• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .
I voted very low. Up through playtest packet 3 I was displeased but still fairly deeply invested. But the whole OGL thing both made OneD&D's absolute brand dominance seem less all-consuming, and got me hard at work making my own 5e clone taking advantage of the CC-SRD, and whether or not that goes anywhere there will be plenty of 5e games that are not such messes of committee decision-making as OneD&D is shaping up to be and that speak more to my 5e-loving heart. Basically I've just moved on.

I'll still probably buy the new PHB for reference unless it goes really off the rails, and I have some hopes that the OneD&D DMG will just be a more considered edition of the 5e one, so that might be a buy. But whereas when the playtests started it was forecasting the rules future of the game I played, now it's all only of academic interest and some interest to me as someone whose planned future 5e products may be OneD&D compatible.

I noticed that the day the most recent playtest dropped it seemed to me to barely supplant discussions of Dark Sun as the leading topic of discussion around the D&D forums here, whereas my experience whenever the prior ones dropped is that I struggled to get the site to load it was so overwhelmed with hot takes about OneD&D. Admittedly that's very much just my subjective impression, and playtest 4 seems to have gained steam in discussion over the weekend, but I think I'm not the only one who moved on.

If you don't like 5E, you're not going to like this. Since I love 5E, I'm loving the playtest.
See my hatred for everything I see in the playtest is firmly rooted in my love of 5e. So mileage is going to vary on that front.

Osgood

Hero
I have few quibbles here and there, and I think a few things like the Druid probably need significant work, but overall I really like the direction of the playtest.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Translate that to english?
...sure.

5th edition was a gross disappointment in light of what Wotc marketed. The primary (only?) innovations were Dis/Advantage to reduce "modifier" math and Inspiration (which was horribly under-utilized).

5.5 ed is supposed to be fully backward compatible, "not a new edition," and I've yet to see a major change come out of the playtest packets. So I'm not expecting anything worth getting excited.

When they announce that 6th ed is replacing OneD&D though, my excitement level will raise all the way to "meh."

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
With 4 playtest packets out and half the class redesigns revealed, thought it might be an interesting time to get a sense on how we all feel about the direction of 1D&D. What started for me as Very High to High with the first packet release has dropped to Meh level, and while I realize it's still very early in the process, I'm starting to feel very grongnardy about 5e. Interested to hear what everyone else is thinking!

Still undecided. The most recent packet reverses just about everything that made me cautiously optimistic & added some worrisome things. Getting away from front loaded dip candy classes is great sure, but that can't be the only improvement.

With the A B testing there's not an option that fits my "excitement"

Incenjucar

Legend
Skipped 5.0E, so my Meh is because the OGL thing took the wind out of my sails. I was hyped about the direction things were going, now it's effort to just consider reading the latest playtest. Hard to get that morale back.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
and the settings I want, Wizard's (with near certainty) is afraid to provide.

There's very little I think they would actually be afraid to publish, and what does qualify is better left unpublished.

But you could always ask Justin LaNasa nicely, I guess.

Dausuul

Legend
Skipped 5.0E, so my Meh is because the OGL thing took the wind out of my sails. I was hyped about the direction things were going, now it's effort to just consider reading the latest playtest. Hard to get that morale back.
Yeah, this is about where I am. I was very happy with most of what I saw in the first couple packets. Then the OGL business had me on the verge of walking away from D&D entirely. It'll take a while to regain my enthusiasm after that.

It doesn't help that arcane casters are and have always been my favorite classes, and I'm pretty sure we're going to get them last.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads