Politics And Gaming Subforum or Tag?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
We're getting a lot of threads which are about the politics of gaming, or political issues and how they come in contact with gaming and/or gaming products and companies.

There is nothing wrong with these threads (at least in my view) but I do think they're starting to become their own "thing". They're not really "D&D" threads, and they're not really "Pathfinder" threads, they're more "Politics & Gaming" threads. The theme of the thread, however it starts out, pretty rapidly veers into a discussion of the political aspects of that gaming topic rather than the game discussion itself.

So I'd propose either there be a new sub-forum which would include those threads, or in the alternative a meta-tag that would label them as politics and gaming (or whatever term people think is best - "politics and gaming" doesn't seem precise enough but my imagination is failing me on a better name) so that when someone clicks on "5e" they don't get "5e as it relates expressly to political issues" but instead get "5e rules" or "5e upcoming products" or other more direct 5e game-related topics, as opposed to how the game comes in contact with political topics.

Is this something the admins would consider? What do others think, or is there a better way to do this that I have not thought of, or is this a silly idea that is trying to solve for an issue that does not exist?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I love the idea, but I worry that any invocation of politics (even Gaming and Politics) would invariably weaken the already-permeable barrier.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I’m of two minds, unhelpfully.

On one hand, a toolbox is a nice place to put tools. Without a designated space for it, you get tools everywhere and that’s not ideal. At least with a toolbox, you know where to go. Likewise a forum for the subject may help properly contain it.

On the other hand, I kind of like the “No politics” rule. I can’t remember the last constructive discussion I had on the subject.

Hm. I lean toward not having it. Or not participating in it if it exists. But with full knowledge I might fail that and get sucked in.

Retreater

Legend
I like the idea of separating it out. However, individual posts (and their responses) sometimes break out in otherwise threads intended to be non-political. Maybe we could just redirect those posters to duke it out in the Politics subforum?
However, I think such a subforum dedicated to solely such posts would quickly devolve into a place I wouldn't want to visit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They're bloody exhausting me, I'll tell you that. They ruin every day when I have to wade in and moderate and then get subjected to a barrage of PMs and emails and insults and accusations and lectures, and there seems to be a new thread every day right now.

I think a subforum or tag for them would actively encourage them. And a forum with a politics subform -- as I have learned -- is not a forum I want to be part of.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I’ve been avoiding those threads, but if they’re causing grief to the moderators, I’d rather see a topic ban than a sub forum. Moderator’s decision, of course.

I've been mostly avoiding these forums until today. I was happier that way.

It seems hard to avoid entirely, given that WoTC and others are doing a lot of things right now (and rightfully so).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
They're bloody exhausting me, I'll tell you that. They ruin every day when I have to wade in and moderate and then get subjected to a barrage of PMs and emails and insults and accusations and lectures, and there seems to be a new thread every day right now.

I think a subforum or tag for them would actively encourage them. And a forum with a politics subform -- as I have learned -- is not a forum I want to be part of.

I had not considered the possibility it would increase the number of these posts rather than decrease them. When "Warlord" discussions were given their own sub-forum it decreased the number of those discussions. But maybe that was the nature of that topic, and a political topic would result in just more of those posts since it would seem a tacit endorsement of posting about politics if it gets a special label.

Well, darn.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases