• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [poll] Sorcerer Satisfaction Survey

How Satisfied are You With the Sorcerer Class?

• Very satisfied as written

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Mostly satisfied, a few minor tweaks is all I need/want

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 4 3.2%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hiya!

Yes, I know the Attack + Bonus Action Attack is from level 1. And yes, at 5th he gets an Extra Attack. So that's three. And that's the limit. Three. Respectable, sure, but he has to use a very limited amount of his Ki points to do that...and at 5th level, what is that...3 maybe? (don't have the book at hand). After a Monk uses all his Ki abilities he starts to look like a masochist.
No, the Monk has 3 attacks at level 5 without spending any Ki. If they spend a Ki point, they get two attacks for their bonus action, instead of the normal one, so they have 4 attacks per round.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorcerers might be screwed out of flexibility.

But they have a scary high capacity of novaing; unloading MASSIVE amounts of damage in a very short while.

They can convert an awful lot of spell slots into sorcery points, guaranteeing that they can Quicken and Twin their best spells for every round of that nova combat.

That capacity for nova damage is unparalleled and excuses a lot of other drawbacks.

In a combat-heavy campaign where players have baseline resting abilities nothing can compete with a Sorcerer.

I guess the class fares worse in other kinds of campaigns where flexibility and role-playing potential is valued higher.

But then again, that's where the Wizard comes in.

Gwarok

Explorer
Sorcerors are theme-based casters not kitchen sink casters. Sounds to me like the people that are seeing issues just want Wizards with Sorcery points.

Well seems to me that is some pretty cold comfort, and I'm not sure exactly what about that makes them "themed". Player A has 4 options, player B gets 1 option. That doesn't make for a "Theme" so much as a rationalization for having picked an inherently limited class. Other classes do in fact have themes to them, such as Clerics, Paladains and Warlocks, who get an expanded spell selection based on that theme, and additional spells they know. That is a theme. Just getting half as many spells to choose from and being unable to alter them does not a theme make, just a toolbox with only a hammer in it. Granted when the party needs to pound some nails the Sorcerer will be really good at it, but I just don't see how that doesn't get old after awhile.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

No, the Monk has 3 attacks at level 5 without spending any Ki. If they spend a Ki point, they get two attacks for their bonus action, instead of the normal one, so they have 4 attacks per round.

Yes, correct. I guess I didn't proof read my post well enough. My point being that, for me, I feel Ki points should have nothing to do with how many attacks they can get. They should just get more Open Hand Attacks. I guess a fix would be to rejigger the Flurry of Blows to read "Can use Multi-Attack to...: Two open hand attacks at 1st level, gains a third open hand attack at X, and a fourth at Y, and finally a fifth at Z. A monk using Flurry of Blows can not make any other Attacks during the turn he chooses to use this feature". Then only give the Monk a regular Extra Attack at whatever level. Something like that to keep folks for thinking a full multi-open-hand-attack sequence takes but a 'single action' or some craziness like that.

At any rate, this thread is about Sorcerers. Of which I have no problems. (actually, just wracked my brain and came up with one? ...it would be nice to see the Wild Mage table come into play a bit more often).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Gadget

Adventurer
While I don't think that sorcerers are particularly underpowered, I do wish there was more differentiation between them and wizards. Right now the difference is in the casting stat, limited spells known, sorcery points, meta-magic and subclass features. They should at least get more meta-magic options earlier, with sorcery points refreshing quicker (probably limiting the ability to convert sorcery points to spell slots to once a long rest or some such), thereby giving them a different kind of flexibility from the wizard.

Remove ads