D&D 5E Players: Why Do You Want to Roll a d20?

I really don’t like rolling d20.

I think the number range is far too variable, especially when your characters are low level, and want my games to cleave to the average (with exceptional high/low results being rarer).

I also don’t like how long it takes players to count their naughty word. I will always use a dice rolling program when and where possible (as DM or player). I encourage my players to do the same. I recently started watching Critical Role and I absolutely cringe at how much time I have to spend listening to “6...6...4....1... that 15. No, wait. 17. Plus 1d6... is...”

I want to pull my hair out.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No it doesn't. My effectiveness as a DM is unchanged by good players, bad players or indifferent players. If the game grinds to a halt or gets clunky due to things bad players do, that's a reflection their effectiveness as players, not mine as DM. The game was presented as effectively as I could make it and they screwed it up. Similarly, if I'm a bad DM and great players are making the game more fun and enjoyable, that is not a reflection on my skill and effectiveness, which remains unchanged. It's a reflection on their great effectiveness.

Or one could also say the DM's effectiveness could be improved by adjusting oneself to the group's preferences in which case my assertion holds in that it's in the DM's control.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
D20 is like the Goldilocks of dice. D4-d12 maximum roll is too common. D100 is too rare. That’s why I like it. Plus D&D means d20 and d20 means D&D to me.

5ekyu

Hero
D20 is like the Goldilocks of dice. D4-d12 maximum roll is too common. D100 is too rare. That’s why I like it. Plus D&D means d20 and d20 means D&D to me.
To me, I think d20 is Goldilocks because
1 I feel like the scenes I describe and factors that create "meaningful differences" are not more accurate that 5% swings. I find need 1-2% categories for a scene that's st best "rough sketch". Its like measuring salt to the milligram in a recipe where the other ingredients are "some beef, maybe 4-6 lbs and maybe 6-8 potatoes". Its false precision. If it's less than 5% or more than 95% I move it into fiat not mechanics.

2 I want linear modifiers - so that I know +1 is 1 more time in 20 everytime I give it and not maybe a half of 1 percent or nearly 10 percent depending in where on the bell we happen to be.

3 for off the cuff odds divorced from the standards (rarely done in my game), it's easy to dial in any odds I want. Easy to figure the roll from Mirror Images without memorizing.

That's about it.

G

Guest 6801328

I give. A DM can't possibly understand what a player wants to do when it's always been blatantly obvious to every DM I've ever played with. I can ask to see if an NPC is being deceitful but if they're just scared or phrasing things oddly as if hypnotized I won't pick up on it. If I look in the basement for rats I'm not going to see stabby the clown. I'm supposed to describe what a purely mental activity looks like. We don't use code or magic words or phrases but "Can I make an insight check" is not acceptable while "I study them closely, paying attention to body language and how they're speaking to see if I can pick up signs of deceit" probably would be.

Everything I just typed will be dismissed as "you just don't understand us".

Well, what did you expect?

Do you truly believe that if you were playing a game DM'd by iserith, or Charlaquin, or myself, and you looked in the basement for rats, and Stabby the Clown was standing there, we would NOT tell you about it, since you only said you were looking for rats?

If you think we wouldn't tell you about the clown, then yes you don't understand us.

But if you think we would tell you, then why did you use that example?

So I suspect that you are somewhere in the middle: your Stabby the Clown example is meant to illustrate the absurdity of what we seem to be saying, even though you probably know we don't actually play that way.

Doesn't that paradox lead you to conclude that you still don't understand our point?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Here's a thought. Let's put things to the test with a real play example.

I'm playing in a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign. In the campaign we have discovered that some of the monsters (it appears to be mostly bugbears IIRC, or at least goblinoids), are infested with Intellect Devourers.

Now, I, the player, know that a Protection from Evil/Good will hedge out those monsters. I know that, but, it's very unlikely that my paladin would. That's a pretty esoteric piece of information. And, honestly, I asked the DM directly if my character would know that and he agreed with me that it was pretty unlikely, so, no.
Ooh! I like this question. Ok, so first of all, if I was the DM and you asked me this, I would tell you that I appreciate you double-checking, but I have no problem with your character knowing that if you would like him to. That said, if the idea that your character would know that breaks your suspension of disbelief, I would be happy to work with you to come up with a backstory reason your character might know it, or if you would prefer, you are welcome to decide that your character doesn’t know it.

