(Proposal) Let's build the LEW Pantheon!

Sparky

Jack Haggerty said:
Here's another question...

When detailing a deity's favored weapon, some people list a mundane weapon for the clerics, while others list a magical weapon... presumably what the god carries and fights with. I had always assumed it should be the first, since actual gods are unlikely to be encountered and undoubtedly have more potent weapons in their arsenals.

Or am I being stupid, because it really doesn't make a difference?

Does anyone else have an opinion?

I would say a mundane version of the stated weapon should suffice - or a suitable magical version (no Frost Brands for Fire gods). I think a distinction between favored and favorite should be mentioned here. Some of the weapons are mentioned as a weapon the god might bear should they appear in the world - their "favorite" weapon - which I think is a cool touch. A "favored" weapon should be a specific weapon type the god has an affinity for and, unless specifically stated, magical versions of weapons need not be wielded to satisfy any weapon requirements (as with the War domain).

My $0.02.

dpdx

Explorer
Jack Haggerty said:
For the record...

Here's a list of the currently proposed deities that have not yet been completely approved by the judges: {snip}

Chennet', NG God of the Forge.
Small pt. of info: Chennet's good to go. He got approved roughly a coupla weeks ago.

[on edit:]

Here's what I came up with for a Forge domain (I renamed the Metal domain to avoid confusion and changed roughly half the spells, and the domain power.):

FORGE

Domain Power: Free proficiency and focus with your
choice of axe (including exotic ones).

1-Magic Weapon
2-Flame Blade
3-Keen Edge
4-Greater Magic Weapon
5-Flame Strike
6-Blade Barrier
7-Teleport Metal Object (like Tel. Obj., only object must be at least half metal).
8-Iron Body
9-Repel Metal or Stone

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
For the record...

Here's a list of the currently proposed deities that have not yet been completely approved by the judges:

Thanks for the consoldated info, Jack! Very helpful.

I'll start moving approved deities on to the official list after Thanksgiving weeked. :)

garyh

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
Here's another question...

When detailing a deity's favored weapon, some people list a mundane weapon for the clerics, while others list a magical weapon... presumably what the god carries and fights with. I had always assumed it should be the first, since actual gods are unlikely to be encountered and undoubtedly have more potent weapons in their arsenals.

Or am I being stupid, because it really doesn't make a difference?

Does anyone else have an opinion?

I think listing the deity's personal weapon is fine, as clerics wil just use a mundane or mortal-scale magical version of it. For Hyrag, I named his weapon, but didn't stat it. That's a fine middle ground as well, as I don't expect LEW to need deity stats anytime soon. ;)

Jack Haggerty

First Post
dpdx said:
Small pt. of info: Chennet's good to go. He got approved roughly a coupla weeks ago.

The vagaries of having proposals in this thread and another seperate thread...

I didn't check this thread for deity proposals, and I missed your note at the top of your proposal thread. Chennet' does not yet appear in the approved pantheon thread.

No big deal about the favored weapons... I just wanted to make certain prospective clerics weren't confused by it. Inevitably, someone would complain, "But I can't afford a +2 Flaming Warhammer, I'm only 1st level!" ;)

Velmont

First Post
dpdx said:
Domain Power: Free proficiency and focus with your
choice of axe (including exotic ones).
Why axe. Hammer would make much sense, even if there is less choice of hammer. Axe are simple weapon to make. Hammer is the tool of work of the blacksmith, and even sword are asking more work as they are made all in iron, making them, I think, a better choice than axe. But i think you should stay with hammer. If you want to expand there choice, just create a new wepaon:

Maul: Damage:1d10, Critical:x3, Bludgeoing, +2 to all sunder roll, 2 handed weapon

Last edited:

Sparky

Jack Haggerty said:
For the record...

Here's a list of the currently proposed deities that have not yet been completely approved by the judges:

Lesser Deities
  • Ayratha, LN Goddess of Fire and Change
  • Chennet', NG God of the Forge.
  • Geoth, NG God of Hospitality
  • Ieranth, CE God of Destruction and Doom
  • Phyrah, TN Goddess of Wind and Travel
  • Sela, LN Goddess of Stone and Achievement
  • Shural & Kazikazi, LN & CE Gods of Goblin Reason & Vengeance

Demigods
  • Mongrel, CN God of Wanderers and Bastards

If all of these are approved, and you also take into consideration the approved gods, there are:

1 Intermediate Diety
13 Lesser Deities
1 Demigod

1 Chaotic Good, 4 Neutral Good, 2 Lawful Good
1 Chaotic Neutral, 1 Neutral, 3 Lawful Neutral
2 Chaotic Evil, 1 Neutral Evil, 0 Lawful Evil

In other words, we have an over-abundance of Lesser Deities, and Chaotic and Evil Deities are outnumbered by Lawful and Good (not that that's necessarily bad).

I propose we make the Seven Sisters (if approved) all demigods. Assuming they can maintain their portfolios. To that: What is the role of demigod vs. full-fledged god in Enworld?

dpdx

Explorer
Velmont said:
Because greataxe is Chennet's favored weapon, and this is kind of a domain just for him. Also, the Realms Metal one is already hammer, and I didn't want to copy.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Sparky said:
I propose we make the Seven Sisters (if approved) all demigods. Assuming they can maintain their portfolios. To that: What is the role of demigod vs. full-fledged god in Enworld?

I agree.

I'd suggetst that the difference in power levels represents partially the degree of specialization, and partially the power base of the god itself. Take nature deities, for example...

Greater: Nature God

Intermediate: Elemental (Earth, Air, Fire and Water) Gods, God of Plants, God of Animals.

Lesser: God of Forests, God of Fertility, God of Oceans, God of Rivers, God of the Hunt, God of the Mountains, God of Weather.

Demigods: Gods of the Various Winds, Gods of the Four Seasons, Gods of Particular Types of Weather (Snow, Storms, Fog, Fair Weather, etc.), God of Planting, God of Harvesting, and so on...

Consider the difference between Poseidon and the Naiads, Nereids and Oceanids, for example.

Remove ads