Proper Pronunciation of all D&D words!

Chimera

First Post
Bull Et.

Tare-ASK.

Imagine my surprise (and amusement) when I joined a group where the GM pronounced these as;

Bull- etty

and

Tear - Askew.

Of course, the same guy pronounces Scimitar as "smitar" and Periapt as "pear-ih-pat". :p

Chimera

First Post
Agamon said:
And then there's your name. Ky-meer-ah. Not chym-er-ah, as I've too often heard.

I've been using it in one form or fashion for at least 20 years and have heard an amazing number of variations, some so bizarre I didn't even recognize them when spoken.

I've always pronounced it Ky-mare-uh.

Yours must be pronounced Egg-em-on, eh? :lol:

the Jester

Legend
Zhnov said:
Any ideas on how to pronounce "Fochlucan" as in Fochlucan Lyrist?

Z

Don't know if it's proper, but my pronounciation of it is:

FOCK-luke-in

I would guess that a gaelic speaker would give you a more accurate but substantially more difficult answer. :) :cool:

arscott

First Post
resistor said:
That's horrible, even by the fakey French phonology. If it were meant to be boo-LAY, it should be spelled "bulet." As written, it's boo-LET.
The worst one for that is Ixitxachitl. the guide has it as 'iks-it-ZATCH-i-til' or 'ik-zit-zah-chih-tull', but it's clearly meant to look aztec (where the X is a ch or sh sound).

As for drow, everyone knows it rhymes with bow, sow, and row.

Contrarian

First Post
Oryan77 said:
That's something that has always puzzled me. I don't understand why people always compare a "D&D" word as being pronounced incorrectly because "that's not how you say it in french/dutch/german/russian/ect". The same thing with the whole Sigil debate and it being a word in the dictionary. We are talking about words from a fantasy setting, not a French culture from planet Earth or an 'English' dictionary.

Whenever somebody pulls the "That's not how bulette would be pronounced in French!" crap with me, I alway respond "It's not French, it's Suloise."

99% of them have no idea what I'm talking about. Damn kids.

Oryan77 said:
If anyone can provide a link to a statement from a TSR/WotC creator giving proof on the real way to say Bulette or any other words, that would be great. Then I can change the above list and add in the explanation/source.

"Ay pronunseeAYshun gyd" by Frank Mentzer, Dragon #93 (and probably the source of that Dragon Compendium article people keep mentioning), gives the acceptible pronunciations as "boo-LET, or byoo-LET; also boo-LAY, or byoo-LAY". ("let" rhymes with "met" in his orthography.) He claims to have listed pronunciations in order of "most common or preferred."

Mentzer, in addition to being a longtime TSR editor (and the lead designer for Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortals boxed sets), is well-known as a Friend of Gygax. I'd say he's about as official as it got in 1985.

The 2E Monstrous Compendium page for the Bullette, on the other hand, gives "boo-LAY" as the only pronunciation. That's as offiical as it gets for 1989.

See where I'm going with this? With a company that's been know to retcon the shapes of continents, there is no true-and-eternal pronunciation of a word. (Oh wait -- that's true in the real world, too. Figure that.)

I still go by the Mentzer guide for most things, except of course for bulette, because I just like saying "boo-LAY".

Turjan

Explorer
Agamon said:
Yeah, it's a personal pet peeve of mine when people pronounce "Bulette" as "Bulet" and "coup de grace" as "coup des gras". Grrrr.
Oh, you know people who know something about pronunciation?

Personally, COO-de-GrAH calls for a mental image where the combatant dips his hand deeply into a bucket of lard and hits his opponent with a nice handful of the greasy stuff in the face :D.

Remove ads