• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing a lower level copy of your character

A separate but related question: Can a character that has obtained enough exp to level into a higher tier defer leveling up until a later time? For example, can a character that has passed 85,000 exp elect to stay level 10 until the remainder of the Tier 2 Season 3 modules are out, with the intention of participating in and completing the whole of the Season 3 story?

There is no mechanism that allows you to defer xp.

kalani

First Post
Your character will level at the end of their current adventure/episode or upon taking a long rest (whichever comes first). As Skerrit said above, you cannot choose to defer levelling your character until a later desired point.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Can a character that has obtained enough exp to level into a higher tier defer leveling up until a later time?

No.

"Characters with sufficient experience must advance at the next opportunity: the end of an episode of a multi-part adventure such as D&D Encounters or a published adventure, after a D&D Expedition, or after a long rest." (From the D&D Organizers Page FAQ Wiki.)

--
Pauper

Im lucky because as the Local LC and the SOlitary dm locally running at least my table of Encounters, I have the best of both worlds. I can chose to not even run the side quest if I want and I also have control over who is at my table.
Watch out! Tyranthraxus may become tyrannical with power! Who's the Internal Affairs Department that polices LCs & RCs who go rogue? :p

kalani

First Post
While I know you were being tongue-in-cheek, this is a genuine question that some players have. For the sake of completeness, I will answer it:

If you have an issue with a member of the campaign staff, I would recommend first raising the issue with your Regional Coordinator, who will either address the issue themselves (if it relates to one of their Local Coordinators), or will forward the issue to the appropriate RC, or admin. You can also speak with the RC responsible for the LC in question (if you know who that is). If your issue is with a Regional Coordinator, you can either contact your RC, or raise your issue with one of the 6 admins directly (if you don't feel comfortable speaking with your RC, or it relates to them specifically)

Last edited:

Kalani, your attention to completeness is what completes the AL forum experience. You find legitimate questions in our asinine commentary and provide expertly crafted responses to questions that we didn't know we asked. XP very well deserved for that one.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
If your issue is with a Regional Coordinator, you can either contact your RC, or raise your issue with one of the 6 admins directly (if you don't feel comfortable speaking with your RC, or it relates to them specifically)

Good to know, as the guy who runs our table at the FLGS is our Regional Coordinator. (Not that I've had any problems with him, but still, good to know.)

--
Pauper

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads