• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The pic sums up the poor treatment 5e has given for FR for years. This a huge cool setting, but if it's not on the Swordcoast it might as well be tossed into the Far Realms.
It is a deeply flawed map: first off, it only highlights about 20% of the Sword Coast area as described in SCAG, second, it uses the incorrect 3E map which doesn't scale Faerun properly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just chiming in to point out that…kids literally still read books. Like that hasn’t gone away, books for kids still do numbers, kids still prefer paper books when surveyed about digital vs paper…like the idea they don’t want to “wade theough” paper books is just false.
Kids still read books, but paper reference material specifically (which is what a 2E Setting softcover would be) has been disproportionately deprecated by Wikis and such. And WotC has explicitly said they don't those old school encyclopedic Settinf books because they can't compete with fan Wikis.

It is a deeply flawed map: first off, it only highlights about 20% of the Sword Coast area as described in SCAG, second, it uses the incorrect 3E map which doesn't scale Faerun properly.

😂🤣 I think you missed the point, it's not about geographic accuracy, it's that WotC ignores most of its most profitable IP, milking just a tiny fraction. I mean really the Forgotten Realms portion of the map is also too small, it doesn't show Kara Tur, Zakhara, Abeir, or the rest of its Realmspace, afterlives, and Echo Planes worlds.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Kids still read books, but paper reference material specifically (which is what a 2E Setting softcover would be) has been disproportionately deprecated by Wikis and such. And WotC has explicitly said they don't those old school encyclopedic Settinf books because they can't compete with fan Wikis.
The dynamic in question isn’t about younger gens not wanting to read paper books, though.

They use the internet instead because it has many books of information, including information from 30 year old magazine articles and blurbs from adventures no one has thought about in 40 years, and because they don’t need that information to run a game, it’s just interesting.

mamba

Legend
023: 9% care about D&D lore*

I have no idea how that tracks with general trends.

*This is a little misleading as I had one group in 1993 and two groups now. So the original group is still at 17%. Of all the groups I am the only member who cares anything about D&D lore and I am not a hardcore D&D lore fan
wait, so you are saying through all of this, you are the only one that cared, the % differ because the number of other people differ, it is either 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 11 (across two groups), with the 1 being you…

Quite the poll ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
😂🤣 I think you missed the point, it's not about geographic accuracy, it's that WotC ignores most of its most profitable IP, milking just a tiny fraction. I mean really the Forgotten Realms portion of the map is also too small, it doesn't show Kara Tur, Zakhara, Abeir, or the rest of its Realmspace, afterlives, and Echo Planes worlds.
SCAG covers a full quarter of the 1E Grey Box and 2E box set maps. Eventually, they may move on to another area, but there is no need to be hasty.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The dynamic in question isn’t about younger gens not wanting to read paper books, though.

They use the internet instead because it has many books of information, including information from 30 year old magazine articles and blurbs from adventures no one has thought about in 40 years, and because they don’t need that information to run a game, it’s just interesting.
No disagreement here. Bit that reality being different than 1993 foes a long way towards explaining WotC product development choices.

Remove ads