So, now, in your game, what narration could I make to determine whether or not I knew that piece of information? How would you want your players to phrase things? In my group, I just stepped out of character, asked the DM directly and had a sidebar about it. But, I'm thinking that's not what you folks would want.

So, how can my paladin determine that Protection from Good/Evil is the way to hedge out Intellect Devourers.
Well first of all, I would be telegraphing the hobgoblins’ behavior, to indicate that they are acting very differently from normal hobgoblins. It would be perfectly reasonable, in my opinion, for your character to take their odd behavior as an indication that they might be possessed or otherwise controlled by some other consciousness, and to try casting protection from evil and good on them, or dispel magic, or remove curse, or splashing a bucket of water on them, or what ever else you might think of to try to get them to return to their senses. If you want to confirm your character’s suspicions that the hobgoblins’ behavior is an indication of external influence (which would be smart play, in my opinion) then there are all manner of ways you might try to do so. There are lots of spells that might be able to help you confirm or deny your suspicions - detect magic, detect thoughts, detect evil and good, divine sense... You could try sprinkling holy water on them if you suspect fiendish influence. You could try some sort of social interaction and try to judge their reactions. It’s ultimately up to you what tests you might want to try, I don’t have any particular “win button” in mind. But what your character thinks is going on with them and what your character does about that is 100% up to you, and that includes casting protection from evil and good. I’m never going to question why you decided to do that, nor tell you you can’t do something because your character “wouldn’t know that” or “wouldn’t think to do that.” And I would be happy to confirm all of that in an out of character sidebar if you asked.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Haha oh wow, I missed some s*** in the time that I was actually playing this game we spend so much time talking about... Gimmie a minute to catch up.

Charlaquin

Let's get to the heart of the criticisms shall we?
Oh, good, we can finally stop beating around the bush.

1. Magic Words. You have stated, repeatedly that if the player narrates an action in a particular way, that the DM will grant automatic success for that action. And, you have repeatedly stated that this is a good thing. How is this not, by definition, magic words? How do you avoid the player simply gaming the DM and ignoring the character? These narrations are based on the DM using bonds,flaws and whatnot as well as telegraphing to the player to guide the player to making action narrations that will bypass the skill system.

I would define that as "magic words". If the player can come up with just the right phrase, the DM will ignore the game and grant success. Not only that, but, this behavior is actually encouraged.
Maybe we’re using the term “magic words” differently. To me, “Magic words” implies that there is a specific set of words or phrases the DM already has in mind that, if said, is a magic win button. It also implies that nothing but the Magic Words the DM has in mind will be successful. That is not what we do. We set the challenges, and leave it to the player to come up with solutions, which we will evaluate and narrate the results of. That’s why when you ask us directly, “what words do I have to use to be allowed to make an Insight check?” or “what action can I take to find out this monster’s weakness,” we can’t give a direct answer. Because we don’t have a specific set of words or specific action in mind (and in my opinion, it would be bad DMing form to do so, because that really would be what I’d consider “magic words”.)

But maybe thats not what you’re using the term “magic words” to mean? It seems from this comment that you’re just using it to mean that it is possible for a PC to achieve a goal without having to pass a check based on the approach they describe. And if that’s what “magic words” means to you then yeah, I guess our play style does make that possible? But I don’t see why that’s a bad thing. That’s a good thing, in my opinion. If an action a character takes doesn’t leave any room for failure, it should succeed without a check. Otherwise you’re left with a situation where the dice clearly indicate failure, but failure contradicts the narrative.

I suspect this is our first major point of divergence in taste: I prefer to begin from the narrative, and use the mechanics when necessary to determine what happens when the outcome of a narrative action is in doubt. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I suspect you prefer to start with the mechanics and form a narrative based on the outcomes the mechanics indicate. I believe these are two equally valid ways to approach the game, but I personally do not care for the latter.

Criticism: This allows the player to ignore their character sheet, forces the DM into the front and center of the game since the player must "read the DM" in order to make action declarations, rather than engaging with the fiction.
I can agree that it makes success and failure without reference to the character sheet possible, and requires the DM to play a very active role and the players to pay attention to the DM. I do not consider that to be a bad thing, and I’m not sure why anyone would. I also disagree that it discourages engaging with the fiction; on the contrary, in my experience it encourages engagement with the fiction first and foremost, rather than allowing players to disengage from the fiction in favor of engaging only with the game rules.

