• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Planescape] Squaring the Circle Redux - OOC (Full)

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Here's a rough, not including equipment or background for my idea above (also doesn't include stats for a familiar, mount, or cohort). I've listed prepared spells, but how many spells would Vlad have in his spellbook? Let me know.

thanks,
Nick

Vladimir Kronenheim
Male Dwarf Pal5/Nec7; Size M; HD 5d10+15 plus 7d4+21; hp 85; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Spd. 20 ft.; AC 11 (+1 Dex), 15 mage armor, 11 touch, 10 flat-footed; BAB +8/+3; Grp +7; Atk +9 melee (spiked chain), +9 ranged; Full Atk +9/+4 melee (spiked chain); SA smite evil 2/day, turn undead; SQ paladin abilities, dwarf abilities; AL LG; Fort +11 (+3 Con, +2 Cha), Ref +6 (+1 Dex, +2 Cha), Will +9 (+1 Wis, +2 Cha); Str 8, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 18 (15 at 1st, 16 at 4th, 17 at 8th, 18 at 12th), Wis 12, Cha 14.

Skills, Feats, Languages
Concentration +18 (+3 Con, 15 ranks), Craft/Armorer +6 (+1 Wis, 5 ranks; synergy: +2 Appraise on armor), Craft/Weaponsmith +15 (+1 Wis, 14 ranks; synergy: +2 Appraise on weapons), Heal +7 (+1 Wis, 6 ranks), Knowledge/Religion +9 (+4 Int, 5 ranks), Knowledge/Planes +9 (+4 Int, 5 ranks; synergy: +2 Survival checks in the planes), Profession/Enbalmer +8 (+1 Wis, 7 ranks), Spellcraft +17 (+4 Int, 13 ranks); Exotic Weapon Proficiency/Spiked Chain (1st), Weapon Finesse (3rd), Leadership (6th), Scribe Scroll (6th/Wiz1), Combat Casting (9th), Spell Focus/Necromancy (10th/Wiz5), Craft Magic Arms & Armor (12th); Common, Dwarf, Giant, Terran.

Dwarf Abilities
+2 Con, -2 Cha, base speed 20 ft., darkvision 60 ft., stonecunning, weapon familiarity (dwarven waraxe, urgrosh), stability (+4 to resist bullrush, trip), +2 racial bonus to saves against poison, +2 racial bonus to saves against spells and spell-like effects, +1 racial bonus to attacks against goblinoids and orcs, +4 dodge bonus to AC against giants, +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks regarding stone or metal, +2 racial bonus to Craft checks involving stone or metal.

Paladin Abilities
Aura of good, detect evil (at will), smite evil 2/day, divine grace (+2 Cha bonus to saves), lay on hands (10 hp/day), aura of courage, divine health, turn undead as Clr2 (+2 synergy bonus from Knowledge/Religion), special mount, divine spells.

Necromancer Abilities
Arcane spells, familiar, opposition schools: Enchantment, Illusion, +1 Necromancy spell/day, +2 Spellcraft to learn Necromancy spells.

Paladin spells
1/0/0/0, Save DC 12
1st level: lesser restoration.

Necromancer spells (* = Necromancy)
4+1/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1, Save DC 14+spell level or 15+spell level for Necromancy
0-level: arcane mark, disrupt undead*, light, ray of frost, touch of fatigue*
1st level: chill touch*, mage armor, magic missile, obscuring mist, shield, ray of enfeeblement*
2nd level: command undead*, ghoul touch*, protection from arrows, spectral hand*, summon monster II
3rd level: dispel magic, gaseous form, slow, vampiric touch*
4th level: enervation*, stoneskin, polymorph

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Yep, Ferrix, you're in (my note must have kinda buried on the first line of the 5th post). Serpenteye, you have the last slot. Sorry, taitzu52, but I'll put you on the alternates list. Check back occasionally; if someone drops, the spot is yours!

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
Here's a preliminary idea: Vladimir Kronenheim, a mortal Dwarf Pal5/Wiz(Necromancer)7 from Ysgard (Nidavellir). He left because of his (obvious) ideological conflicts with the prevailing sentiments of the plane, has wandered into Sigil, and has (possibly, I'll have to check out my PS stuff) joined the Dustmen. I was contemplating giving him the leadership feat and an undead cohort -- would that work or would that be too bizarre? Let me know. I've also thought of Pal3/Sor9 and Mnk5/Wiz7 or Mnk3/Sor9. In any case, the class levels from monk or paladin would come first and he wouldn't be advancing in that class any longer.
Ooo... a paladin/necromancer... interesting idea! :eek: If he was a champion of a god of death or something like that, I could see it flying. As for the undead cohort, it depends on the type of undead. A ghost or some sort of intelligent zombie, probably. A vampire or ghoul, probably not. But I'm willing to let it in.

On a side note, in the old PS, ghosts technically couldn't exist on the Outer Planes because the Outer Planes had no access to the Ethereal, but I think I'm going to toss that restriction out the window for this. Ghosts still don't have access to the Ethereal, but they manage to stay incorporeal somehow (unless manifested).

On another side note (and this would hold true for everyone else as well), if you take the Leadership feat, instead of gaining followers, you would gain contacts instead. But you'd still get your cohort. But I don't want to run insanely large combats so let's not all run out and get cohorts, please? :heh:

Two questions that are key for this concept:
1) Is animate dead evil for Dustmen if it's only used on people that have agreed to be raised?
Hmmm... well, the PHB lists animate dead as an Evil spell, but given the more... relativistic nature of the planes and the power of belief, I'd be willing to classify the use of that spell as non-evil in some cases, particularly by Dustmen. However, I'm slightly confused by your question. When you say, 'raised' you mean re-animated as undead, right? I would think that would be a less evil use of the spell than if it was used on someone unwillingly. And of course, Dustmen consider any type of resurrection magic completely abhorrent. ;)

2) Would we be able to swap out the paladin ability to turn undead for rebuke undead?
Hmmm... I would have to say no to this one.

I've listed prepared spells, but how many spells would Vlad have in his spellbook? Let me know.
Vlad would get his initial allotment (all cantrips, plus 3 + Int mod at 6th level), plus 2 every wizard level thereafter for free. Uh... in his case, that would be 18 free spells. Any spells above that, he would have to pay for the cost of inscribing into his spellbook, up to however much he wanted to spend out of his starting money.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Sephiroth no Miko said:
Ooo... a paladin/necromancer... interesting idea! :eek: If he was a champion of a god of death or something like that, I could see it flying. As for the undead cohort, it depends on the type of undead. A ghost or some sort of intelligent zombie, probably. A vampire or ghoul, probably not. But I'm willing to let it in.

I'm trying to find an appropriate god of death (Wee Jas looks like the best bet, as she's LN, although how he heard about her on Ysgard would be interesting -- simplest answer would probably be a cleric travelling through with adventurers, but I'll see if I can come up with something a little bit better before applying Occam). As for the cohort, I had actually been leaning towards a ghost, maybe a close personal friend that had passed in battle, that sort of thing (which would be kind of Ysgardian).

Sephiroth no Miko said:
Hmmm... well, the PHB lists animate dead as an Evil spell, but given the more... relativistic nature of the planes and the power of belief, I'd be willing to classify the use of that spell as non-evil in some cases, particularly by Dustmen. However, I'm slightly confused by your question. When you say, 'raised' you mean re-animated as undead, right? I would that would be a less evil use of the spell than if it was used on someone unwillingly.

Yes, I meant re-animated, not raised. He'd only use the spell on folks that wanted to be raised.

Sephiroth no Miko said:
Hmmm... I would have to say no to this one.

Fair enough. Command undead and halt undead can be used to similar effect anyhow.

Sephiroth no Miko said:
Vlad would get his initial allotment (all cantrips, plus 3 + Int mod at 6th level), plus 2 every wizard level thereafter for free. Uh... in his case, that would be 18 free spells. Any spells above that, he would have to pay for the cost of inscribing into his spellbook, up to however much he wanted to spend out of his starting money.

Gotcha. I'll play around with that when I do equipment later tonight. :)

Best,
Nick

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Standard scribing cost is 100 gp per spell level (tho, usually one is better off by buying a Boccob's blessed book, which covers that cost completely), plus the cost to obtain the spell knowledge (either a scroll, or some NPC who let's one copy the spell for a fee, which comes down to 50 gp per spell level for spells above 1st level and 25 gp for 1st level spells).

Bye
Thanee

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
I'm trying to find an appropriate god of death (Wee Jas looks like the best bet, as she's LN, although how he heard about her on Ysgard would be interesting -- simplest answer would probably be a cleric travelling through with adventurers, but I'll see if I can come up with something a little bit better before applying Occam).
Well, you have practically any god from any supplement/pantheon open to you. It's the multiverse, after all. :p And since you're not a cleric, we don't have to worry about domains.

As for the cohort, I had actually been leaning towards a ghost, maybe a close personal friend that had passed in battle, that sort of thing (which would be kind of Ysgardian).
Very. :) Cohorts use the 28 point buy method to generate stats, by the way. Eek. Ghosts have a +5 level adjustment according to the MM, though... :uhoh: which is rather high. If you have Ghostwalk, I would be willing to let you create a ghostly cohort that way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads