D&D 5E Polearm Master feat: very good?

Skyscraper

Explorer
Played a one-shot last weekend, and one PC had the Polearm Master feat. This feat provides two advantages:

1) you get to make one extra attack dealing 1d4+ABILITY (STR) modifier as a bonus action
2) other creatures that enter the PC's reach provoke an OA

Granted, we played in a game where there were a lot of mooks and melee combatants. Still, this feat provided one extra attack on the PC's turn, and usually one extra attack outside of his turn, every round. That's a lot, no? I haven't experienced a lot of feats as of yet, but at least some appear like they wouldn't compare to this one. Or are there a bunch of solid choices like this?

brehobit

Explorer
One of the best feats. Now keep in mind that first part is good, but not massively better than a d6+0 attack you can get without the feat (two-weapon combat). The second part is huge however.

It is probably the best feat for maximizing attacks. Action and bonus can be attacks always and reaction somewhere between 1 and N times most fights. Very handy.

Paraxis

Explorer
Very good indeed.

The bonus action attack would also gain any magical bonus the polearm has.

The bonus action attack is with a two handed weapon so things like great weapon fighting style apply to it.

brehobit

Explorer
I'm less clear on if I'd grant reach. Seems like you'd have to grasp the sharp end of the thing to pull that off. Plus, using the butt of the weapon is common, but only for close-in combat. So the realist in me doesn't like that. But RAW, "probably".

Elric

First Post
Polearm Master is very good. From http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?366703-Feats-that-are-particularly-great-at-low-levels, more opinions on good feats:

There are a few feats that seem particularly incredible at first level (the Variant Human gets a feat at first level instead of needing to wait until level 4).

Heavy Armor Mastery is great because DR 3 is a large fraction of damage at this level and because magic weapons or the damage types it doesn't protect against are comparatively rare.

Healer is great healing ability at first level but seems to drop off compared to things like Cleric spells at higher levels.

Inspiring Leader on a high Cha character is so many temporary HP at first level. It seems great throughout your career as long as it's a 4+ character party.

Great Weapon Fighting can be triggered consistently without setup or a build dedicated to it because HP are so low at first level. It's a great feat at any level, but can get consistent bonus attacks at very low levels without needing many attacks, Advantage, or an expanded critical range.

And from sigfile:
Lucky - You can effectively give yourself advantage or force disadvantage on an enemy three times per day, and you get to wait until after you or the enemy rolls the dice to use it. Potentially the best feat in the game.

Polearm Master - have a free bonus action attack (bonk + full mods) with reach. Not good enough? Okay, you get a reaction attack when something enters your reach, too. Good grief.

Since anything that grants a bonus action attack is going to be golden, Crossbow Expert needs to be considered. The fact that it does away with disadvantage on ranged attack rolls when standing next to an enemy regardless of the character's weapon type is gravy.

That's another perk with Great Weapon Master - the conditions that grant the bonus attack aren't actually tied to heavy or two-handed weapons. Only the giant accuracy-for-damage tradeoff requires a heavy weapon.

Honorable mention goes out to Observant - at low levels, spotting the ambush early can easily be the difference between life and death.

On the flip side, Sentinel is a trap at starting levels. This isn't 4E; a lowbie fighter that forces all the kobolds to attack him or else is going to end up a bloody smear on the ground.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think polearm master is strong. It's main benefit is getting a free attack when the enemy first closes with you. After that, the extra d4 attack is not really that special - you could simply wield a shortsword and get similar damage range (d6 vs say d4+3). It is not a concealable weapon however, and some DMs might impose penalties using it in cramped quarters. You do give up other excellent feats by taking it, of course, like shield mastery, or defensive duellist. It is a strong choice however, no doubt about it.

Bayonet

First Post
I do like the idea that it gives one a bit of "battlefield control", in that no enemy can move into a 3x3 square without getting a halberd spike in the gob. For a fighter who likes to wade in and take on all comers, it looks pretty good.

Remove ads