• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Predictions for Playtest packet 7's arrival

Vaalingrade

Legend
But I would like to think we have reached a point in player/DM relations that just because something is only found in the DMG that doesn't mean players can't have or at least ask for access to it and that DMs aren't willing to give it to them. It's a sad state if that animosity still exists between them.
I mean we're on Enworld. We've got a thread right now showing that some players are lucky their character gets to go to the tavern if the DM doesn't approve.

And we're talking 5e, where feats were optional. Keeping stuff from players is the new hotness.

I am hoping we'll see a fuller and revised list of the starter feats (and other feats too) somewhere in here. I think they are done with races (though I would like another pass on them as well). But a revision on starter feats could help lead to improvements.

I'd like more races, specifically the Aasimar and Genasi added, with a new take that brings them more in alignment with PHB 2024 Tieflings, they've earn being a PHB core race.

It saddens me to think that putting a rule in the DMG is considered sealing it away. As though they are stuck playing with DMs who are so set in their ways that they will refuse to use extra or variant rules in the DMG even if the players want to.

If this is genuinely an issue for a large number of players, then yes, the mixes species rules should be in the PHB. But I would like to think we have reached a point in player/DM relations that just because something is only found in the DMG that doesn't mean players can't have or at least ask for access to it and that DMs aren't willing to give it to them. It's a sad state if that animosity still exists between them.

There are, and even when there isn't, there is the possibility that hybrid rules don't make it into the SRD if they aren't in the PHB, and honestly it's more convenient. Plus the DMG has enough on its platter.

Last edited:

Hmm. I had suspected that after the flap about removing half elves and half orcs, we'd see a playtest on rules regarding that. They even tweeted something to that effect. Maybe that's DMG specific though.
Inb4 their solution is still removing half-elves/half-orcs, but also removing the hybrid species sidebar option. Then scrubbing all half elves and half orcs from the lore.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With several more playtests coming out through the end of 2023, my own feeling is that anyone and everyone who wants Multi-Speciesing rules should make sure to talk about it and ask for it in every playtest survey that comes out-- even in sections that aren't specifically about the species rules.

Because at the end of the day... having a Mixed Species entry or sidebar that lists each of the species in the 5E24 and two specific species features from each of them that will get swapped out for the two from the second species to create a mixed species character is such an easy thing to do that I don't know why Jeremy et. al. wouldn't do it.

Remove ads