Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Aasimar:
Aasimon:

AA-ze-mar and -mon, respectively.

Bay-tor or bay-uh-tor

Dweomer: DWEH-mer (rhymes with "hem her"), or DWIH-mer; sometimes DWEE-mer

I'd argue for DWEE-oh-mer, personally.

Geas: GEE-ass, or GYASS (both with a hard "g")

GAYSH. Word's Gaelic.

This one stumps me. Ain't figured it out, and I've never seen a pronunciation guide. Is it supposed to derive from "genie"?

STIX. People wonder about this?

Tiefling:

TEEF-ling

Xaositects:

kay-OSS-ih-tekts.

Yggdrasil:
Ysgard:

EEG-dra-zill and
EEZ-gard, respectively.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Korimyr the Rat said:
Genasi
This one stumps me. Ain't figured it out, and I've never seen a pronunciation guide. Is it supposed to derive from "genie"?

I dunno about it deriving from genie, btu the way I say it:

Geh-NA-zee

davidschwartznz

First Post
Oryan77 said:
And that's the reason "clueless" (planescape term) say it as sij'il, they think it's the same word that's in the dictionary.
[checks dictionary] What do you know? "sij-il" is also an acceptable pronounciation. That's what I get for learning it with the proper latinate pronounciation. :cool:

Ripzerai

Explorer
Korimyr the Rat said:
Is it [genasi] supposed to derive from "genie"?

Yes. They first appeared by that name in the Planewalker's Handbook.

"The genasi are planetouched beings, the descendents of a union of a human and an elemental creature (often a djinni, hence the name genasi)." - Planewalker's Handbook, page 71.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, it's a personal pet peeve of mine when people pronounce "Bulette" as "Bulet" and "coup de grace" as "coup des gras". Grrrr.

ssampier

First Post
Ripzerai said:
Blackguard is pronounced like "blaggard," incidently, if you go by the English word.

I've always pronounced it as BLACK-guard. A blaggard is something different entirely.

black·guard ( P ) Pronunciation Key (blgrd, -ärd)
n.

1. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel.
2. A foul-mouthed person.

Neither fits the black-guard as detailed in the DMG in my mind.

Come get me, grammar police.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Odhanan said:
Interesting. I was just talking about these pronunciations with Nerissa, my fiancee, and she was telling me "but you know, the alternate pronunciations of names in D&D could be used in-game."
I asked: "How?"
She answered: "Well, for instance, naming a drow with another pronunciation could be an insult for them, as if you're treating them like they're from the surface world".
I tend to agree with Keith Baker's comments when asked how to pronounce certain Eberron words. He'll say "I pronounce it...." However, he'll comment that varying pronunciations aren't unlikely.

For example, Drow might rhyme with "Cow" in Northern Breland, but in Southern Breland it could rhyme with row (as in "row, row, your boat."

Rather than saying a particular pronunciation is wrong, it's probably easier (and less contentious) to say they are regional variations.

Remove ads