2. Separation of Character and Player Knowledge. By and large, most gamers see the need to at least attempt to separate character and player knowledge. We usually call it getting into character. However, this style forces the player to directly act on player knowledge - how the player interprets the DM's at the table actions - rather than interpreting the game through the lens of their character.

Criticism: How does this style avoid the bleed over between in character and out of character knowledge?

Here is our second major point of divergence in taste. I do not see any problem with the player utilizing player knowledge, at all. Perhaps you could explain to me why you think this is a bad thing? I honestly don’t see any reason to want to take player knowledge out of the equation, and in fact, I have seen a great many problems arise specifically as a result of trying to do so. Not the least of which is the problem of trying to navigate deciding what actions you need to take in-game before it is considered acceptable to act on knowledge the player undeniably has, which you illustrated quite eloquently in your question about Intellect Devourers. You solve this problem by asking the DM out of character what they want you to do. I solve this problem by not trying to separate player knowledge from character knowledge in the first place.

3. The DM has to juggle so much at the table. There is the adventure the DM is trying to run, plus the four or five players who are all interacting to various degrees, plus various other distractions. In order for this playstyle to work, the DM must communicate virtually all the information to the players as fast as possible in order for the players to actually be able to take actions that have a chance of working.

Criticism: How do you get that information into the players hands quickly enough? How do you avoid forgetting details and how do you deal with mistakes?
I dunno, skills to pay the bills, I guess? Have I ever accidentally left out an important detail because I have given myself too much to keep track of? Of course. But I learn from that mistake and I do better next time. At this point I’ve had a lot of practice and I’ve gotten pretty good at keeping track of a lot of stuff, and also at knowing my limits and not making my own job harder than I can handle (or, not too much harder, anyway. If I don’t push myself, I won’t continue to improve). That’s an important part of being a DM in my opinion.

4. Since the players must never declare direct skill or ability checks, there will be times when the player has no idea how to frame an action in order to succeed. See the Paladin vs Intellect Devourer example.

Criticism: What happens when the player is stuck? How do you keep the game moving when the players don't know how to frame their actions?
Honestly? If the player can’t think of a way to frame an action, there’s a good chance that what they are trying to accomplish would be better executed by means other than an action. This is one of the points where my style diverges from Iserith’s. Where he would have you phrase your desire to know more about a creature, or recognize a lie, as an action so that he can resolve it as per the core mechanic, I feel that is unintuitive for most players, and clunky for me, and I prefer to handle such things by way of the player’s passives. If the NPC lies to you, I’ll make a check against your passive Wisdom (Insight), and I’ll make it clear if he fails. If you want to know a particular fact about a creature, tell me what you want to know, and there’s a good chance you’ll know it. Especially if you have a relevant Proficiency. If you don’t, you’ll need to take action steps to find out, maybe by researching the creature when you have an opportunity to do so, or by trying things and seeing how it reacts.

5. ((My personal criticism)) Time. All this back and forth between players and DM's is time consuming. The DM must convey all the pertinent information before the player can make an informed action declaration. The DM must then wait for the player to frame his action declaration without referencing game mechanics. The DM must then determine if the declaration qualifies as an autosuccess or a roll is needed and then calls for a roll if necessary. Player rolls and then DM narrates. This is far more time consuming than if the player simply leverages a game mechanic. ((Again, see the Paladin vs Intellect Devourer example - it's now, as I'm writing this, been four or five posts on the subject, rather than a single check initiated by the player)) I play 3 hour sessions. I don't have time for every player action to take this much time, nor am I interested in having player actions consume this much time.

Crtiticism: This play style drags out the game and kills momentum. How do you keep pacing high?
Again, I think this is just a matter of being jozu enough. My games used to get slowed down by this, for sure. They don’t as much any more. I’m still not as fast at it as Iserith reportedly is, but my game doesn’t run noticeably slower any more than it did before I adopted this technique. I don’t think it’s any slower than most games I’ve played in under DMs that let players initiate checks any more either.

Or, conversely, it's like someone cherry picked and then gently massaged a string of quotes from the game in order to "prove" their one true way is the best way to play and then repeatedly quoted those same quotes while at the same time ignoring the fact that folks are flat out reinterpreting the rules (as in ignoring the direct quote about being able to discern lies in Insight) in order to support their own pet project.
Yo, man, I am not ignoring the direct quote about being able to discern lies in Insight. I’ve explained to you twice now that what I meant by “a successful Insight check doesn’t allow you to discern lies” was not that discerning lies isn’t a thing that is possible with Insight, but that a check doesn’t allow you to do anything, it determines whether or not the thing you did do was successful. I’m getting pretty fed up with you trying to misrepresent my comment in order to try and use it as ammo against Iserith, who by the way, agreed with the comment in question.

See, @iserith, if all you said was, "I play this way" and left it at that, no one would argue with you. It's that you keep banging the "just written in the book" drum, all the while ignoring any and all criticisms that gets you all this push back.
But people keep asking him why he runs the game the way he does. What, you want him to lie and say it’s for some reason other than that it’s the way he understands the rules in the book? You don’t have to interpret the rules the same way he does. It’s fine, you do you.

From my personal perspective, the primary reason I'm arguing with you @iserith? You want the blunt, honest truth? It's that the worst DM's I ever played with all used identical arguments that you use. Almost word for word verbatim. In every edition. The DM's whose tables were the most dysfunctional pieces of wasted time all looked EXACTLY like what you are advocating. The DM's defended their practices by nearly directly quoting you (granted, it wasn't because it tended to predate this argument by a decade or two). So, yeah, when I see someone banging this drum, and it's a drum that's been banging for decades, I really want to push back because this play style has led to nothing but failed games and so, so much wasted time.
Look, I’m sorry for whatever those DMs did to you, but we ain’t them. Have you considered the possibility that maybe those DMs were so bad, not because they used a particular approach to action resolution, but because they were bad at DMing in general? That maybe they’d have been just as bad at it if they used the action resolution style you prefer? Cause I’ve got news for you: you’re not the only one who has had terrible gaming experiences at the hands of terrible DMs. And for some of us, those DMs did use your style of resolution, and made the exact same arguments you make in support of it. But I don’t hold that against you. I know you’re not those DMs. Hell, a lot of those DMs probably aren’t those DMs any more. Most of our worst RPG experiences have a lot more to do with the fact that we were teenagers at the time than they do with what ever method of task resolution was being used.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Again, I think this is just a matter of being jozu enough. My games used to get slowed down by this, for sure. They don’t as much any more. I’m still not as fast at it as Iserith reportedly is, but my game doesn’t run noticeably slower any more than it did before I adopted this technique. I don’t think it’s any slower than most games I’ve played in under DMs that let players initiate checks any more either.

Speed in the game has almost nothing to do with adjudication process anyway. The most amount of time is saved by having everyone pay attention and being ready to act immediately when the spotlight hits them. And by act, I mean do stuff, not ask questions while you think about what to do.

Then huge time savings come from not having pointless debates between the players about courses of action. That's handled by simply accepting serious ideas and adding to them ("Yes, and...") and then moving forward quickly.

To some degree, grabbing the appropriate dice, rolling them, doing the math, determining hits and misses, and whatnot also takes up a chunk of time. Almost all of that is done electronically in my games, whether the game is in-person or online.

All of that adds up to mean we get more done in 4 hours than some groups I've seen get done in twice that time. If they ever leave the damn tavern at all.

And, what's disconcerting about typing this for the umpteeth time is that Hussar knows this because I've said these very things to him in the past. Yet he keeps raising it as an objection as if I haven't already addressed this several times. I hope at least some other folks are reading it and benefiting because it's clearly not sinking in for him.

Yo, man, I am not ignoring the direct quote about being able to discern lies in Insight. I’ve explained to you twice now that what I meant by “a successful Insight check doesn’t allow you to discern lies” was not that discerning lies isn’t a thing that is possible with Insight, but that a check doesn’t allow you to do anything, it determines whether or not the thing you did do was successful. I’m getting pretty fed up with you trying to misrepresent my comment as ammo against Iserith, who by the way, agreed with the comment in question.

It's just more conflation of actions and checks which aren't the same thing. There's a handful of people that just don't understand this fundamental concept and so anything that stems from that is similarly a mystery.

Charlaquin

It's just more conflation of actions and checks which aren't the same thing. There's a handful of people that just don't understand this fundamental concept and so anything that stems from that is similarly a mystery.
Which is especially strange to me, because I feel like it’s such an easy concept to understand. There’s the action - the thing your character does in the fiction, and the check - the thing you do in real life to find out if the action worked or not. Even if you allow players to initiate their own checks, the check is still a physical act of rolling a die and doing some math in the real world to find out what happened in the fictional as the result of something your character did. At that point you’re just leaving the specifics of what your character did unstated, usually until after you find out the results so you can come up with a fictional explanation for them.

Remove ads