• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please critique this house-rule

Unwise

Adventurer
I went for a pretty simple system with one quick game I played. You get an 18 and a 14 to put where you like. All other stats are 3d6 rolled in order, no substitutions. This allows you to have a retarded sorcerer or a charismatic fighter, yet it does not effect their core role and combat abilities.

mneme

Explorer
cavalier973: Cool, glad you liked it! I take it I caught your intent well enough?

The one mod I'd probably make to my tweak is to adjust things a bit on the high end -- as including racials, PCs get up to a 20, not an 18. Given that in the resulting system, natural 18s would be hella rare, I'd probably just make 19-20 a +3 -- it would mean that a player could start with an effective 22 in a stat (in the standard math), but they'd have to roll it honestly.

cavalier973: Cool, glad you liked it! I take it I caught your intent well enough?

The one mod I'd probably make to my tweak is to adjust things a bit on the high end -- as including racials, PCs get up to a 20, not an 18. Given that in the resulting system, natural 18s would be hella rare, I'd probably just make 19-20 a +3 -- it would mean that a player could start with an effective 22 in a stat (in the standard math), but they'd have to roll it honestly.

That's fine, if it's a natural 18 that's rolled. As for increasing the ability scores, the DM would just have the player increase scores of the abilities that his character uses all the time.

So, a wizard that casts spells but also slings daggers or shoots a bow can get an increase to both his intelligence and his dexterity.
Also, use of skills contribute to the increase of the relevant ability modifier.

Destil

Explorer
Looking for a way to have random ability scores without punishing the players too much.

Replace every instance of +[Ability] in powers with the following:

Level 1-7 +4, level 8-13 +5, 14-19 +6, 20-28 +7, 29-30 +8

Retain standard rules/bonuses for feat requirements, defenses and skills.

mneme

Explorer
[MENTION=1980]Destil[/MENTION]: I think that's mising the point, though -- the ability scores should still mean -something-. My suggestion shifted things more towards level -- putting the lion's share of increase into the level-based bonus, while reserving a smaller factor for the stat.

Mapache

Explorer
IMHO, that badly messes with the low levels of the game (and makes them much harder), but epic tier would be easier.

Yeah, under the normal rules, a character will have a post-racial primary stat of 18 or 20, for a +4 or +5 bonus at 1st level. They'll pump that at every opportunity, gaining +4 in bonus and +15 in half-level bonus over the course of 30 levels, for a +23 or +25 bonus at level 30.

Under the proposed random rules, nearly everyone will have a +1 modifier from their attribute, so they'll go from +2 at level 1 to +31 at level 30. So, yeah, it leads to low-level characters being gimped and high-level characters being massively powered up.

Remove ads