D&D 5E [Poll] Are Dragonmark races allowed in your game?

Are Dragonmark races allowed in your game?

• No, because they are too powerful

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted No, and my reason is because I'm not running Eberron at the moment.

But when I was running an Eberron game last year, I allowed all of them. It didn't break the game.

Bolares

Hero
Hey, don’t get me wrong, I think Eberron is awesome! It’s just… Awesome for other DMs to run, and me to play in. I prefer to run my own games in homebrew settings. Or Dark Sun.
I was just messing with you.... now that you've said it... god, I miss playing in Eberron. Been DMing it for a decade, but probably played in it 2 or 3 times.

Bolares

Hero
In a more usefull note... I don't think they are broken or nothing, and with the new tasha's changes they can open up a lot of fun builds. They have a HEAVY Eberron lore focus (as they should) but the mechanics are clean enough that I think you can reskin them easy enough if a player of yours wanted to play with one of them. I'd ask the player why they want to play a dragonmarked character, and if they mind changing the lore to fit the world.

Unless it's an Eberron campaign, probably not. I'm fine with people playing a Changeling or Warforged in a non-Eberron setting, but a lot of what makes the Dragonmarks interesting is tied up in the lore and setting of that world, perhaps too much so to port over. Sure, you could use them, but at that point you're losing a lot of the flavor that comes with it, and just focusing on the power. Maybe I'm being too cynical there...

I played in an AL game where someone had a Dragonmark, which was patently against AL rules. The DM didn't say anything, so I didn't, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Stormonu

Legend
In an Eberron game, yes. In other campaigns, no.

Haven’t had anyone ask for my home brew, and I’m not sure I’d allow it there. I might, and would have to change some fluff, as I don’t use dragonmarked houses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Unless it's an Eberron campaign, probably not. I'm fine with people playing a Changeling or Warforged in a non-Eberron setting, but a lot of what makes the Dragonmarks interesting is tied up in the lore and setting of that world, perhaps too much so to port over. Sure, you could use them, but at that point you're losing a lot of the flavor that comes with it, and just focusing on the power. Maybe I'm being too cynical there...

I played in an AL game where someone had a Dragonmark, which was patently against AL rules. The DM didn't say anything, so I didn't, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.
In an Eberron game, yes. In other campaigns, no.

Haven’t had anyone ask for my home brew, and I’m not sure I’d allow it there. I might, and would have to change some fluff, as I don’t use dragonmarked houses.
Yeah I guess my POV on them doesn’t really feel beholden to the houses, because we have been using them as “you are of a magical themed lineage” for years. My wife has a Mark of Scribing Gnome Artificer in my FR game, and a Mark of Shadow Gnome in my AU Earth Crossroads campaign. I’ve got a Mark of Making Human Artificer that I’ve used a couple places. In my wife’s COS game she was marked by the same magitech accident that cost her an arm, gaining slightly blue-tinted skin rather than a tattoo. In Space Fantasy she is instead marked by an ancient power vaguely analogous to The Force, but more arcane and with physical signs that manifest with puberty.

I just don’t see any…tension, in using them without using the houses.

Remove ads