• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape: A Hopeless Beginning

doghead

thotd
Eluvan said:
... "I am Imthael, by the way. It is a very great pleasure to make your acquaintance. You have Emenukaris' court in uproar - half the courtiers see you as a threat to be eliminated, and half of them seem to think you're just what they need to achieve their own goals. His lordship-" is there perhaps a slight tone of mockery in her voice as she gives him that title? - "seems to be reserving judgement for the time being."

Minala clamps her mouth closed to enssure that she doesn't blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. She lets her mind work through what Imthael has told her. After a moment she responds.

"Nice to meet you, Imthael. Everyone calls me Minala."

There is another short silence.

"What do you think we are?"

"More information on 'his Lordship' and if or how we can get our items back - that is the main goal, I believe. However, we can't just come right out and ask that. We should let our host set the tone of the meeting - and, we can also find out, perhaps, what motive the Lord has to invite us to dinner tonight." Vaerhia lets her gaze drift about the room subtly, keeping an eye on the other patrons. "Any information we might infer from the conversation will be more than we know now, of course."

"Just because Hopeless isn't to our taste doesn't mean it isn't just what he wanted." Vaerhia smiles at Wyk. "If there's one thing that holds true in all the multiverse, it is that people have different tastes. And besides," She chuckles softly, "perhaps he sees this as just a stepping-stone to ruling somewhere else - and from there, to ruling, say, some layer of Hell or the Abyss. Not likely for most - but then, I haven't heard tell what race this lord is, so who knows?"

Scotley

Hero
Wyk

"Indeed you are right there is no accounting for taste. Such a dreery place could be paradise to some. I like to think I know beauty when I see it," he adds looking pointedly at his companion.

Eluvan

First Post
At that moment Dainan steps through the door. He's alone, and looks somehow perfectly confortable and at home in these dingy surroundings. He approaches the table where Vaerhia and Wyk sit, and smiles a greeting to them both. "Good day to you. Can I perhaps get you a drink before I sit down?

"What do I think? Imthael muses. "Well, truth be told, I'm not completely sure. That's why I came to talk to you, I suppose. Certainly, though, I do hope our relationship can be friendly. That reminds me... I brought you something. A token of friendship, you might say." Smiling, she reaches into a pouch at her belt and produces a small, beautifully carved box of some dark wood. The decoration is intricate, but whimsical, seeming to represent nothing in particular. She holds it out to Minala, smiling pleasantly.

doghead

thotd
Minala, girl with tusks

Minala finds herself reaching out to accept the gift before she realises what she is doing and checks the motion.

"Its beautiful," she says, withdrawing her hand. "I can't take it."

Minala shoves her hands under her legs. She looks around at the town around them.

"I hope that our relationship can be friendly too. But like you said, Hopeless is a dangerous place for us. I think I should be careful about who I trust. At least until I know more about them. I hope that you understand.

"Can I ask you something? Are you a demon?"

Eluvan

First Post
Imthael shrugs at Minala's refusal of her gift, her expression still friendly but a little disappointed. "Very well. I shan't insist, though I am sorry. 'Tis but a small trinket, and one I think you might enjoy." Still, she regretfully puts the box back into her belt pouch.

At Minala's question, she chuckles. It is surprising how genuine the sound seems - not at all sinister, despite the woman's rather dubious demeanour in so many other ways. "A demon? No. If I did not know you spoke in ignorance, I could be very offended by such a remark." Her eyes - her disturbing, red eyes - twinkle with mirth. "A demon indeed... my dear, I'm a Baatezu. A Devil, to you. Of the order known commonly as Erinyes, if you were wondering. And if that makes you doubt my intentions then - well, good, it would be wise to. But in this case, I do not believe you will find that our interests clash."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads