants will be hidden.

Normally, I prefer to keep AC secret, but to speed things up I will let you know what you need to hit. If you do hit, follow up with the damage roll.

Marine AC is 13 (+3 armor).

No skill check for swinging over, at least this time. Just a nice battle to start things off with some action.

Round 1

We will start with Turrick's action and proceed from there.

 

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Turrick takes his time loading a stone into his sling. He preferred the quiet sling to the extraordinarily loud pistol. He whirls the sling a couple of times, then lets the stone fly.


[sblock=ooc]
Whelp, starting with a miss... figures with my luck. Anyway... I know the sling dmg is 1d3, not a choice for that though.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Zandibus levels his small pistol and attempts to shoot a foeman in the face, but is jolted by the motion of the ship his bullet flying away wildly. The psion's lips thin in irritation.
 
Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The crew spies the kobold moving his hands, yipping and yapping as he shoots at the unknowing merchants, hoping to score a quick hit before the rest ruin his aim. The pistol sparks, but does nothing, as the screaming kobold shakes his head and almost throws the weapon across the bow, but decides not to.

"Yipp Bark Yip Yip" is the angry reply from the kobold at his misfortune.

[sblock=Reposting previous action to keep this going] Figured I would go ahead and post the actions from above, with a complete missed shot at the foes...[/sblock]
 

jackslate45

First Post
OOC:
Move: move to engage
Standard: Attack!

Rage: (5)
HP: 15
AC: 13
FORT: +5
REFLEX: +1
WILL: +2
GS: +5 2d6+6


Erdrak lands on the deck, and starts racing towards the marines. With a hearty laugh he cries "COME! IS THERE NOT ONE OF YOU WHO DARES TO FIGHT ME?" He skids quickly to a halt and brandishes his great sword at the marines.

He can barely hear the gunshots from his companions, and noticing that none of the marines got hit infuriates him even more. Lifting his great sword high, he swings it down at the closest marine.
 
Last edited:

Orius

Adventurer
The slingstone and bullets go wild, hitting nothing. Erdrak lands solidly on the merchant's deck, and with a mighty blow from his sword shears a marine nearly in half from shoulder to pelvis. The marine falls to the deck, quite dead.
 

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Sharky joins the fray with the others. He doesn't shout or make a fuss as he crosses ships and just gives a disgusted grunt when his first swing fails to cave in anyone's head.
 

Orius

Adventurer
The five remaining marines move in to attack Erdrak and Sharky.

GM:
*grins at the natural 20s*


Three attack Erdrak, two hitting him in the torso, but the blades glance off his thick orcish ribs, doing less damage than they should. A third blow slashes open his left bicep. A fourth marine lands a solid blow on Sharky, but the dwarf blocks his comrade's attack with his flail.

GM:
Erdrak takes 6 points of damage and Sharky 3 points. It is now Kutyak's turn.
 
Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Zandibus focuses the power of his mind upon one of the remaining marines in an attempt to blow his brain out of his ears.

OOC: Mind Thrust DC 14 Will Save, or take 1 damage *sigh*
 
Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
So you do have some bite in those sword eh? Well take this!

With a giant back swing, Erdrak strikes at one of the 3 guards that struck him.

OOC: 4 Rounds Remaining
HP:9
AC:13
GS +6 2d6 +7
 
Last edited:

Lughart

First Post
Kutyak can't seem to get his pistol working. "Ah, toss it!" Gunpowder failing him, he instead calls on the power of necromancy. He starts wailing in a language noone understands while walking towards the marines. Even though he makes for quite a scary sight, he can't seem to get his spell to go off either.

[sblock=actions]Move: enter melee
Standard: cast Chill Touch on nearest marine

EDIT: concentration fail. Kutyak is becoming the worst pirate ever.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Orius

Adventurer
GM:
First round is over. Five marines remain.

Back to Turrick. I will count Zandibus and Erdrak's premature actions as their turns come up.

 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top