D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
They're limited in function because WotC makes everything interesting into magic. Battle Master should be a baseline, not a subclass, and they should get more utility features for outside of combat.

Even the 4E fighter could have used a bit more to do outside of combat.
Battle Master can't be the baseline, because it's not simple enough for WotC's intended casual audience. Don't expect that to change.

Incenjucar

Legend
Battle Master can't be the baseline, because it's not simple enough for WotC's intended casual audience. Don't expect that to change.
I never said I expected WotC to make a better game. That's why I skipped 5E to begin with.

I'm spending all this time with the playtest in hope of getting them to change their minds.

Clint_L

Hero
They aren't changing their minds. Why would they change their minds? The 5e formula has been wildly successful. I wish you well, but this seems like a Quixotic mission!

Incenjucar

Legend
since you skipped 5e and want to change it away from what it is 10 years in, this must be the opposite of immediate surrender ;)
Indeed! If I'm going to spend thousands of dollars and hours on a game, I want it to be one I like the play of. Life is too short to just accept the mediocre default. That's why we have all these wonderful 3P products, after all.

Last edited:

They're limited in function because WotC makes everything interesting into magic. Battle Master should be a baseline, not a subclass, and they should get more utility features for outside of combat.
Maybe because we are feats only, but I feel like I have plenty of interesting things to do. Then again, a lot of that is just how we play and not as much what is on the character sheet

Clint_L

Hero
"Always give up, immediately surrender!" is not really how I roll. ;)

I don't think this could be called "immediately surrendering," since there is no war. WotC is not fighting you. They are just sticking with 5e. I'm sure they would wish you well.

"Quixotic" means futile, pointless - specifically, it kind of refers to fighting a battle that no one else even thinks exists...which seems rather apt.

Remove ads