Podcast #91: Professional Dungeon Masters

This week, Morrus and Peter discuss professional Dungeon Masters including a hands-on review of hiring someone to run a Dungeons & Dragons game for you. In the news, Fantasy Flight’s roleplaying games and the Lord of the Rings licenses have both found new homes, new information about Baldur’s Gate 3, the top 5 bestselling RPGs, Origins Award nominees announced, Ed Greenwood returning to write...

This week, Morrus and Peter discuss professional Dungeon Masters including a hands-on review of hiring someone to run a Dungeons & Dragons game for you. In the news, Fantasy Flight’s roleplaying games and the Lord of the Rings licenses have both found new homes, new information about Baldur’s Gate 3, the top 5 bestselling RPGs, Origins Award nominees announced, Ed Greenwood returning to write Forgotten Realms, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about how dire a dire badger actually is.

prodm.png

Subscribe on iTunes | Google Play | YouTube | TuneIn | Stitcher | Blubrry | Podbean | Spotify | Android

News

The One Ring/Adventures in Middle-earth License Goes to Free League The One Ring/Adventures in Middle-earth License Goes to Free League

Latest ICv2 Stats Sees Free League’s Alien RPG Sneak into the Top 5 Latest ICv2 Stats Sees Free League's 'Alien' RPG Sneak Into Top 5!

News Digest for the Week of March 13 (Baldur’s Gate 3, Chaosium and Chris Spivey part ways on sci-fi RPG, Starfinder FAQ website updated, WizKids Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures) News Digest for the Week of March 13

FFG Star Wars and Other Roleplaying Games Aren’t Going Away After All FFG Star Wars & Other Roleplaying Games Aren't Going Away After All

Origins Award Nominees for 2020 Origins Awards Nominees Include Alien, Pathfinder, And More!

Goodman Games Reincarnating X2 Castle Amber 5E - Goodman Games is Reincarnating Castle Amber

The Troubleshooters: 60’s Cartoon Themed RPG The Troubleshooters: 60's Cartoon Themed RPG

Ed Greenwood and Alex Kammer Working on The Border Kingdoms Ed Greenwood & Alex Kammer Working On 'The Border Kingdoms'

One Page Adventure: Flight of the Almost Dragons One Page Adventure: Flight of the Almost Dragons

Baldur’s Gate 3 AMA (EN World forum discussion) Baldur's Gate 3 AMA

RPG Crowdfunding News RPG Crowdfunding News – Ptolus, Stibbles Codex of Companions, Pasión de las Pasiones, and more

-------------------

Professional Dungeonmasters

Wired Magazine Article It’s a Living: Meet One of New York’s Best Professional D&D Dungeon Masters

Dungeon Master for Hire Homepage (San Francisco) San Francisco Dungeon Master

-------------------

Hosts: Russ “Morrus” Morrissey and Peter Coffey

Editing and post-production: Darryl Mott

Kickstarter News Column used for the Kickstarter Game: Egg Embry

Theme Song: Steve Arnott

Kickstarter Game Theme: Lyrics by Russ Morrissey, Vocals by “drwilko”, Guitar by Darryl Mott

Malach the Maleficent played by Darren Morrissey

Please support the show on Patreon at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Envisioner

Explorer
I completely didn't care about the incredibly long news section. The sketch started out being the kind of cringey and annoying comedy that podcasts in general (and the geekier D&D players in general) often go to, but they successfully kept pushing the joke until it did eventually become funny in spite of the weak beginning (very "Who's on First" or "Knights of Ni" style, though obviously not quite that good). And then finally came the part that I showed up for, which was the discussion of professional GMs, which gave me very little info on the subject. Overall, 2/5 stars. I won't be tuning in for another of these anytime soon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I completely didn't care about the incredibly long news section. The sketch started out being the kind of cringey and annoying comedy that podcasts in general (and the geekier D&D players in general) often go to, but they successfully kept pushing the joke until it did eventually become funny in spite of the weak beginning (very "Who's on First" or "Knights of Ni" style, though obviously not quite that good). And then finally came the part that I showed up for, which was the discussion of professional GMs, which gave me very little info on the subject. Overall, 2/5 stars. I won't be tuning in for another of these anytime soon.
You sound nice.

Envisioner

Explorer
I'm obviously not part of your core audience. But anyone who broadcasts themselves should be cognizant that every episode is potentially someone's first - and just as potentially their last. Nothing personal.

Arilyn

Hero
I always enjoy the podcasts. It is a news podcast, so, there's going to be news. The skits make me smile, at their worst and laugh out loud at their best. I found Peter's experience hiring professional game masters to be interesting, because it was a personal experience.

I always enjoy the cozy conversations, light tone, interesting guests, and topics. A hot drink, my dog curled up beside me, waiting for Hudson to bark, and I'm set for an enjoyable listen. 😊

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I actually do the the podcast for the news. So there is no such thing to me as "too long" news. @Envisioner
I'll agree a bit on that I'd have liked to heard more about professional GMs, but then again I find listening to Russ and Peter relaxing while I do my morning walks and I look forward to every week when they come out with a new one. Hell I wish they'd do a daily podcast for my walks. lol.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
This is exactly why I don't support podcasts often. THey are often just banter I have with Real life friends before they start discussing the relevant topics. I used to listen to them on commutes but I found by the time I got to work they have just reached the first topic, the rest was just conversation of nothing.

Arilyn

Hero
This is exactly why I don't support podcasts often. THey are often just banter I have with Real life friends before they start discussing the relevant topics. I used to listen to them on commutes but I found by the time I got to work they have just reached the first topic, the rest was just conversation of nothing.
I know what you mean, but not this one. It's a lot of news because it's a RPG news podcast. There is a also a short skit, plus a topic or guest. Morrus and Peter"s banter doesn't eat up large chunks of the podcast.

I don't listen to a lot of podcasts, but this is one of them.

Abstruse

Legend
I actually cut a lot of the "banter" out of the podcast when I edit it. If it's related to the topic at hand, I typically leave it in but sometimes Morrus and Peter get dragged off on some tangent or distraction. I cut them to try to keep the podcast close to an hour or maybe 70 minutes because it's an RPG news podcast and that should be the focus.

And for the people who want to hear Morrus and Peter's more off-topic banter, I save those bits and collect them into the Bonus Content episode for our Patreon backers every week at http://patreon.com/morrus so that way the entertaining but off-topic chats don't get lost.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads