• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Publishers that dislike d20 . . .

Voadam

Legend
Pramas said:
Indeed. Monte and I were both joking around.

I don't believe it. I agreed with your earlier point that 3e was clearly derivative of Dragonfist, what with the AC going up and all. :)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It may not be that some companies dislike d20 so much as it is that another system may be their preference or work for their games better.

Take a look at L5R. It works fine as d20, but the d10 roll-n'-keep system works better for the setting. AEG still deals with d20 products beyond that, so they just use what system works best with the types of products they put out.

In the case of Shadowrun, there's already a strong following using their basic system which has been in place well before d20. Why switch to another system when your current one works for you?

The d20 system is a very good system. The OGL and d20 licenses offer a lot, and there's a lot of customization that goes along with the system. It's not the only system out there, though. Publishers will use what makes sense both from a business standpoint as well as a creative standpoint.

Staffan

Legend
Crothian said:
So, who hates d20????
I hate one of my d20s. It's one of those funky Crystal Caste dice, and that method of die-making just doesn't work for a d20. It just keeps on rolling forever, unless you deliberately roll it into something (like the DM screen).

For those who haven't seen them, the dice look like this:
019xxF.gif

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Crothian said:
So, who hates d20????

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say. Though I've heard rumors and had more than one publisher mention it in private for four years or so now. Before I did any d20 writing I heard from a few different publishers that were only producing d20 products for money and had an active dislike for the game.

I was just surprised to recently learn that there are still people publishing d20 products that dislike the game.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
philreed said:
I was just surprised to recently learn that there are still people publishing d20 products that dislike the game.

Some people have a knack for creating their own private purgatories, I guess.

/m

Maggan said:
Some people have a knack for creating their own private purgatories, I guess.

/m

Wow. That is so well put. If I used quote for my sig file, that would be it.

(And yes, I can confirm with Phil is saying--I know d20 publishers that don't like d20 as well.)

Crothian

First Post
philreed said:
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say. Though I've heard rumors and had more than one publisher mention it in private for four years or so now. Before I did any d20 writing I heard from a few different publishers that were only producing d20 products for money and had an active dislike for the game.

So, some people hate it and even hating it they publish it; I assume since they can make money on d20 and not on whatever game system they really like? Wow, that must firther feed the fire of hatred seeing thier own sales of what they like getting killed by something they hate.

Ian Sturrock

First Post
I think the issue isn't as cut-and-dried as people might like to think. The bottom line is that anyone who is in the industry to make a living *has* to work on projects that are commercially viable; if those projects are also fun to work on for that designer or publisher, great, but it's unlikely that they're *all* going to be fun, because tastes vary enormously.

I doubt there are many people in the industry who have an active hatred for the d20 System. OTOH, I suspect there are plenty of people in the industry who really don't like statting d20 NPCs, or making new d20 monsters. (I'm not one of them, myself, but I know plenty who are.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads