D&D (2024) Predictions for Playtest packet 7's arrival

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am hoping we'll see a fuller and revised list of the starter feats (and other feats too) somewhere in here. I think they are done with races (though I would like another pass on them as well). But a revision on starter feats could help lead to improvements.
I think that they've pretty much got to do something with UA8 other than just UA6 do-over. Same with UA9. It can't just be UA7 "revised", can it? (I mean, they can, I suppose, and perhaps that will mean that they can come out a little sooner, and maybe they'll go back to more than bi-monthly, like they originally intended?)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that they've pretty much got to do something with UA8 other than just UA6 do-over. Same with UA9. It can't just be UA7 "revised", can it? (I mean, they can, I suppose, and perhaps that will mean that they can come out a little sooner, and maybe they'll go back to more than bi-monthly, like they originally intended?)
I think UA 6 revised for 8 seems inevitable, to.ensire they get maximum coverage of at least the Monk.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
If we're doing predictions, then they'll offer up revisions for the Warrior group, including revisions to the monk. Somehow WotC will still make a monk that sounds cool, but is pretty ineffective in actual play.
I hope they read the feedback. My own yes, but I hope they read a lot of it. The monk is so bad, I answered the survey saying that if it remained so, it would affect my decision on whether to get any of the new rule books.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think UA 6 revised for 8 seems inevitable, to.ensire they get maximum coverage of at least the Monk.
Oh, I agree. I meant that I feel like there should have to be more to it than that, not that it wouldn't include that. 8 will be a do-over of 6, but it might include some other element besides. I mean, I think we can all agree that WotC felt that 6 was pretty close to printable. So 6 over again, with just a few tweaks, wouldn't be all that interesting (or testable, really).

I cannot wait for the Fighter to go unchanged because weapon masteries were so well received, and he's the master of them. So.
That is almost certainly exactly what will happen.

WotC have no ideas for the Fighter class and have tried basically nothing, and the pathetic crumb that was weapon masteries not being hated will 100% be an excuse to make no other changes/improvements. Even though the reason it wasn't hated was because it was the first time that Fighters/Martials seemed to be getting anything.

My prediction that is in terms of actual play, 2024 will actually make the Martial/Full Caster gap worse, because the stuff they're doing to ensure Wizards stay OP will support that, and nothing about weapon masteries will make Martials more competitive at level 9 or higher.
You being bitter is not a substitute for factual analysis :)
Fluffy being bitter doesn't mean Fluffy is wrong, though, does it? Historically speaking, an awful lot of "bitter" people have been extremely right in various predictions about D&D.

And whilst in the past WotC said they'd have a spell UA, the fact that they're now locking things down for printing (barely having covered all classes - 100% as predicted by various people when this process started - loads of people said they didn't seem like they had enough time to do it the way they were proposing) means it's pretty likely we won't actually see a spell-focused UA.

Remathilis

Legend
Oh, I agree. I meant that I feel like there should have to be more to it than that, not that it wouldn't include that. 8 will be a do-over of 6, but it might include some other element besides. I mean, I think we can all agree that WotC felt that 6 was pretty close to printable. So 6 over again, with just a few tweaks, wouldn't be all that interesting (or testable, really).
I wager we'll see some of 6 in 8, probably the bard and monk and maybe the paladin. Unless something catastrophically fails (and I would not rule that out) I think the cleric, druid, rogue and ranger are mostly done and what changes they will need won't require playtest.

The rest of 8 could be several things; any species they want to test, feat fixes, spells, who knows. It might just be a small packet compared to 5, 6, and 7.

Remove ads