• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape: A Hopeless Beginning

Eluvan

First Post
Dainan just nods politely, and goes to the bar to order. He returns a few minutes later with three glasses of some kind of dark liquid. Judging by the quantity in which it's served, and the style of the glasses, it seems to be something akin to wine. He takes a seat and sets the glasses down. The drink smells spicy and volatile, almost acidic, and has a distinctive, sharp taste with rich, complex undertones of exotic spices. "A local specialty, made from the grapes of Emenukaris' own vineyards," Dainan says with a satisfied air, taking a long sip of his own drink. "So," he says, looking at each of the two in turn as if measuring them. "I am glad that we could meet. Tell me, have you been through Hopeless before?"

doghead

thotd
Minala, girl with tusks

Eluvan said:
Imthael shrugs at Minala's refusal of her gift, her expression still friendly but a little disappointed. "Very well. I shan't insist, though I am sorry. 'Tis but a small trinket, and one I think you might enjoy." Still, she regretfully puts the box back into her belt pouch.

Minala regretfully watches as Imthael puts away the box. It was really a beautiful box. Minala sighs.

Eluvan said:
At Minala's question, she chuckles. It is surprising how genuine the sound seems - not at all sinister, despite the woman's rather dubious demeanour in so many other ways. "A demon? No. If I did not know you spoke in ignorance, I could be very offended by such a remark." Her eyes - her disturbing, red eyes - twinkle with mirth. "A demon indeed... my dear, I'm a Baatezu. A Devil, to you. Of the order known commonly as Erinyes, if you were wondering. And if that makes you doubt my intentions then - well, good, it would be wise to. But in this case, I do not believe you will find that our interests clash."

Minala is a little taken aback by the woman's, or more appropriately, the devil's honesty. It does, however, goes some way towards dispelling some of the doubts that Minala has about the stranger.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I have, it seems, been living on the planes for all my life, but I know very little about them. I don't really know what the difference between a devil and demon is. I don't really know where we are, or understand how we got here.

"I don't really know much at all."

Minala sighs again and wonders how she could have got so far through life and learnt so little. I wasn't really necessary she supposes. And there were always more pressing concerns, like finding her next meal, or staying out of trouble.

Eluvan

First Post
Dainan nods. "So how do you like our town?" he asks with a wry smile. "You're very much the big news right now around here, but I wonder how much you realise of the impact your arrival has had? It's not every day we get a group of strangers crashing in here - a group completely unaligned to any of the local power groups, and yet with the wherewithal and power to potentially influence local events quite substantially. I hope I do guess right? You have no prior attachments to those operating in Hopeless? Of course, if you did, I doubt you'd tell me." He chuckles to himself and takes another drink.

Imthael looks across at Minala. "Do you regret that? Do you wish you were better informed? Or is innocence bliss?"

JimAde

First Post
tylermalan said:
"Hmm...seems like it might be pretty easy to get inside if we really wanted to... I guess we could either try to get in now or wait for the others, what do you think Krikit?."

Krikit shakes his head. "I think we should consult with the others before we do anything. It would be unfair to risk raising the alarm and possibly scuttling their options without checking first." He looks around the square in front of the castle again and says, "Perhaps we should get back. I've seen enough to know we're going to need a sponsor if we intend to get out of here. I think we should take the job offer."

Scotley

Hero
Wyk

In response to Dainan's question about the town Wyk answers, "I've been worse places." Wyk takes a drink, "Very nice drink thank you." He squares his shoulders and looks Dainan in the eye. "Let me put my cards on the table. I'm not much for subtilty and beating around the bush. We didn't come here by choice. I don't think those who captured us intended for us to end up here either. We have an offer to leave immediately and go back to sigil. Many of us are inclined to take that offer and leave your fair city. However, a few of us, myself in particular would like to find out just why we were taken and get our possession back." He takes another drink and continues, "I don't know what your boss has in mind, but we don't really want to upset things here. If he would prefer we not make trouble we'd be more than happy to take our gear and any information he can give us about our captors and be out of town within the hour. That should maintain the status quo and keep him happy. If that can't be arranged then we'll have to stay around a while. Our very presence could cause all manner of trouble around here."

Vaerhia raises an eyebrow in surprise at the bluntness of Wyk's reply, but says nothing. She watches Dainan, obviously waiting for him to react. A small half-smile of amusment curves her lips.

Eluvan

First Post
Scotley said:
In response to Dainan's question about the town Wyk answers, "I've been worse places." Wyk takes a drink, "Very nice drink thank you." He squares his shoulders and looks Dainan in the eye. "Let me put my cards on the table. I'm not much for subtilty and beating around the bush. We didn't come here by choice. I don't think those who captured us intended for us to end up here either. We have an offer to leave immediately and go back to sigil. Many of us are inclined to take that offer and leave your fair city. However, a few of us, myself in particular would like to find out just why we were taken and get our possession back." He takes another drink and continues, "I don't know what your boss has in mind, but we don't really want to upset things here. If he would prefer we not make trouble we'd be more than happy to take our gear and any information he can give us about our captors and be out of town within the hour. That should maintain the status quo and keep him happy. If that can't be arranged then we'll have to stay around a while. Our very presence could cause all manner of trouble around here."

Dainan nods, seeming to consider Wyk's words, and then after a small pause he reaches into a pocket and removes a small folded cloth. He unfolds it on the table, revealing a hole that must surely reach into an extraplanar space of some sort. He tilts it a little to show Wyk and Vaerhia what lies within. It's a veritable treasure trove, stuffed with items of clearly superior make. Many have obvious magical qualities. In amongst them, both Wyk and Vaerhia are able to pick out their own lost items. Vaerhia's psicrystal emenates a wave of happiness through their mental link as it senses her through the planar divide.

After giving them a good look, Dainan folds the cloth in half and places it in front of him on the table. "My lordship also has information on your captors - indeed, he has the captors themselves. They currently reside in his guest quarters, stuffing themselves on his food and romping with his concubines. He has no love for them, and they should be considered a bargaining chip." He considers the two closely. "Now... you see what we can do for you. The question is... what can you do for us? Noninterference in local affairs is a good start, but sadly not enough. My lord has intrigues of his own, and - since you have chosen to be direct, I shall respond in kind - he sees you as a useful tool for their furtherance. Are you willing to work for him?"

OOC for the Castle scouting party:
[sblock]Thanks for clearing that up Tyler! I completely missed your edit. In answer to your OOC questions - the castle looks to be three, perhaps four stories, with towers at each corner and in the centre that reach up somewhat further. There's no steady stream of traffic through the other doors. Nobody enters the front gate while you watch, and only one wagon trundles through the entrance with the portcullis.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Vaerhia's eyes narrow slightly as she sees the items, and sends a sense of soon back to the psicrystal before the envoy refolds the cloth.

While listening to Danian's offer, the succubus taps one long, manucured fingernail against the table in thought. After a moment, she sips her drink and glances at him. "Perhaps some slight clarification is in order. And since everyone else is being so blunt..." she shrugs and her smile turns falsely apologetic for a moment, "I will be as well. I could care less about our captors - I know why I was taken, and who arranged for me to be, and I am in the habit of avenging myself upon the wielder of the sword, not the sword itself. The slavers were just tools, and I care not if I have any hand in their fate. The others may have similarly differing opinions. So - what exactly is the offer? We assist, we get our items back and the slavers? What of us who have no interest in the slavers - would we get an appropriate compensation?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads