D&D (2024) Playtest 6 Survey is Open

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is like saying it doesn’t matter if you vote, because one individual vote has negligible impact. Setting aside the fact that elections have in fact been won and lost by single votes, it’s only technically correct to say that your individual vote doesn’t make a difference. Sure, no single vote has significant impact (except when it does), but collectively, votes matter, and you as an individual must vote in order to contribute to that collective.

Sure, understand that just because you said “very satisfied,” doesn’t mean the rest of the community agrees with you. But don’t let that stop you from contributing what you can to the process. For all you know, there could be a significant bloc of respondents who feel the same way you do, but are held back because they all assume their individual responses won’t matter.
I'd say it's not that it doesn't matter if you vote... it's that putting too much emotional energy INTO your vote is just throwing away good energy after bad.

Every single vote as a combined total will definitely have an impact, I do not disagree with that. But no one individual vote is any more important than any other. But we as humans put so much emphasis and pressure ON OUR one individual vote-- we treat it sometimes like what we are voting on is life or death-- that we drive ourselves crazy over it. Much crazier than our little series of checked boxes on the survey deserve.

I just hope that despite the sometimes hyperbolic responses we see posted here on the boards... people aren't actually that perturbed by things that haven't gone through. Because nothing in these playtests deserve to live rent-free in our headspaces.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
And if none of those options are available, your PC is gimped. The wizard still has a days worth of slots available. The warlock does not. The barbarian wakes up and knows he has three rages before he's out of juice, the monk wakes up and he might have 4, 8, 12, or 16 ki points before the adventure is done. If the adventure doesn't allow for resting (a prison escape, a demon summoning at midnight, or the dungeon is filled with poison gas) then you have significantly less power than your long rest classes.
A couple of things. A spellcaster out of slots still has cantrips. A barbarian out of rages is still a pretty massive threat in combat. Yes, they are operating below maximum capabilities; that's okay. Attrition is a thing that only matters if attrition actually happens, and sometimes, attrition adds a lot to a game- especially when the pressure is ratcheting up, such as when there's a demon summoning at midnight or whatnot.

Yes, under a no-short-rest scenario, the warlock et al are at a disadvantage; but in a short-rests-whenever-you-want,-no-time-pressure scenario, the opposite is true. They are operating at above the level of the guys who have to husband their long-rest-recharging resources.

The issue with short rests is real at some tables, but I am more than ever convinced that the solution lies in two things- first, give every pc short-rest recharging abilities- possibly by sticking them into races/ancestries/whatever we are going to call them; and second, offer DMs good guidance for changing, or better still choosing, how long a short rest takes in their game under a given set of circumstances.

As a player, I have to ration my abilities under the assumption I won't get another rest.
Yes. This means you're making meaningful choices, which, in my judgment and to my tastes, enhances the game. The fact that the nature of the choice depends on both the character you're playing and the situation means that it's not the same decision over and over again.
As a DM, I have to adapt my adventures to give my players those rests even if the adventure would not normally allow Lunch Hours.
Or you can let the pcs worry about making short rests happen (more meaningful decisions- is it worth it to lose an hour?). Or you can make short rests 5 minutes, or the first one 5 minutes, or whatnot. I'll grant you that the game currently lacks good guidance about doing so, and that's worth writing in for sure.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And sometimes it works in practice. WotC has made some ameliorations of issues that can come up with Short Rests, but clearly they don't view the adventure day system itself as an issue itself...which matches my experience.

Um…clearly they do, because they keep providing ways to support other kinds of adventuring days, and when they talk about them in videos, they talk about the players that are having bad experiences wrt resting and recharging abilities.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Participate in them if for no other reason than it might make you feel good to get your feelings down on paper (the same reason why all of us spend hundreds of thousands of words typing in threads after threads after threads here on EN World when they serve no actual purpose)...
Well, it does serve two (off the top of my head purposes): 1) Entertainment; 2) Education.

Seriously, though: We all learn something while discussing these things, even if it's only about our own thoughts on the subject. Those of us that listen to each other, learn about other's perspectives as well. And that informs our perspectives, sometimes whether we'd like it to or not.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Well, it does serve two (off the top of my head purposes): 1) Entertainment; 2) Education.

Seriously, though: We all learn something while discussing these things, even if it's only about our own thoughts on the subject. Those of us that listen to each other, learn about other's perspectives as well. And that informs our perspectives, sometimes whether we'd like it to or not.
"EN World. The leading source of Dungeons & Dragons edutainment for the past 25 years!"

:)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Um…clearly they do, because they keep providing ways to support other kinds of adventuring days, and when they talk about them in videos, they talk about the players that are having bad experiences wrt resting and recharging abilities.
Yes, they are providing some bits here and there to ameliorate any issues that some tables may experience...but they aren't throwing out the system, because it works.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Rogue is good.
Druid is almost all good.
Paladin is almost all good.

I hope people praise the good along with bashing the bad. There is some really good stuff in this packet and I'd hate to see it all thrown out because people are upset about some other stuff in there.
Agree, but the Monk is so bad that if it doesn't improve, it may cause me to simply keep playing 5E as it is.

codo

Hero
I agree that there probably is "some really good stuff" in there but it's like going out to eat. It doesn't matter how good the main course is if you order a meal when the side dish comes with botulism & E.coli. Wotc has made clear that their target market is the food poisoning connoisseur & that removing the arsenic from packet5 warlock was not a lesson learned or is something we can expect them to bring back to some degree. I don't have faith in wotc's plan to begin bolting on GM needs after the fact in the DMG once everything else has been designed by munchkin for munchkin.
It would be like that if the majority of people loved to eat botulism and E.coli, and had no ill effects from it. A better example would be if you didn't like onions and your food came with onions. Just because you don't like something that lots of other people like, it doesn't make it toxic. What is toxic is calling a game and playstyle toxic, just because you don't like it.

Remove ads