Planescape Planescape to languish in purgatory?

While they've hinted at Planetouched Tieflings being different from the PHB Tieflings, and a couple of books such as Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes did try to introduce some variants and subraces. The Planetouched Tieflings in the Planewalkers Handbook are a varied subrace with many variations on appearances and abilities, as they could not only come from Devils, but also Demons, Yugoloths, Gehreleths, Hordelings, Night Hags, and other fiends or just plain mutations from Lower Planar influences.

Going by some of the guidelines from Tasha's Cauldron and expanding it a bit more, I'd allow not only exchanging ability scores and skill bonuses, but also spells for other spells of the same level and fire resistance for another type of resistance, for a quick and easy version of how to handle Planetouched Tieflings.

Though for further things like flight (if allowed) it's exchange that for all spell-like abilities, or allow it to be learned later as a feat. While some things like Light Natural Armor (AC 13) or Natural Attacks such as Claws might be exchangeable with Fire Resistance.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I would very much like to see a Planescape book in 5e, and I think it's likely to be one of the "3 classic settings" that will get republished. I also think that Dark Sun and Ravenloft are the most likely candidates for the other two settings they will transfer to 5e. If I had to pick another setting that is fairly likely to come to 5e, it would be Spelljammer or Greyhawk.

I personally would prefer Planescape, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer to be these settings, but I don't think Spelljammer will be coming soon for a variety of reasons (the lack of worlds with crystal spheres in 5e, heavy changes the nature of the setting, and other reasons).

I honestly don't think we'll see Ravenloft outside of Curse of Strahd. Wizards of the Coast seems to see Ravenloft as an adventure involving Strahd, not as a fully-fledged setting. (Note Ravenloft was one of the settings Wizards cancelled upon purchasing TSR, and never revived).

Dragonlance, far less likely with the Hickman/Weis kerfuffle. Greyhawk, if they had opened up the DMSGuild fully for it after Saltmarsh I'd say no, but the fact they didn't implies more is planned.

My bets are on Dark Sun and Spelljammer, and a Planescape/Manual of the Planes mashup, and maybe Greyhawk, so perhaps:

"The Wanderer's Guide to Athas"
"The Voyage of the Spelljammer"
"Shemeska's Guide to Sigil"
"Melf's Guide to Greyhawk"

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I honestly don't think we'll see Ravenloft outside of Curse of Strahd. Wizards of the Coast seems to see Ravenloft as an adventure involving Strahd, not as a fully-fledged setting. (Note Ravenloft was one of the settings Wizards cancelled upon purchasing TSR, and never revived).
They said that Vistani would appear in two upcoming products. I can see them having the Vistani appear in an upcoming adventure, but the other one has got to be a Ravenloft campaign setting (IMO, of course).

I have said several times Ravenloft will come back because Hasbro notices a great potential as cash-cow multimedia franchise. I mean Ravenloft will come back not only for the games, but also for action-live productions. Maybe the lore will be altered to allow stories set in modern age. You can't blame Hasbro if this wants an Enternaiment-One version of American Horror Story.

In the past Dragonlance heroes were the most famous and popular characters from D&D franchise. Only a fool would say not to the revival. I would bet Hasbro wants a future videogame based in Dragonlance, altought with the option of playing non-canon characters.

At least a new planar handbook, with planetouched races and planar dragons, and not only the factions but also the gatetowns, is perfectly possible. We aren't asking a miracle.

But other thing would be totally different if WotC has got some plan about a multiverse crisis event causing an almost total reboot of the D&D worlds.

Sometimes I think some old settings will come back when a videogame will be published, for example Birthright.

A videogame for mobile needs less a year, and Spelljammer may be perfect for this. I imagine a Dark Sun videogame as a survival sandbox, something like Conan Exiles and other games where you can build a stronghold and farming.

They said that Vistani would appear in two upcoming products. I can see them having the Vistani appear in an upcoming adventure, but the other one has got to be a Ravenloft campaign setting (IMO, of course).
They said the Vistani would be referenced in two upcoming products. And one of those is Tasha's, with Luba's Tarokka of Souls, and the accompanying sidebar, which goes to great lengths to state the Vistani are an accepting and welcoming people, with those like Madam Eva being the exception amd not the norm.

They said the Vistani would be referenced in two upcoming products. And one of those is Tasha's, with Luba's Tarokka of Souls, and the accompanying sidebar, which goes to great lengths to state the Vistani are an accepting and welcoming people, with those like Madam Eva being the exception amd not the norm.
And the other was Curse of Strahd Revamped.

Dioltach

Legend
The gods have never had statblocks in any DL release, not sure why you would start now.
Pretty sure at least Paladine and Takhisis had stat blocks in Dragonlance Adventures. Paladine was 800th level, Takhisis 666th.

This was one reason for the 18th-level cap on PCs in early editions: otherwise it was just a matter of time before they decided that 666th level wasn't that much of a challenge.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Pretty sure at least Paladine and Takhisis had stat blocks in Dragonlance Adventures. Paladine was 800th level, Takhisis 666th.

This was one reason for the 18th-level cap on PCs in early editions: otherwise it was just a matter of time before they decided that 666th level wasn't that much of a challenge.
All of Krynn's gods have stat blocks in Dragonlance Adventures, but Takhisis and Paladine only had a total of 80 levels each.

Takhisis.jpg

twofalls

DM Beadle
That would be an easy solution, to be sure. For some, including myself, I tend to avoid including DMs Guild stuff in my games. Granted, we've seen things like Ed Greenwood publishing FR stuff on DMs Guild, but on the whole there's a difference between an official release and some rando coming up with stuff for a setting.
This confuses me a little Ralif, what does it matter if your whole campaign is WotC cannon or not? Even the game designers expect you to homebrew the game a little, they make that plain in their products, and frankly I would do it if they liked it or not. The products are thiers, but the game is mine. What benefits to you get out of refusing anything but straight WotC content? Or am I reading too much into what you said?

Remove ads