D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Monk Discussion

Horwath

Legend
Tough for sure. Turns your likely +1 HP per level into +3 and lets you focus your Feats at later levels on Dex and Wis.

Which, as a side note, I really hope they take away the increase on ability scores to 22 at level 19, and then reduce the Monk and Barb cap to 24 at 20.
I really hope they cap abilities to 18.
it's more than enough and still max what you can get by rolling scores.

Can someone explain why the specific target number for the cap on abilities scores matters?

18, 20, 22..it all seems the same to me. Just an arbitrary cutoff expectation to balance monsters against.

Horwath

Legend
Can someone explain why the specific target number for the cap on abilities scores matters?

18, 20, 22..it all seems the same to me. Just an arbitrary cutoff expectation to balance monsters against.
by the numbers, there is none better than boosting your primary stat as high as possible.

by capping that number lower, players will chose feats and secondary abilities without the feeling that they are voluntary making their character weaker than it should be.

or just put feats and ASI in separate resource pool and get rid of most of the problems.

OB1

Jedi Master

For me, it matters because the higher the cap, the more it lends to players choosing the ASI Feat over other feats, leading to more uniform character builds.

And as others have mentioned, I love the idea of the cap being 18 until level 19, when it raises to 20, and then the capstone for Barbarians and Monks lets them get to 24 at level 20.

Clint_L

Legend
I am excited to see an Open Hand monk striking 5 times in a round. Damn, that guy could grapple, shove prone, attack (with advantage), attack (with advantage), attack (with advantage), and then drag you through some spellcasters damage area like spikes or the new conjure spells or whatever. Oh and now your foe, if they're still alive, can only attack you and with disadvantage from being prone with a zero speed.
I’m not sure about that last point. You didn’t spend a di point on Step of the Wind, so I think you only get the free dash action. And in any case, it only lets you carry a willing creature.

Edit: NM you are just moving him with the grapple. Yeah that works.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
For me, it matters because the higher the cap, the more it lends to players choosing the ASI Feat over other feats, leading to more uniform character builds.

And as others have mentioned, I love the idea of the cap being 18 until level 19, when it raises to 20, and then the capstone for Barbarians and Monks lets them get to 24 at level 20.
I would leave out even that 19th level 18->20 increase. let them chose something more interesting.

Also, capstone for Barbarian and Monk are horrible. Not in mechanical power, but ultimately lame and boring.
Put some work into designing something interesting.

Half expecting next PT with sorcerers capstone of +4 CON&CHA 🤮

by the numbers, there is none better than boosting your primary stat as high as possible.

by capping that number lower, players will chose feats and secondary abilities without the feeling that they are voluntary making their character weaker than it should be.

or just put feats and ASI in separate resource pool and get rid of most of the problems.
Ok. Can see how there is a concern related to the amount of mechanical potence tied to ASIs.. and the proportion of decision points that include ASIs as the most potent relevant option.

Edit: though I'm not sure that complaining about the number itself really captures that concern.

I like the idea of capping stuff at 18, and that's even Traditional.

Of course, then I'd plonk 'you get boosted to 20' to a spot where the non-casters need a pick-me-up (hey there, Barbarian lv10+). Just because it'd feel nice and special for them, as long as they don't think about it too hard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads