Unearthed Arcana Poll: How will the US Class Feature Variants be brought to Market?

How will WotC make the latest UA Class Variants officially available?

• Free PDF

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Updated PHB

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Free PDF and Updated PHB

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Setting Guide

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Xanthar's Style Player's Guide

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.5%

MarkB

Legend
As the thread stats, how will WotC bring the latest UA Class Feature Variants officially to players?
Here's an outlier guess: These features will be introduced in the Baldur's Gate III CRPG, in order to boost the flexibility of the classes in the game, and they will then be introduced into the tabletop game via a tie-in sourcebook that fleshes out the locations, creatures and NPCs introduced in the game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's an outlier guess: These features will be introduced in the Baldur's Gate III CRPG, in order to boost the flexibility of the classes in the game, and they will then be introduced into the tabletop game via a tie-in sourcebook that fleshes out the locations, creatures and NPCs introduced in the game.

I think this is highly likely, particularly the Ranger features.

I have read the translated version and I could understand more things.

We will not see soon a new edition. How to explain it? Let's imagine a gamer who loves the Sims, and there is a new edition. Then there are three phases:

• We want the return of updated version of the expansion X.
  • We want new things.
  • The balance of power is broken and this has to be fixed.

We are in the phase 1. If WotC doesn't publish more books is because they would rather a better work although this needs more time. I dare to say they are working in secret projects, someone linked to the media industry as teleseries and videogames.

Now WotC knows we like the variant options, and this is marked in the agenda, but the new edition will be after a couple of years publishing new ideas (classes with new game mechanics, for example) because they can allow themself these risks.

* In the future the classes will be like in Pathfinder 2, an optional list of "class feats" where you can choose your favorite class features, and then the subclasses would be like an exclusive list of "subclass feats".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
@OB1 I wanted to apologize if I came off as grouchy about the PHB extension idea before: I don't think it will happen, ever, but I'm sorry for being a bit forceful about it.

In the new YouTube videos today from D&D Beyond interviewing Jeremy Crawford, he wanted to emphasize that these options are not Errata to the PHB, and are designed with the purpose of not supplanting them, and being usable alongside each other. The way he talked made it sound very much like this is all for a book. What's more, he indicated that they are done with Subclasses for the time being, and that the variant options cap off the PC rules on existing Classes for the purposes of whatever product is in the works. Given that, and the small amount of rules tested in terms of page count (the words per page match what is in the printed books, though art will extend it slightly, we are still talking a fraction of a book). I'm still leaning heavily towards Setting book.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
@OB1 I wanted dto apologize if I came off as grouchy about the PHB extension idea before: I don't think it will happen, ever, but I'm sorry for being a bit forceful about it.

In the bee YouTube videos today from D&D Beyond interviewing Jeremy Crawford, he wanted to emphasize that these options are not Errata to the PHB, and are designed with the purpose of not supplanting them, and being useable alongside each other. The way he talked made it sound very much like this is all for a book. What's more, he indicated that they are done with Subclasses for the time being, and that the variant options cap off the PC rules on existing Classes for the purposes of whatever product is in the works. Given that, and the small amount of rules tested in terms of page count (the words per page match what is in the printed books, though art will extend it slightly, we are still talking a fraction of a book). I'm still leaning heavily towards Setting book.
I'm not convinced this is going to be a setting book. The way Crawford talks about adding these options to the DM's toolkit, it sounds like they're aiming for something more generally appealing. I don't see them requiring a player to buy into a specific setting just to gain access to these features.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not convinced this is going to be a setting book. The way Crawford talks about adding these options to the DM's toolkit, it sounds like they're aiming for something more generally appealing. I don't see them requiring a player to buy into a specific setting just to gain access to these features.

Good way to boost sales for a Setting book, honestly.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If it’s a “setting” book that explores multiple settings and delves into how to build worlds and explore less standard character archetypes, how to tie your PC into the world more firmly, how to create bonds and obligations, maybe some organization rules expanding on what’s in Eberron, etc,

Could also go another way, and be all about variant rules and options. Could finally see mass combat rules, stronghold rules, etc.

Or something wholly outta left field. 🤷‍♂️

@OB1 I wanted dto apologize if I came off as grouchy about the PHB extension idea before: I don't think it will happen, ever, but I'm sorry for being a bit forceful about it.

In the bee YouTube videos today from D&D Beyond interviewing Jeremy Crawford, he wanted to emphasize that these options are not Errata to the PHB, and are designed with the purpose of not supplanting them, and being useable alongside each other. The way he talked made it sound very much like this is all for a book. What's more, he indicated that they are done with Subclasses for the time being, and that the variant options cap off the PC rules on existing Classes for the purposes of whatever product is in the works. Given that, and the small amount of rules tested in terms of page count (the words per page match what is in the printed books, though art will extend it slightly, we are still talking a fraction of a book). I'm still leaning heavily towards Setting book.

Just totally out of left field, perhaps it's a "Rest of the Forgotten Realms" sourcebook (basically highlighting areas outside of what was covered in SCAG)?That way it would be still fairly generic for the general audience (and thus include subclasses and variant rules like we've seen), while being helpful for those who play in the setting or just want some background info when they play one of the hard-cover adventures...

Remove ads