• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post your Lair Assault Results Here (Spoilers)

corwyn77

Adventurer
Nice build!
Just have a few questions:
Crippling Crush is when you slow/immob a target on a hit. How do you get this for each attack per round?
Iron Armbands are L6,
+2 Armor is L6.
Don't have DM's kit, not sure what the level/price of a rare is (Gauntlets) so how are they obtained?
I thought the starting gear was L6, L5, L4, 840 gp, max 2 consumables of L5.
Neverwinter Noble has a race pre-req of human with possible half-elf/orc.

Still a pretty good starting point.

Weight of Earth is an at-will that slows.

corwyn77

Adventurer
So do people think it's against the spirit of LA for the DM to see characters before hand, given they're vetted through Character Builder? One of my players casually joked about this but then I got to thinking...

But then, I'm still the DM.

Nullzone

Explorer
DM shouldn't be seeing anything the players come up with until he's already committed his monster/trap layout to the map.

@Zuche : There is a HUGE difference between a paradigm shift during the game due to an unexpected complication and a complete neutering of a class. I shouldn't be punished walking into a challenge, no matter how hard it is, simply due to the choice I made as the core tenet of my character for the duration. Do you understand how un-fun it is to sit there for three hours and feel completely helpless?

Good complication: The fire elemental that 'flares' for damage every time it gets hit. Forces some tactics changes on the party.

Bad complication: LEAVING AN ENTIRE CLASS TO SIT ON ITS THUMBS AND DO NOTHING BUT AT WILL ATTACKS.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Nice build!
Just have a few questions:
Crippling Crush is when you slow/immob a target on a hit. How do you get this for each attack per round?
Iron Armbands are L6,
+2 Armor is L6.
Don't have DM's kit, not sure what the level/price of a rare is (Gauntlets) so how are they obtained?
I thought the starting gear was L6, L5, L4, 840 gp, max 2 consumables of L5.
Neverwinter Noble has a race pre-req of human with possible half-elf/orc.

Still a pretty good starting point.

Weight of Earth Slows at-will

Noble is a generic theme from Dragon 399 with no race restrictions, that gives me a free common level 6 item, and that's where the +2 armor is coming from.

Gauntlets are level 5. Acquisition rules don't differentiate between common, uncommon and rare, the only restriction is you can have only one rare per tier. So I get the gauntlets as the level 5 item, and it just happens to be rare.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
That was not a screwup. I'm not going to feel bad because someone made an unfortunate build choice here. I'll commiserate with them on the basis of a bad roll, and I'll be glad to applaud them on a clever or lucky moment, but an unfortunate choice of build? In a campaign, sure, but here?

Horse hockey. They totally shut down two types of somewhat common builds. Not just a little, but completely.

Maybe next time, they'll say "If you are using an Axe, then every time you hit with it, your PC and every PC within 3 squares takes 10 cold damage.". You got lucky and didn't take an axe, good for you.

Or maybe it'll be that every time the group healer heals, then every PC within 3 squares takes 10 acid damage.

Where does one draw the line between good encounter design and crappy encounter design? Personally, I wasn't impressed by virtually any of this design. I considered the entire encounter (from not being flexible for future encounters, to handing out a map, to telegraphing players to take fire resistance, to screwing over some classes) to be a pretty subpar design. C- at best.

Sometimes, life's just not fair. Thank goodness this is only a game, where you can go back and try the whole thing again with a character that doesn't have that limitation.

Not in my group. We only played it once. It was too boring with too few ways to modify it to play a second time, especially when a party wipes through it the first time.

Sometimes, life's not fair. But there is a difference between your PC heading into this direction and falling into a trap and the encounter designers saying "Bwa ha ha ha ha ha", those offensive Swordmages (as opposed to any other class) are going to be totally screwed here. The former trap catches any player, the latter trap is designed to screw over one type of player.

One is a matter of bad luck during the encounter, the other is a matter of bad luck picking a class that the designers totally screwed over for this encounter. That poster is totally within his rights to be hacked off at WotC because that part of the design is just plain terrible.

Seriously, KD, first you complained that modestly observant players could clue into the fact that fire protection was not a bad idea for this challenge, then you complain because there's a feature that can catch them completely offguard, maybe even kill them outright? Meanwhile, I thought the former was a nice treat for the forward thinking player, and the latter the sort of potential rude shock that made the original Tomb of Horrors a classic.

A treat for a forward looking player? You mean like those reading up on it on the Internet? Snort. :p

PS. I doubt you'll find a lot of people who agree with your POV here. Screwing a specific class over is just wrong. I assume the designers just thought they were going to throw in a feature to catch Eladrin off guard and just plain forgot about offensive Swordmages. Either that, or they're pretty darn poor designers.

Scribble

First Post
You can argue that killing off teleporting classes is a dick move, but I think you can also argue that it's just another factor that you need to think about when building your "team."

It's not a non powergamer session- for instance you wouldn't pick a feat because it enhances the flavor elements of your character... You'd pick it because it gives you a bonus.

You don't choose classes because you want to play that class, you choose it because that's what you need to get the job done, and gets you the "achievement."

Personally I think it's not a "bad design" but it does feel kind of "cheap."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
You can argue that killing off teleporting classes is a dick move, but I think you can also argue that it's just another factor that you need to think about when building your "team."

And if they would have advertised that ahead of time to limit teleports, it would have been ok. People would have known that teleporting is a really bad thing and don't design your PC that way. Finding out after a player spent hours designing his PC and then running the PC is a dick move.

It would have also been somewhat ok to not allow the teleports. They just don't work. The Swordmages would not have gotten in their extra attacks, but it also wouldn't do 10 points of damage to everyone in 3 squares. Still a bit of a dick move, but not as bad as what happened.

I really have to ask the question, what if it had been that every time someone used a healing power to heal someone else, everyone in three squares takes 10 fire damage, would there have been a real outrage to the encounter from everyone? I don't see much of a difference. Dicking over one class or dicking over some others.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
My bad on the teleport. My DM missed it too. Both my wife's and my own PC should have had that come into play. Whoops.

On the other hand that teleport can now be used as an offensive weapon if played properly.

Good luck in the future guys.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
And if they would have advertised that ahead of time to limit teleports, it would have been ok. People would have known that teleporting is a really bad thing and don't design your PC that way. Finding out after a player spent hours designing his PC and then running the PC is a dick move.

But that is kinda the whole purpose/goal behind Lair Assault IMO. Go in and, using various iterations of character *and* team building, determine the optimal setup to beat the encounter.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer

I am really sorry (sort of) that you feel that way, but Lair Assault is supposed to be one Big Dick Move.

If you want to be comfortable and have things "balanced" there is D&D Encounters, Living Forgotten Realms, Ashes of Athas, etc. You got choices out there.

WotC was upfront about trying to wreck you and your PC, so consider that the only warning you get.

Cheers,

Remove ads